It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:57 pm 
God

Quote:
Meanwhile, your post seems to have no content at all, apart from being an impotent and ineffectual attempt to vent your spleen somehow. Of course to most normal people the concluding power fantasy in your post is just a little sad. LDS males really are excited about what they will do when they get to be gods, aren't they? What a silly idea it is.

LOL! Some LDS males get equally excited about performing before an adoring audience. Just imagine the applause that rebuke would earn!! Why, it's Shakespearean.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:11 pm 
Master Mahan

beastie wrote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, your post seems to have no content at all, apart from being an impotent and ineffectual attempt to vent your spleen somehow. Of course to most normal people the concluding power fantasy in your post is just a little sad. LDS males really are excited about what they will do when they get to be gods, aren't they? What a silly idea it is.

LOL! Some LDS males get equally excited about performing before an adoring audience. Just imagine the applause that rebuke would earn!! Why, it's Shakespearean.

Will is just reacting to having one of his worst fear realized: namely, that apologists are doing it for profit. The only thing that would make all of this worse would be learning that one of the GAs personally signs DCP's Mopologetic paycheck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:13 pm 
He-Who-Has-Not-Sinned (Recently)

Mister Scratch wrote:
Will is just reacting to having one of his worst fear realized: namely, that apologists are doing it for profit. The only thing that would make all of this worse would be learning that one of the GAs personally signs DCP's Mopologetic paycheck.

Oh you know the GA's time is much to valuable to be wasted signing payroll checks. They probably are signed by the same team of people who "sign" the missionary calling letters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 pm 
Bond...James Bond wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:

Oh you know the GA's time is much to valuable to be wasted signing payroll checks. They probably are signed by the same team of people who "sign" the missionary calling letters.

I wonder if the GA's have signature stamps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:16 pm 
He-Who-Has-Not-Sinned (Recently)

GoodK wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:

Nah...the LDS Church is all about Old School, so they probably use wax and ring seals with "PSR" or "FPrez" or "Q12" or "LDSGA4LIFE" on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:17 pm 
Master Mahan

Bond...James Bond wrote:
GoodK wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:

Nah...the LDS Church is all about Old School, so they probably use wax and ring seals with "PSR" or "FPrez" or "Q12" or "LDSGA4LIFE" on them.

It could be that they are recycling ETB's autopen....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:20 pm 
Bond...James Bond wrote:

"LDSGA4LIFE"

Priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:26 pm 
God

Mister Scratch wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:
GoodK wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:

It could be that they are recycling ETB's autopen....

Actually I think it was SWK's before ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:30 pm 
Master Mahan

GoodK---

Do you think it's fair to say that Prof. P. earned five figures (whether from royalties or whatever else) for publishing Offenders for a Word?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:39 pm 
Mister Scratch wrote:
GoodK---

Do you think it's fair to say that Prof. P. earned five figures (whether from royalties or whatever else) for publishing Offenders for a Word?

How many copies do you think he sold?

Considering the soft bound, 270 page book is being sold for $9.95, I think it would depend on how many copies he sold.

I can't fathom Dan not owning any rights to this book, or any other he is a part of.
If he doesn't he must have been compensated for relinquishing his rights.

Last edited by GoodK on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:44 pm 
Master Mahan

GoodK wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
GoodK---

I'm not sure. On the Deseret Book website, the book is being offered as a trade paperback. So: I'm wondering if it was originally issued in a hardbound copy. If so, then I would have to wager that it sold a decent number of copies in order to justify the paperback re-print. (Unless Des Book is being given marching order to keep certain titles in print....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:50 pm 
Mister Scratch wrote:
GoodK wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
GoodK---

I'm not sure. On the Deseret Book website, the book is being offered as a trade paperback. So: I'm wondering if it was originally issued in a hardbound copy. If so, then I would have to wager that it sold a decent number of copies in order to justify the paperback re-print. (Unless Des Book is being given marching order to keep certain titles in print....)

I edited my last post to add some more to it, specifically the price according to the FARMS website.

Is that book more popular than his Echoe's and Evidence book?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:50 pm 
God

I thought it was known that FARMS offers stipends for the work they produce..
I think this has been going on for at least a few years..

http://farms.byu.edu/sumsem.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:52 pm 
TAK wrote:
I thought it was known that FARMS offers stipends for the work they produce..
I think this has been going on for at least a few years..

http://farms.byu.edu/sumsem.html

Wow... Good find TAK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:58 pm 
Master Mahan

GoodK wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
GoodK wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
GoodK---

I edited my last post to add some more to it, specifically the price according to the FARMS website.

I doubt it. Why, how many copies did Echoes and Evidence sell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:40 pm 
God

GoodK wrote:
moksha wrote:
GoodK wrote:
Who do you think pays travel expenses when someone like DCP flies to Southern California to do a fireside?

Not to mention his speaking tours of the Yukon, Swaziland, Albania and Australia. However in his defense, could one ask for a more fun loving ambassador of Mormonism?

I used to feel the same way, until we spoke via discussion board and was a total dick.

It was unfortunate he was unkind to you. Some of his reposts from the past do seem cranky. It reminds me of the saying that the child who lives with criticism learns to criticize. Dr. Peterson has been criticized quite harshly and it stands to reason that it takes its toll. Still, I have observed that it has not left an indelible skid mark and he still continues with good natured bantering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:07 pm 
Mister Scratch wrote:
GoodK wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
GoodK wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
GoodK---

I doubt it. Why, how many copies did Echoes and Evidence sell?

That I can probably find out. I thought that was his most substantial piece of work... but I could be wrong

Post subject: Re: How Much Are LDS Apologists Paid?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:12 pm 
God

Mister Scratch wrote:
[Note: this is a branch-off from GoodK's "Outing Anonymous Posters" thread]

In an absolute bombshell of a post, GoodK, the child of a "top-flight" LDS apologist, has revealed that, in fact, LDS apologists are paid to engage in apologetics. This is absolutely, utterly stunning. All of us have long been told that these "stalwart faithful" aren't compensated at all!! In fact, here is an email from DCP, denying this very strenuously:

Daniel Peterson wrote:
Young University, as are all other professors and staff at the University (including those who are not Latter-day Saints). Thus, at best, I'm indirectly paid by the Mormon Church. This is less dramatic than your formulation, but it’s more accurate.

Second, no part of my salary -- absolutely none, not a dime -- comes from my apologetic undertakings.
(Emphasis added. This was taken from the SHIELDS website, where it was posted in order to try and discredit Infymus.)

But GoodK---who, I'd like to reiterate, is an "insider", I.e., a child of some well-known Mopologist---has totally blown apart this apparent bit of spin:

GoodK wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
Just out of curiosity: Why would this harm a Mopologist's "credibility"/"opportunity"?
For one thing, DCP has said repeatedly that Mopologists do not gain financially in any way for their apologetics activities.

Did he really? What does Dan do besides Mopology?

Of course they gain financially from apologetic activities, even small time contributors to the FARMS review. He should at least be able to admit that.

And this:

GoodK wrote:
Well, I know that people like my Dad are more content with seeing their name in print, and recieving free books or other publications in return (which he usually does, either because he doesn't need the money or would rather have books anyway), but I am postive they all aren't working for free or for "store credit".

I imagine it depends on who it is, celebrities like DCP probably wield bigger paychecks than the Michael Jibson's (the author of the worst FARMS review ever) but I can try and dig up some more information regarding specific salaries.

(this may be hard, now that my cover has been blown)

But yes, the Earth shattering truth is correct, they don't do it for the Love of the Game, well, at least they all don't do it just for the Love of the Game.

I can't believe DCP would even say that, if I wasn't banned from MADB I would ask him to elaborate on how exactly he is compensated for his time ;)

Wow. I am just flabbergasted at all of this. I will anxiously await to hear just how rich DCP has gotten off of his apologetic work.

I should just point out, that this is not a bombshell, and not anything to get all excited and in a wad about. Its the evidentially baseless, raw assertions of a bitter, misanthropic apostate from the Church making claims she has no documentation or evidence from which to draw support.

Given Goodk's posting so far--vicious, mean spirited attacks on God and persons engaged in healing and blessing in his name--forgive me if I ignore this entire thread as the transparent fabrication of a couple of tendentious bigots.

No, I'm not angry, just being honest.

- Thomas S. Monson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:31 pm 
God

I am wandering if Daniel C. P. has already seen this Discussion thread here yet. He has already Posted at least four Messages on the MA&D Message Board, since this Discussion Thread has been created here.

- Jacob 6:12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:46 pm 
God

GoodK wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
GoodK wrote:
Who do you think pays travel expenses when someone like DCP flies to Southern California to do a fireside?

I gather that you're saying that he essentially gets to play the role of the globe-trotting ambassador for Mormon Apologetics, and that he gets to charge it all to the Church's petty cash fund....

Seriously, though: Do you have a sense of how much these folks get paid? Further, can you speak to any specifics vis-à-vis "financial gain"? I.e., how much does a FARMS Review contributor typically get paid? How much does DCP make from apologetics on top of his BYU salary? (In your estimation?)

Well, I am saying that, as well as speculating how much of the trip is dedicated to church things vs. apologetic things. It seems silly to fly a DCP type figure out to california from utah for a fireside on the atonement...

I have no clue regarding his exact salary and where the line is drawn between FARMS and BYU pay. I also am waiting to hear back from a friend at BYU regarding his specific role there, as he seems to have a lot of free time to post at MADB.

I highly doubt he gets paid to post online, but if he considers writing for FARMS a apologetic venture, he gets paid for his apologetics.

In other words the claim that Peterson and other LDS apologists are PAID to be apologist's seems to be a hollow claim with no evidence to back it up. Scratch must really be disappointed. Such excitement over NADA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:51 pm 
God

A dollar magically appears under my pillow for every LDS apologetic post I make. There's one now.......

Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next