Ties and white shirts are no longer required at Church.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Re: Ties and white shirts are no longer required at Church.

Post by _sunstoned »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:What happens, existentially, when one passes the sacrament with their left hand?

- Doc

DHO gets peeved.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

ldsfaqs wrote:Honestly, I don't get this...

It always was the policy you could go to church AND even do the sacrament without a Tie and White shirt.
It, however, was the recommended policy as long as there with those with a white shirt and tie. But it certainly wasn't "banned", cause there could be times when there is nobody with a white shirt or tie and thus it was allowed.

Also, the Sacrament and the Right-hand thing was always like that. The preferred method when possible.

When Jeffery Holland announced the part about the white shirt and tie, he made sure to announce that it was simply a recommendation, but you know Mormons, they like to overdo everything. So that any utterance that comes out of an Apostle's mouth, such as noticing he was right-handed, suddenly is transformed into a command that must be followed: If the apostle is right-handed then you must take the sacrament emblems with your right hand.

If peculiarity was not seen as a virtue, perhaps this LDS superstition building would not occur so frequently.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Back in the day, when I was attending church as a faithful family man, I sported a black shirt and no tie on more than one occasion! If looks could kill!

Why did I do that? Because I enjoyed the personal freedom of being fashionable in my own way and was quite willing to challenge or buck the system. At one point, I even sported a beard and an elderly sister asked me, "Why do you have a beard"? No kidding! I don't recall my response. But she looked at me as if I was less righteous. Maybe I was.

Well, as it turned out, I was a an apostasy just waiting to happen, just like ldsfaqs is today. Being out of the church sure is liberating and needful in order to truly be happy.

:wink:
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Yahoo Bot wrote:This reminds me of an excerpt from Joseph Fielding Smith's biography, where he complained about seeing the young men in white shirts and ties, looking like they were uniformed.

You don't say...

_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

It's good to finally see this in the handbook. 37 years ago, some Regional Representative wrote an article in the Ensign suggesting this should be a thing, and I'm sure he's happy to see it in the Handbook now, wherever he is...

Is it necessary to take the sacrament with one’s right hand? Does it really make any difference which hand is used?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

cinepro wrote:It's good to finally see this in the handbook. 37 years ago, some Regional Representative wrote an article in the Ensign suggesting this should be a thing, and I'm sure he's happy to see it in the Handbook now, wherever he is...

Is it necessary to take the sacrament with one’s right hand? Does it really make any difference which hand is used?

It’s nonsensical obedience crap like this that shows you the Church, if it ever was the Church of Jesus, has fallen a long way from the path it was supposed to be on.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_SampsonAvard
_Emeritus

Post by _SampsonAvard »

cinepro wrote:It's good to finally see this in the handbook. 37 years ago, some Regional Representative wrote an article in the Ensign suggesting this should be a thing, and I'm sure he's happy to see it in the Handbook now, wherever he is...

It's important to always take the sacrament with your wanking hand.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

There is still uncertainty in the church about the appropriateness of using the left hand in the sacrament. Joseph Fielding Smith, Church Historian, and influential LDS writer aimed to clarify this matter. In 1946, Smith spoke against deacons with their “left hand plastered on their backs in a most awkward manner,” as well as the practice among members to cautiously take the sacrament only with
the right hand.

However, almost a decade later, Smith insisted the sacrament be taken and passed by the right hand only—the right hand being “a symbol of righteousness.” He said, “The right hand or side is called the dexter and the left the sinister. Dexter connotes something favorable; sinister, something unfavorable or unfortunate.

So the usage of the right hand in passing and taking the communion sacrament stems from making stuff up. Due to the efficacy of making stuff up, we could speculate that Church apologists are unwittingly creating their own religion line upon line.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Was JFS saying left handed people are sinister and unrighteous?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')