Mormopoly?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Maksutov
God

Mormopoly?

Post by Maksutov »

Why hasn't anyone created a satirical board game named Mormopoly?

There would have to be two versions, of course: a church version and a real one. The church version would be called TheChurchofJesusChristofLatterDaySaintsopoly, which really isn't that hard to say if you practice a lot. :lol:

The "real" version would reflect more the experiences of the 'goats' such as inhabit this board.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

Physics Guy
God

Re: Mormopoly?

Post by Physics Guy »

I'm not sure Monopoly will really fit, though. Maybe a fantasy role-playing game? Monsters and Mormons?

FRPG characters usually need to have a particular race. You could be white and delightsome, or Lamanite, or marked with a curse.

They usually have to have a sex, but in this case we could skip that. Females would be non-player characters. PCs would have to be male.

They usually have to choose a class, like thief or wizard or something. Sometimes certain classes are only open to certain races. So you could be a priest. I think that's about it. If you're not you're a non-player character.

You start out at first level. That's easy. You've just been baptized. Then you advance through the ranks, getting more and more powerful. From here on, I think, everything's standard.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

Do not pass The Veil, go directly to Outer Darkness
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

Fence Sitter
God

Post by Fence Sitter »

How about "Mormon History Trivial Pursuit"?

It would come with two sets of cards. One set with faith promoting answers and the other set with factual answers.

:lol:
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make priests its say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

The Mormonopoly bank -Ensign Mutual Trust - will be done by the player most closely related to a living or dead Apostle. Proof must be submitted in the form of ancestry.com fan chart, or by actual hard-copy pedigree charts from a Book of Remembrance.

Whoever gets to do the bank gets 10% of everyone else’s income, but the banker’s income, even when they are playing as a for-profit player, including that from commercial properties, is exempt from all income and any other taxes. Players cannot pass GO if their tithing isn’t paid and must wait in Spirit Prison (jail) until such a time as their tithe is up to date.

If the banker finds themselves in need of funds to buy commercial property or to pay rent on a for-profit enterprise, they may lend themselves any amount of money necessary, at 0%. They are under no obligation to prove to anyone that they have paid back any such loans.

The banker is under no obligation to give anyone else a turn at being banker.
Last edited by Lemmie on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have a question
God

Oh dear, you’ve just landed on Downtown with a Temple, you owe me 10% of all your income for the rest of the game.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

Bret Ripley
God

Post by Bret Ripley »

Chance card -- Research the Book of Abraham and write a book: collect $50. You've lost the game but nobody has to acknowledge it.

I have a question
God

If you own all four versions of the First Vision players landing on those squares have to pay 10x the rent.

Flaming Meaux
Priest

Post by Flaming Meaux »

Maksutov wrote:Why hasn't anyone created a satirical board game named Mormopoly?

There would have to be two versions, of course: a church version and a real one. The church version would be called TheChurchofJesusChristofLatterDaySaintsopoly, which really isn't that hard to say if you practice a lot. :lol:

The "real" version would reflect more the experiences of the 'goats' such as inhabit this board.

Funny enough, I actually did have a copy of "Mormonopoly" growing up, though it was made from felt IIRC so probably a homemaking night activity rather than a commercial production. Boardwalk was the Salt Lake Temple, and the Income Tax was Tithing, don't remember much more about it anymore. Somehow we got comfortable playing actual Monopoly in our house.

[Edit: So I just strolled over to BoardGameGeek to see if I could find anything on this old game--they have a 'newer' version of Mormon-opoly that was produced in 2006ish. Somehow it seems of even poorer quality than the one I remember from the 80s.]
Last edited by Flaming Meaux on Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flaming Meaux
Priest

Post by Flaming Meaux »

Fence Sitter wrote:How about "Mormon History Trivial Pursuit"?

It would come with two sets of cards. One set with faith promoting answers and the other set with factual answers.

:lol:

I actually had this one growing up, too, called "Celestial Pursuit." Mormon history was only one of the categories, however. I wasn't well enough versed the last time I played it (circa 1980-something) to know how the answers stacked up against the historical record.

[Edit: For consistency, I double-checked this one against the BGG database and it has its own entry. Average rating of 4.5/10, so even Mormons don't like it that much.]

Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Pass Go, Collect Two Wives
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski