BYU-Idaho Facebook page compared the trials of Latter-day Saints to slavery

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

BYU-Idaho Facebook page compared the trials of Latter-day Saints to slavery

Post by _I have a question »

Black students say they are angry and frustrated after a Facebook page from Brigham Young University’s campus in Idaho compared the historic persecution of Latter-day Saints to centuries of slavery in America — suggesting Black people, too, can “RISE ABOVE.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-byu ... r-BB15SkPz
The lengthy post appeared earlier this month on the official account for Performing and Visual Arts for the school, which is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. After several people pointed it out, both the post and the page were deleted. Screenshots of it, though, have been shared widely across social media.

Students of color there had hoped it might start a conversation at BYU-Idaho about their ongoing concerns with racism. But administrators, they say, have refused to sit down with them, acknowledge the post existed or apologize.

“How dare they?” said Richard Luyhengo, a Black international student at the school. “That post was written out of ignorance. And all we want is just to be listened to.”

The school’s spokesman, Brett Crandall, did not respond to several requests for comment from The Salt Lake Tribune.
But at the institution in Idaho, there hasn’t been any promise of change, students say.

They said they’ve tried to talk to the administration only to have their scheduled meetings canceled every time at the last minute. Now, the school said Tuesday, they’ll be allowed to meet with the dean one on one. They can’t go in as a group.

Luyhengo said they just want to talk and have the school acknowledge the problems. He added: “We have a long way to go.”
I’m guessing white students wouldn’t have found it as difficult to arrange a group meeting with the dean...
They weren’t so shy back in 2017
President Henry J. Eyring and Sister Kelly Eyring's first student Q&A forum on July 6 brought the students and newly called president and his wife together in an informal setting to address common student concerns.

Following the meeting, students interviewed, said the Eyrings created an atmosphere where they felt comfortable because of the couple's ability to connect so well with the students.

"It is interesting to see President and Sister Eyring-when they think about their responses and how they're going to answer those questions-how well they can relate to the students because they've gone through the same stuff," said Benjamin Craig, student curator of the event. "I think that's what has made them very approachable, very warm and friendly. They have really meaningful and helpful insight because they've been in our shoes before, which I think is something you wouldn't expect typically from a university president."
https://travel.byui.edu/newsroom/news-a ... ng-q-and-a
BYU-Idaho is led by Henry J. Eyring, who began serving as president in April 2017. Eyring is a former Academic Vice President and Advancement Vice President of BYU-Idaho.[17] Eyring is also the son of Henry B. Eyring, former Ricks College president and a member of the LDS Church's First Presidency.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigham_Y ... sity–Idaho

This episode reflects badly on Henry jnr
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: BYU-Idaho Facebook page compared the trials of Latter-day Saints to slavery

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Too many exaggerated stories about how the church was persecuted over the years leads to this false equivalent. The church really needs to look at its history from other perspectives and give the members a more balanced view. Perhaps arriving in Missouri and claiming God gave the land to the Mormons didn't help with relations there? Maybe the people of Illinois didn't like how Joseph Smith wielded political power and that caused friction, not to mention polygamy? Also, maybe mountain meadows was in the back of the minds of the US Govt when polygamy was outlawed? In each of these cases, the actions of Mormons were part of the equation. If the members knew this, then perhaps they could easily see that the suffering in Missouri or Illinois, or Utah is not even close to what African Americans suffered through slavery or jim crow or what Native Americans suffered throughout the years.

Maybe the church should stop selling the fairytale historical narrative?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I read in the Salt Lake Tribune today how the small predominantly LDS college Dixie State in St. George, Utah had blackface minstrel shows performed on campus, mock slave auctions, Confederate flags were flown alongside American ones, the school mascot was the confederate “Rebel”, and the Confederate flag was the symbol emblazoned on many athletic team uniforms. They even had a statue of Confederate soldiers which thankfully was removed.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commenta ... racism-is/
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Hagoth
_Emeritus

Post by _Hagoth »

I have a question wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:43 pm
Students of color there had hoped it might start a conversation at BYU-Idaho about their ongoing concerns with racism. But administrators, they say, have refused to sit down with them, acknowledge the post existed or apologize.
General Authorities in training.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” - Mark Twain
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Mormons are such snowflakes
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

It does not matter. Pick any disaster or social issue that comes up and L-d$,inc will try to OneUP whatever it is and become part of the oppressed group somehow. By inclusion or exclusion - it doesn't matte. Leadership will do anything possible to try an appear relevant.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert