It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mr Christofferson blames FOMO for young adult indecision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:46 am 
God

Quote:
Don’t let “FOMO” — the fear of missing out — delay the choice to commit to the Savior and His gospel path, Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles told young adults during a worldwide devotional on Sunday, Jan. 12.

“Don’t hesitate or hold back any longer but get on with your purpose and mission in life,” he said. “Mortality is so short. Make this time count so that your eternity will be one of joy, not regret.”

Speaking of choice and commitment, Elder Christofferson addressed three types of fears young adults might have in committing to the Savior and invited them to “be all in, giving and receiving freely.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... ice-171611

Quote:
With every decision, other options are put aside. For example, choosing to go to work or school means not choosing to stream Netflix at the same time. Choosing to travel to Africa means not traveling anywhere else at the same moment. And choosing to serve a mission means giving up social activities for a time.

“But unless you make a choice and commit to a certain direction, your life will be pretty erratic, and in the end, you will in fact miss out on most of the very best things,” he said. In a mortal life where it’s impossible to have everything and do everything, “we must commit to particular choices, knowing that by so doing, we necessarily forego others, good though they may be.”

“We should also bear in mind that unduly delaying a choice can itself constitute a choice,” Elder Christofferson continued.

For example, marriage. “Because of the finality of the choice, some resist a commitment to someone they are very fond of, someone they love and with whom they could progress happily and eternally, worried that there may be an even more perfect soulmate somewhere that they wouldn’t want to miss.”

Marriage is always the example Apostles use with young people at an age when they have their whole lives in front of them. Mr Christofferson wants them to choose Mormon Marriage before they truly understand what they want to do with their lives, before they’ve experienced the world in which they live. Why? Because once they’ve done that, the Church doesn’t look so good. Note that he’s advocating that they settle for the person they’re with, a person who is likely the only person they’ve ever “dated” at that point.

Quote:
Early in the Christoffersons’ marriage when finances were especially tight, they were asked to contribute to a building fund plan to renovate their aging chapel (Church members today are no longer asked to do this). They had two small children and Elder Christofferson was months away from finishing graduate school.

“We decided to pay the donation to the building fund, even though we didn’t know how we would make it to the end of the school year,” Sister Christofferson recalled.

Sister Kathy Christofferson addresses young adults during a worldwide devotional broadcast from the UCCU Center at Utah Valley University in Orem on Sunday, Jan. 12, 2020.

Sister Kathy Christofferson addresses young adults during a worldwide devotional broadcast from the UCCU Center at Utah Valley University in Orem on Sunday, Jan. 12, 2020. Credit: Ivy Ceballo, Deseret News
A few weeks later, they were in a minor car accident. The man who rear-ended them asked if they could settle it privately. So, Elder Christofferson got an estimate for the repair, the man wrote a check for the amount, and to Sister Christofferson’s surprise, the check didn’t bounce.

“That check was almost the same amount as the building fund assessment we had paid,” she said. “This was a witness to us that the Lord does, as Nephi said, ‘provide means whereby we can accomplish the thing which He has commanded’” (1 Nephi 17:3).

It’s funny how that always works out in a story. I’m guessing the Church didn’t have $100 billion sat gathering dust when the Christoffersons had their tithing miracle...I guess members who pay tithing always have misfortune follow, with the saving grace that God reimburses them the exact amount they paid Him in the first place...

TL;DR Pay, Pray, Stay & Obey

“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

Post subject: Re: Mr Christofferson blames FOMO for young adult indecision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:09 am 
God

Quote:
few weeks later, they were in a minor car accident. The man who rear-ended them asked if they could settle it privately. So, Elder Christofferson got an estimate for the repair, the man wrote a check for the amount, and to Sister Christofferson’s surprise, the check didn’t bounce.

“That check was almost the same amount as the building fund assessment we had paid,” she said. “This was a witness to us that the Lord does, as Nephi said, ‘provide means whereby we can accomplish the thing which He has commanded’” (1 Nephi 17:3).

there are so many things wrong with this story.

First, how is it a witness from God that after irresponsibly donating X amount, their car was damaged and required X amount to fix, and the person who did the damage was honest enough to pay X amount? Did they not fix the car? They were still out X amount, but it’s seen as a miracle from god? that's just stupid.

Also, why did she expect the check to bounce? Was she worried that the other person might also have donated to the wealthy Mormon church, making him also unable to pay his bills and therefore causing him to dishonestly write a bogus check?

And third, if the check bounced, then they go to their insurance. Or they don’t take a check that might bounce. Did she really think if the check bounced they would just let it go? How financially stupid were they?

And last but to me far worse, what financial responsibilities were THEY planning to be dishonest about and not pay, in exchange for giving the wealthy Mormon church their money? Or was driving around in a damaged and unsafe car enough to cover their responsibilities?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:40 pm 
God

I have a question wrote:
Marriage is always the example Apostles use with young people at an age when they have their whole lives in front of them. Mr Christofferson wants them to choose Mormon Marriage before they truly understand what they want to do with their lives, before they’ve experienced the world in which they live. Why? Because once they’ve done that, the Church doesn’t look so good.

The church doesn't want young people to do it before marriage, and being a virgin in your mid-20s is probably not good for your mental health.

"The Cost of Losing Your Virginity Late"

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/78bm ... inity-late

A 2008 found that "delaying initiation of sexual activity may also create health risks by impeding development of the emotional, cognitive, and interpersonal skills that are crucial to satisfactory sexual functioning and general well-being". However, more research is needed. There are many ways to interpret the study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2156059/

Young Mormon adults have no other choice. Too bad for them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05 pm 
God

Location: Cassius University Hall of Mirrors - Its Symbolic of Something Significant I Just Know it!
I see fear and guilt and pressure...... no love. There is obedience and a catch, guilt since this is a spiritual war carried over from the war in heaven, and if you don't do your part you WILL LOSE OUT. The fear of LOSING something precious. The guilt for waiting.........

No wonder apologists are cranky and mean spirited, they have never been taught how to love. Theirs is a victim mentality and they are manipulated by a guilt inducing system, in order to wring obedience out of its subject peoples. The poor Mormons and apologists who are virtually forced to only use evidence to arrive at pre-ordained conclusions from the Priesthood, the ONLY thing one must obey in order not to LOSE OUT on something precious. Fill them with guilt, let God do the rest.

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:11 pm 
God

As an evangelical late to understanding "grace" as the unmerited favor of God- neither worked for nor in any sense earned, the Toddster's story is somewhat off the mark IMHO;with choosing the so called right,obedience( if we are obedient to making this building fund payment, we do not know how but God will bless us in some way BECAUSE we chose ( and earned through obedience His blessing of that car accident payment) that building fund payment as our honest obligation to God's church. Was the Toddster and his wife caught in the if... then delimma- if we give then God will bless us and work it out. Or was the Toddster and his wife 'all in" immediately and without question going to the pay the building fund amount because they trusted the Lord 100%. Well as the story is told, they reasoned it out, worried about it, then from column A chose to pay the bill.

Grace is different- one is all in all the time with Jesus because that relationship is the most important thing going on in life. That is, an issue arises- the building fund payment; the issue is taken to the Lord- " we will do whatever you Lord" and you act on it. by the way in that scenario the Spirit might simply say to you-"pass on the building fund payment". And you follow that prompt. Now in a possibler grace scenario, the Lord could drop a $1000 bill from the COB window (they got lots of $1000 bills)! or the church could say we miscounted the money- we do not need any further contributions. Such an outcome would not be earned- the Lord acted and provided a "gift" to solve the issue.

I have seen grace operate in small and large ways- the key being the it is the Lord operating, an unmerited favor rendered and one's relationship with Him strengthened as a result and ALL you can say is "thank you Lord"!

my personal favorite "grace moment" from a few years ago still gives me shivers. Our board had raised 700k of 1.2 million to buy the land for a new homeless center. as a faith based 501c3 we had decided to accept no grants or contributions from any level of government- just "put everything in the Lord's hands". we were 2 weeks from closing on the property on 27 december 20xx. we were prepared to get a loan for the 500k needed to complete the purchase of the property. i was board chair in phoenix when the exec director called the afternoon of the 27th. he said he opened a nondescript christmas card and inside was a check for $500k and did i know mr and mrs xx. never heard of them -have they contributed to us before? Nope! The check was legit, the property was purchased for $1.2m without a loan. Digging a little, MR and MRS xx were known in the D.C. community as quiet philanthropists (according to the WASH Post). in contacting them i could hardly speak to say "thank you"- they were ever so gracious and said the thank you was enough- and "please keep our donation anonymous!" in no sense could any of our board or staff claim we deserved or merited that donation- it was God's grace!!

k

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:02 pm 
God

kairos wrote:
Grace is different- one is all in all the time with Jesus because that relationship is the most important thing going on in life. That is, an issue arises- the building fund payment; the issue is taken to the Lord- " we will do whatever you Lord"

Kairos, as long as the donation went to a worthy cause, homeless shelter, and not some bodies private jet I find your example to be a good picture of grace.

I almost did not get to that part of your post because I had to get by the piece I quoted above. This portion sounds like you think you have earned grace by accomplishing a much more difficult work than that done by the the Mormon couple who made a donation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:44 pm 
God

huckelberry wrote:
kairos wrote:
Grace is different- one is all in all the time with Jesus because that relationship is the most important thing going on in life. That is, an issue arises- the building fund payment; the issue is taken to the Lord- " we will do whatever you Lord"

Kairos, as long as the donation went to a worthy cause, homeless shelter, and not some bodies private jet I find your example to be a good picture of grace.

I almost did not get to that part of your post because I had to get by the piece I quoted above. This portion sounds like you think you have earned grace by accomplishing a much more difficult work than that done by the the Mormon couple who made a donation.

No, please never, never say or think "grace" is earned- it cannot be earned- you cannot ever be worthy of grace- you can never deserve grace- that is the of miracle of grace - grace happens in lives as a free/no strings attached gift of the lord toward a person or even a group. The Lord makes grace happen-not you, not me, not the church, not the pope, not Rusty, not Todd-the Lord only. when in receipt of an act of grace from the Lord, simply acknowledge it and say thank you Lord!

Does the above make sense, maybe a little? check out martin luther's coming to understand grace!

it was a struggle but once comprehended, luther felt he was free totally free of the law, because salvation was a free gift/unmerited, simply given and received1

k

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:56 pm 
God

Fear of missing out is legit. You are only young once. As a young single person you can take risks, push boundaries, fail, start over, find out who you really are. It's much harder to do those things once you are married with children and a mortgage. Sure, they are promised all this awesome stuff in eternity if they allow the church to control their life in mortality. I don't know. Sounds like a scam to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:01 am 
God

kairos wrote:
...............(my note of reservation)

No, please never, never say or think "grace" is earned- it cannot be earned- you cannot ever be worthy of grace- you can never deserve grace- that is the of miracle of grace - grace happens in lives as a free/no strings attached gift of the lord toward a person or even a group. The Lord makes grace happen-not you, not me, not the church, not the pope, not Rusty, not Todd-the Lord only. when in receipt of an act of grace from the Lord, simply acknowledge it and say thank you Lord!

Does the above make sense, maybe a little? check out martin luther's coming to understand grace!

it was a struggle but once comprehended, luther felt he was free totally free of the law, because salvation was a free gift/unmerited, simply given and received1

k

Yea but you introduce grace with a description of piety beyond me. I pray that I may hear Gods direction. On some occasions I do but generally I have to map my plan with my own mind. I can say God is most important but life is full of stuff that I must labor with, struggle with and problems I must take care of. There are things I desire and things that I hope for. I think that is how it should be.

It is your comment which makes me feel like I am unworthy of grace.

I have some familiarity with Luther and think he has some interesting thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:24 am 
God

huckelberry wrote:
kairos wrote:
...............(my note of reservation)

k

Yea but you introduce grace with a description of piety beyond me. I pray that I may hear Gods direction. On some occasions I do but generally I have to map my plan with my own mind. I can say God is most important but life is full of stuff that I must labor with, struggle with and problems I must take care of. There are things I desire and things that I hope for. I think that is how it should be.

It is your comment which makes me feel like I am unworthy of grace.

I have some familiarity with Luther and think he has some interesting thoughts.

please i do not wish to make you feel unworthy of God's grace- actually from what you have said, grace is already active in your life. simply the desire to have the Lord operate in your life
is grace-a free gift of the Lord to you.

i came to my understanding of grace when i looked at the actions in my life and those actions mostly sinful ones defined who i was and becoming. i did not like the picture my actions were painting of my life. i felt/knew i was sinner and did not feel i was not worthy of God's love much less eternal life. i was naked and broken before the Lord; on the day i came to Christ i cried out Lord i am not worthy to be you "son" do with me what you will for i am lost in this sinful world-take over my life because i have made a huge mess of things. in a moment of grace, the Lord touched my heart and through weeping and sobbing tears of repentance, peace, joy, relief, forgiveness flooded my soul- when i could gather myself, i realized immediately the Lord had changed me because i had no further desire to sin, felt a wonderful love for Jesus as my savior and Lord of my life wanting only to do his will in all things. i did not deserve nor merit nor work for what was freely given me that day-eternal life in / Christ Jesus.

So in a real sense we are not worthy, no one is, of eternal life but Jesus gave us the answer to how we can receive eternal life- john 3:16 plus absolutely NOTHING else- no works make us worthy even though the adversary will hint that works are essential.

hope this helps- you are not far from the kingdom- fully trust in Christ, in Him alone, works do not matter!

k