It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5th Faith Stage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:50 am 
God

Many here are probably familiar with Fowler’s faith stages. For those curious: http://www.psychologycharts.com/james-f ... faith.html.

I’m particularly interested in the 5th stage...

“It is rare for people to reach this stage before mid-life. This is the point when people begin to realize the limits of logic and start to accept the paradoxes in life. They begin to see life as a mystery and often return to sacred stories and symbols but this time without being stuck in a theological box.”

Here’s an example of someone in stage 5:

https://youtu.be/K7Hq6qzlK6E

Compared to TBMs (stage 3) - 5th stage is quite a leap, but there’s more I think. It’s not so much intellectual - but more about bringing what was dark/shadow/subconscious into light.

What do you think? Can you relate with any of the stages?

Post subject: Re: 5th Faith Stage
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:35 pm 
God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:15 pm 
Hermit

While there might be some truth to the "stages" I wouldn't invest too much into it, and I'd especially shy away from judging people by it.

Remember how, in the Matrix II, the Architect explains that he created the Matrix over and over, and an anomaly always appeared that he couldn't get rid of?

Had he read Fowler, then he'd have known logic had limits in advance, and never would have tried.

There are folks who swing towards metaphor who read stuff like this and feel vindicated and spiritually mature, and how wonderful that they never had to waste time on math, logic, and science. But I've known plenty of postmodern leaning folks who are every bit as immature as a stereotypical computer nerd, and every bit as inflexible in thought, it's just that their little black and white world has a few innovations that superficially make it look like they're avoiding the pitfalls of logic and reason that theorists like Fowler point out, when they really aren't.

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:40 pm 
God

Gadianton,
I agree that this shouldn’t be used to label people or as an excuse to avoid logic. Logic has its place for sure. Often when I come to this forum, I’m reminded of logical fallacies - but I also have seen them on news that claims to unbiased.

This theory helps point to the likelihood of more beyond some states of mind which some people hold who seem convinced they have arrived at “the” truth.