It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another Racially Insensitive Martin Luther King Day Weekend at "SeN"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:29 pm 
God

Also, if anyone wants to read the Midge's doctoral dissertation you can find it here:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/444800?rea ... b_contents

It's a bit of a slog because it's amateurish, and Tillich borrows heavily from Sartre (if you don't like Sartre you won't like to read the Midge's liberal quoting of Tillich as a space filler). Imma go outside and smoke a cigar and think about whether or not I want to check the Midge's dissertation for plagiarism. I don't have a good feeling about what I'll find if I do, so I'm a bit conflicted.

- Doc

Post subject: Re: Another Racially Insensitive Martin Luther King Day Weekend at "SeN"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:44 pm 
Seedy Academician

Man, they couldn’t even make it one day.

Yikes!

Post subject: Re: Another Racially Insensitive Martin Luther King Day Week
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:21 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Louis Midgley wrote:
Some may know, and all should know, that I wrote my Ph.D. dissertation on Paul Tillich's political theology.

???

Will someone please explain to me why "all should know" what Midgley wrote his Ph.D. dissertation about?

'Cause I'm certainly not getting it.

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:28 pm 
God

Wow. Mr. Peterson not only doubles down, but ramps up the rhetoric:

Quote:
Daniel plagiarizin’ Peterson > rockyrd
2 hours ago

Sigh. Apparently, my mention of the (undisputed) fact that Dr. King was seriously flawed has aroused inflamed indignation in the usual place.

So I take it back.

He was flawless.

Or rather he ramps up the snarky asshole, for sure. What is the deal with these guys?

- Doc

Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:33 pm 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Louis Midgley wrote:
Some may know, and all should know, that I wrote my Ph.D. dissertation on Paul Tillich's political theology.

???

Will someone please explain to me why "all should know" what Midgley wrote his Ph.D. dissertation about?

'Cause I'm certainly not getting it.

It’s the genesis of his ‘scientism’ theory that people have replaced god worship with a worship of science. You should read his dissertation linked above for a better understanding how a stolen valor liar and mediocre intellect can wring a decades-long career out of a fundamentalist institution.

- Doc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:23 pm 
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Man, even after a nice Martin Luther King holiday post, the comments section at SeN doesn’t take long to become a nasty battleground of multi tiered innuendo and sarcastic contempt grenades. If it were me, I would switch over to a participant white list and move on with life. Approve new posters one at a time and ask all newbs to discuss respectfully. Civil dialogue isn’t that difficult. It’s like zombie land over there. By the way, I’m watching zombie land on a plane right now!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:01 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Huh. It would seem that, in a rather round-about way, I have been proven right yet again. How about that?

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:06 pm 

Dr Moore wrote:
Man, even after a nice Martin Luther King holiday post, the comments section at SeN doesn’t take long to become a nasty battleground of multi tiered innuendo and sarcastic contempt grenades. If it were me, I would switch over to a participant white list and move on with life. Approve new posters one at a time and ask all newbs to discuss respectfully. Civil dialogue isn’t that difficult. It’s like zombie land over there. By the way, I’m watching zombie land on a plane right now!

Dr. Moore: You are right. Why doesn't Dr. Peterson shut down the comments, or operate it in such a way where he specifically chooses who gets to participate? (Maybe there is no way to do this on Patheos?) Well, one superficial reasons is that he is supposedly a "Libertarian," and opposed to censorship, and so he's not going to do that just on principle. The other reason is surely vanity: he wants the attention, even if it's negative. Being ignored would be the worst thing imaginable. But the real reason is that this is what he Midgley, and the other Mopologists live for: conflict. They *want* to pick fights, and this goes clear back to DCP's days as a missionary, where he boasted of making "mincemeat" out of some poor minister looking to "bash." (IIRC, Peterson actually said that he "humiliated" the guy. Well, at least he--DCP--"felt bad" afterwards! LOL!) It has been the common element of everything they've done: FARMS; SHIELDS; FAIR (FAIR Mormon is actually way nicer now that he and Midgley have distanced themselves); Interpreter, and "Sic et Non."

My point being: if Dr. Peterson genuinely wanted "civil dialogue," it would, as you say, be very, very simple to achieve it.

ETA: He could carry on the war with the critics directly via his blog entries, but he is playing some very strange game of "Compartmentalization," where he gets to maintain this air of moral superiority if his blog entries are nice (because that's just him, you understand: he's not responsible for what others do, and since he's merely "reacting" to what is said in the "Comments," he can't be held accountable for that, either), but MormonDiscussions.com is a contemptible "sewer," and any attempt to compare the "tone" of one with the other is a non-starter. But he really could have it both ways: shut down the comments but still get his "fix" via picking fights back and forth in the blog entries themselves.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:26 pm 
Hermit

It's not that Martin Luther King was flawless, it's that an observer can tell the difference pretty easily between declaring flaws in order to bring a person down a notch, as in this case, and declaring flaws in order to deflect criticisms that demand a higher standard, such as in the case of Joseph Smith.

To put it a little differently: They declare MLKs flaws because they really believe he was flawed, but declare Joseph Smith's flaws because they really believe he was next to perfect.

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:40 pm 
God

Wow. Mr. Peterson and the Midge are really having a meltdown right now. In response to this benign comment about the progress made since Martin Luther King was assassinated:

Quote:
Michael Hoggan B. Wilson • 2 hours ago

Yes, there has been an ebb and flow, and that is to be expected. Tough economic times, violence, and military conflict bring out the worst in some people.

the Midge fires off this missive:

Quote:
Louis Midgley > Michael Hoggan • an hour ago

I would add that bigotry, and what could be called religious bigotry, as manifest regularly on Dr. Shakes miserable board, and now constantly trying to disrupt Dan's blog is the worst in some people. Why is it that many of them post on what one of them, who is or claims to be, a "highly educated native American" who is a practicing MD, who turned out to be an ethnic/racial bigot who posts on Dr. Shades very lovely board.

On the very day where Martin Luther King is remembered for his higher hopes for mankind, the Midge with Mr. Peterson's protection uses it to attack his perceived enemies with a staker'ish racial remark. Unbelievable. And yet... not unexpected.

Mormon priesthood holder. BYU professor.

- Doc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:41 pm 

By the way, I believe that Dr. Cam is currently scoring highest on the pop quiz.

See here for 2013 and see here for the sequel in 2014. (Perhaps there should be a "Top Ten Mopologetic Screwups on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day" list?)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 pm 

Midgley wrote:
Now for the second part of my response to Doctor Dunkenstein. "Plagiarism and 'lifting language from others without proper attribution' is b>immoral, unethical and a sure sign of an incompetent and lazy mind. It also can be illegal.

Please also notice that FAKE Doctor D. was then upvoted by the FAKES who up-voted his moral outrage by three FAKES: EV, Professor Paranormal, and Professor Tapir Bukk.

Let the one who is innocent cast the first stone! Is not all this at least a bit ironic?

Have the FAKE doctors and professors Club not managed to notice that real Professor Peterson has used them to teach a host of valuable lessons? There simply Is no shame among shame with Dr. Shades and his inmates on his board.

Utterly priceless to see Midgley typing out "Professor Tapir Bukk."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:58 pm 
God

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Utterly priceless to see Midgley typing out "Professor Tapir Bukk."

Dr. Scratch,

You were absolutely correct with your prediction. What is it about Martin Luther King that brings out the worst in the Mopologists?

It’s just like clockwork. Every single Martin Luther King Day, you can count on there being an epic meltdown. I can’t wait until next year.

On a related note, I’ve officially seen it all and now I can die a happy man. I never thought I would live to see the day where Professor Lou Midgley publicly complained about “Tapir Bukk.”

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:59 pm 
God

It should be noted Mr. Peterson's historical use of the "rhetoric" has been associated with a negative connotation on a given poster's comments. As such it raised my eyebrows when he said this about Martin Luther King's speech the day before he was assassinated:

Quote:
The “I Have a Dream Speech” is, to say the very least of it, a marvelous piece of rhetoric.

One could say I'm straining at a gnat, so to speak, but given Mr. Peterson's relentless assault on Martin Luther King's character, his stodgy take on African American culture, and hostile comments in his comments section I think it's safe to say he wasn't praising Martin Luther King with that little remark.

If you really believed that Martin Luther King was a great guy, or whatever, how hard is it to make your blog entry and then just stick to the positives, especially since you've made it abundantly clear with prior posts that you think Martin Luther King was essentially immoral in his personal life and politically misguided?

- Doc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:19 am 
Sunbeam

What on earth is the SCMC going to think when they see the Martin Luther King post at SeN?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:10 am 
God

Doctor Scratch wrote:
See here for 2013 and see here for the sequel in 2014. (Perhaps there should be a "Top Ten Mopologetic Screwups on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day" list?)

Those links no longer bring up the racist remarks of the past. Over time, even these vestiges will be scabbed over - hopefully.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:27 am 
Seedy Academician

Midgley wrote:
Now for the second part of my response to Doctor Dunkenstein. "Plagiarism and 'lifting language from others without proper attribution' is b>immoral, unethical and a sure sign of an incompetent and lazy mind. It also can be illegal.

Please also notice that FAKE Doctor D. was then upvoted by the FAKES who up-voted his moral outrage by three FAKES: EV, Professor Paranormal, and Professor Tapir Bukk.

Let the one who is innocent cast the first stone! Is not all this at least a bit ironic?

Have the FAKE doctors and professors Club not managed to notice that real Professor Peterson has used them to teach a host of valuable lessons? There simply Is no shame among shame with Dr. Shades and his inmates on his board.

Is Midgley really claiming that DCP used Martin Luther King Day to teach people on MormonDiscussions.com about the perils of throwing around accusations of plagiarism?

Ouch! With friends like Midgley . . . .

No, Dr. Midgley, I don’t believe he did.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:26 pm 
God

Here’s a good post that reflected my own upbringing where my father was one part John Birch society, one part Ezra Benson, and one part libertarian:

Quote:
LaneWolfley

Here's a goofy tidbit in my personal history: I was born of goodly parents, of this there can be no doubt. Nevertheless, I was raised to believe that Martin Luther King was a communist toady and that the Blacks were being used by the communists to destroy America from within. I was about 14 or so when he was assassinated; the reaction of the country to his death forced me to reconsider my inherited views, and study out the subject on my own. Well, I had to part ways with my dad on the subject, and was the first occasion in my life where I realized that I had been misled, and had to take personal responsibility for my own beliefs. It was quite uncomfortable, and I just never talked to him about my liberalizing.

I see hints of that in Mr. Peterson and the Midge. These things get deep, and I’m not sure they ever really go away. I always side eye Whitey when they get super mouthy about about how they don’t have a racist, prejudiced, or bigoted bone in their body. I think all groups have varying degrees of ethnic, racial, social, religious, or economic biases and it’s always a tough row to hoe in order to be honest and mindful about it. But, honesty isn’t really in their wheelhouse. So we’ll keep getting these little jabs at minorities or the Other as they’re keen to do, while proclaiming loudly how much they love them. Weird.

- Doc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:40 pm 
Sunbeam

Louis Midgley wrote:
Even Jason should be able to figure this out, should he not? Both Martin Luther King and I wrote our Ph.D. dissertations on a similar part of Paul Tillich's political and publishing career. He wrote a book that was critical of Hitler's National Socialism, while he advanced his own so-called Religious Socialism, which was all talk, since he became very wealthy, and also, by any Christian standard, also very immoral.

I seriously doubt his ability to even recognize Christian standards.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:48 pm 

moksha wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:

Those links no longer bring up the racist remarks of the past. Over time, even these vestiges will be scabbed over - hopefully.

Yeah, I wonder if that's by design? Do you think that Dr. Peterson has deliberately tried to "bury" those old posts?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:21 pm 
God

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Yeah, I wonder if that's by design? Do you think that Dr. Peterson has deliberately tried to "bury" those old posts?

I am trying to understand why Dr. King is an annual target. Of course, it's not like I ever get stuck on ideas. :redface:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next