Sic et Non admits "There is no God"?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Sic et Non admits "There is no God"?

Post by _Gadianton »

In a thread appearing on the Sic et Non blog and discussion board called Science has taken on the role of mankinds deliverer the apologists appear to admit that science is, in fact, delivering mankind instead of God. The apologists are open to the prospect of science as deliverer as they face a new foe: Covid-19 deniers. There are six or seven of these folks now, good Latter-Day Saints I believe, participating on the blog and delivering up-votes and down-votes. And what's more, division is surfacing among the mid-tier apologists. Consider Ike, a stubborn supporter of DCP when it comes to critics, has now admitted on this thread that there is some merit to the coronavirus conspiracies. And worse, with Bednar and the Church flailing, there is little revelation to enforce the caution recommended by the blog proprietor and Sam Lafevere.

When confronted by one of these new participants who claimed many blue states locked down while there were no appreciable infections, Kiwi57 responds:
Kiwi57 wrote:I work in the IT industry. In the late 1990's, there was a lot of talk about something called "the Y2K bug." We knew it as the 6-digit date problem. In many systems, dates were stored as strings of digits, with 2 digits each for year, month and day. The problem had the potential of throwing all sorts of date-related calculations, including business and financial systems, into chaos, simply because every date starting with 00 was less than every date starting with 99.

In the event, hardly anything happened, and many people who knew nothing at all about the IT industry assumed that it was all a bunch of nonsense.

The real reason why nothing much happened was because tens of thousands of IT professionals put in literally millions of man-hours fixing the problem.

No-one would have been willing to spend money on the problem if it hadn't been serious. But because it was fixed, with hindsight, the uninformed assumed that it had never been serious.

They were wrong.

And so are you.
Dumbfounding! In a blog post titled "Science has taken on the role of mankind's deliverer" Kiwi57 provides a stunning example of science delivering mankind! Further, the apologists argue that it will be science that likewise saves us from Covid-19, providing yet a second example of how science is now our savior.
Kiwi57 wrote:In my experience, there are two groups of people commenting on Covid-19: (1) those who understand the science, and (2) those who think it's some kind of "deep state" conspiracy.
Indeed, "those who understand the science". The science that will, as the blog post says, deliver mankind.

One could say the same thing about Book of Mormon geography. There are those who understand the science, and those who think contemporary archaeology is a conspiracy, where politics define the terms of science, which either rejects or turns a deaf ear to the Limited Geography theory and the work of Brian Stubbs.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Sic et Non admits "There is no God"?

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Russell McGregor, known as that awful poster who goes by the cowardly pseudonymous moniker "Kiwi57", and who lives in that out-of-the-way country called New Zealand a.k.a., 'Nieuw Zeeland', the name first given to the island by a Dutch mapmaker, would more than likely insist, erroneously by the way, that it's technology and not science, thus preserving his argument. Hopefully by typing out his name I won't summon Russell MockGregor to our board. Lord knows that'd be a small miracle.

- Doc
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:57 pm
Russell McGregor, known as that awful poster who goes by the cowardly pseudonymous moniker "Kiwi57", and who lives in that out-of-the-way country called New Zealand a.k.a., 'Nieuw Zeeland', the name first given to the island by a Dutch mapmaker, would more than likely insist, erroneously by the way, that it's technology and not science, thus preserving his argument. Hopefully by typing out his name I won't summon Russell MockGregor to our board. Lord knows that'd be a small miracle.

- Doc
Ha I almost thought someone was quoting the "esteemed emeritus professor" Midglely trying to summon the Vegan Burrito, from wherever he thinks burritos originate from.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

That summoning works for Shades over at the SeN.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

Science may be doing better than alternatives at solving medical problems—I hope it is—but I'm uneasy about any tendency to push science onto the empty pedestal of an earthly savior. There is no guarantee that medical science will always find cures and vaccines, or that physics and chemistry will discover ways for us to have a clean energy cake and eat it, too. To say that science will really do what gods only ever promised to do is a promise that science can never fulfill.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Lol kiwi57, stuffing his foot in his mouth since 1957 ( assuming that's his birth year).

Still feeling happy I haven't headed back to sic et non for a while, but I admit I enjoy seeing these little updates.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:29 pm
Science may be doing better than alternatives at solving medical problems—I hope it is—but I'm uneasy about any tendency to push science onto the empty pedestal of an earthly savior. There is no guarantee that medical science will always find cures and vaccines, or that physics and chemistry will discover ways for us to have a clean energy cake and eat it, too. To say that science will really do what gods only ever promised to do is a promise that science can never fulfill.
I think that is DCP doing his strawman thing.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen