Don't Know what this is, (Don't Care) But KNOCK IT OFF!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
grindael
Dragon

Re: Don't Know what this is, (Don't Care) But KNOCK IT OFF!

Post by grindael »

I think it is possible that this person did not intend to threaten you, but I also think that you are justified in supposing it very well may be a threat.

I find that hard to believe. Really. They sent me the opening message, and I replied,

I'm not sending any emails to DCP and NEVER HAVE. So whatever it is you think you want to make public, go right ahead.

Then they sent the second message. Even after my denial, they write,

Anyway, it would be a credit to the board and a favor to LDS truth seekers everywhere if the emails stopped. Please?

So instead of trying to "work it out", they still told me to stop! I could not take this in any other way. Then, when I went public, came the "we can work it out" stuff.

They knew they were threatening me. That's absolutely obvious. Perhaps this is a lesson they need to learn when they falsely accuse someone.

I gave them an out. I'm not going to reveal who it was. I'm not vindictive like that. But I am very, very, pissed.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Silly, definitely. And given the messages sent to grindael, even sillier.

Note it is actually “alleged” messages, “allegedly” from one of us.

The a priori assumption being made is that the completely anonymous poster of completely unverified emails must be a member of this board. Maybe I am too new, but that seems to just be a bit too tailor-made for DCP’s victim story.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What’s weird is they’re accusing Grindael of all people. The last person on erf to send anyone anonymous nastygrams is him. Like. How off in your thinking do you have to be to believe he’s the perp? Weird.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:First of all, the emails are not imaginary. Someone is sending these things to DCP's email address. Some of them veer very close to threats against DCP's family members. So, it is easy to admonish DCP to ignore them, but I don't know that it is reasonable to expect him to do so. This is not SPAM from a Nigerian prince.

Just take one step back and look at what you have said here, Kish. DCP is concerned that he's getting messages that "veer very close to threats" via email while at the same time he's got LM over there on his blog keeping files on folks and posting messages about them "veer very close to threats" to interfering in their IRL.

But you know, in DCP's mind, we should all drop what we're doing and attend to his IRL needs.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Kishkumen wrote:... The emails are real, and DCP has interacted with me and others on this board about them, soliciting our help in figuring this out. Whoever has done this has probably taken this task on because the person thinks the harassment is really wrong....

So DCP has reported this to the police then, right? What was their recommendation?

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Reverend:

Have you seen the actual emails or have you seen copies of the language that was contained in the emails?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Are we being played right now? Sic et Non does their annual Martin Luther King meltdown, gets called out, the plagiarism issue surfaces again and voila?

Grindael, when did this poster pm you? Last night? Today? Why did the poster reach out to you? Who sent him/her? Did DCP complain to the poster and then the poster reached out to you?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

grindael wrote:So instead of trying to "work it out", they still told me to stop! I could not take this in any other way. Then, when I went public, came the "we can work it out" stuff.

They knew they were threatening me. That's absolutely obvious. Perhaps this is a lesson they need to learn when they falsely accuse someone.

I gave them an out. I'm not going to reveal who it was. I'm not vindictive like that. But I am very, very, pissed.

I can see that! Yes, this person told you to stop. If we could see the evidence, maybe we would understand why it is this person felt so confident it was you. Telling you to stop may have been an attempt to keep things from going further. Better for the perpetrator simply to stop than to place the matter in the hands of law enforcement, IMO.

You are adamant it is not you, and I am inclined to believe you. Only very compelling evidence would make me think it must be you. Absent that, I have to imagine the question is pretty wide open. I am happy, at least, that someone other than the authorities contacted you. Maybe this means that the issue has not gone that far.
“God came to me in a dream last night and showed me the future. He took me to heaven and I saw Donald Trump seated at the right hand of our Lord.” ~ Pat Robertson
“He says he has eyes to see things that are not . . . and that the angel of the Lord . . . has put him in possession of great wealth, gold, silver, precious stones.” ~ Jesse Smith

grindael
Dragon

Post by grindael »

Grindael, when did this poster pm you? Last night? Today? Why did the poster reach out to you? Who sent him/her? Did DCP complain to the poster and then the poster reached out to you?

They mailed me after midnight last night. I can't answer any of the other questions. I won't reveal their identity on the chance that they are misguided, sorry.

I asked them to stop messaging me, and they have. So basically you've seen everything I have.

But I went public because of their comment that "some of US" have looked into it and came to a conclusion that it was me. I have no idea if others are going to come out of the woodwork.

I will protect myself.

grindael
Dragon

Post by grindael »

I am happy, at least, that someone other than the authorities contacted you. Maybe this means that the issue has not gone that far.

Why would the "authorities" contact me? How do you know they haven't contacted someone else?

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

grindael wrote:
I am happy, at least, that someone other than the authorities contacted you. Maybe this means that the issue has not gone that far.

Why would the "authorities" contact me? How do you know they haven't contacted someone else?

I was about to quote that remark also. The unwarranted assumptions behind it are staggering.

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

grindael wrote:

They mailed me after midnight last night. I can't answer any of the other questions. I won't reveal their identity on the chance that they are misguided, sorry.

I asked them to stop messaging me, and they have. So basically you've seen everything I have.

But I went public because of their comment that "some of US" have looked into it and came to a conclusion that it was me. I have no idea if others are going to come out of the woodwork.

I will protect myself.

No one should blame you for doing what you did.

Stem
God

Post by Stem »

Kishkumen wrote:First of all, the emails are not imaginary. Someone is sending these things to DCP's email address. Some of them veer very close to threats against DCP's family members. So, it is easy to admonish DCP to ignore them, but I don't know that it is reasonable to expect him to do so. This is not SPAM from a Nigerian prince.

If someone's been threatening DCP's family members for 7 years then that certain sucks. If someone's been sending crappy mean-spirited stuff for 7 years? That sucks too, but he should just ignore it.

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

grindael wrote:Why would the "authorities" contact me? How do you know they haven't contacted someone else?

In my contact with DCP on the issue of this harassment, he has spoken about contacting the authorities about these emails. Long ago, before there was any specific accusation, he claimed he had contacted the authorities. Ergo, I assume that the involvement of the authorities in this situation is a very real possibility, one that I would prefer to be avoided.
“God came to me in a dream last night and showed me the future. He took me to heaven and I saw Donald Trump seated at the right hand of our Lord.” ~ Pat Robertson
“He says he has eyes to see things that are not . . . and that the angel of the Lord . . . has put him in possession of great wealth, gold, silver, precious stones.” ~ Jesse Smith

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Lemmie wrote:The unwarranted assumptions behind it are staggering.

Which unwarranted assumptions were those, Lemmie? Who made them? What are you talking about?

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Exiled wrote:Reverend:

Have you seen the actual emails or have you seen copies of the language that was contained in the emails?

I have seen quotes from the emails embedded emails from DCP. One of them showed that the email originated from "nobody@remailer.paranoici.org."

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Lemmie wrote:The unwarranted assumptions behind it are staggering.

Which unwarranted assumptions were those, Lemmie? Who made them? What are you talking about?

I noted them earlier in the thread:

Note it is actually “alleged” messages, “allegedly” from one of us.

The a priori assumption being made is that the completely anonymous poster of completely unverified emails must be a member of this board. Maybe I am too new, but that seems to just be a bit too tailor-made for DCP’s victim story.

And

Lemmie wrote:From a message grindeal received:
The emails... 7+ years out of sight, insightful and cutting enough to really hurt the man, anonymous enough to afford him no clues. Quite an impressive feat. But it discredits this board and gives DCP fuel for his martyr complex.

How does it discredit this board if the messages were “anonymous enough to afford him no clues”?

And

Lemmie wrote:Another side of the coin is that we have only heard about these letters from DCP himself. The nature of what he reports, the frequency of his reports, and his use of them to accuse various usernames from this board (even though he insists the messages are sent anonymously and therefore untraceable), combined with his propensity to not be honest in his dealings with others in a variety of settings make me suspicious.

ETA: I see exiled just posted a similar concern.

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Ah, OK. Thanks, Lemmie. My head is spinning. I am stepping into a lot of cow patties here. Yes, it is virtually impossible to track the source of these messages, and just about anyone with access to the internet could send them. I have received some myself. The assumption that it is someone here is based on the following:

1. The longtime antagonism between DCP and members of this board.

2. The language of the emails, which contains special language usually employed here on MormonDiscussions.com (and almost nowhere else).

3. The reference to the IRL name of a regular poster on this board.

There are undoubtedly other good reasons that I am blanking on at the moment.

But, yes, it really could be virtually anyone who is doing this.

fetchface
God

Post by fetchface »

Kishkumen wrote:2. The language of the emails, which contains special language usually employed here on MormonDiscussions.com (and almost nowhere else).

What was the special language, if you don't mind my asking?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

fetchface wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:2. The language of the emails, which contains special language usually employed here on MormonDiscussions.com (and almost nowhere else).

What was the special language, if you don't mind my asking?

Probably this:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... comed.html

betcha little granddaughter gonna be proud a the suicide by gluttony her fatula done. poor poor pampered persecuted pudgy pasterson panniculus pus-gut hangin. you’re a lyin deceiver fat msn verdad nigglin. a cult addicted yes man excuse maker. what a life livin the cult lie…kolob waitin ya nutzo

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

The question I would pose is, what is going on over on his blog that he wishes to thwart and why grindael?

DCP receiving threatening emails is nothing new.
DCP planning to report to LE is nothing new.
That someone is being dragged into yet another DCP drama is nothing new.
None of this is anything new.

So why now? Why grindael? What's the motivation?

To gain a sympathetic reaction from this board? Again?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb