It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Curing and reversing aging the near future
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:05 pm 
God

I am reading Lifespan: Why We Age―and Why We Don't Have To by a Harvard Medical School scientist and I strongly recommend it.

If scientists effectively reverse aging it wouldn't be good news for religions like Mormonism. It is probably not a coincidence that people become more religious as they get older. Older people realize that life is short and no longer enjoy it like they used to, so they turn to religion. But science can reverse aging. According to the book it is be much easier to reverse aging than it is to cure all forms of cancer. Immortality may also be possible, but that is in the far future. Religion and Mormonism can't make you younger, but science can.

Post subject: Re: Curing and reversing aging the near future
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:31 pm 
God

DoubtingThomas wrote:
If scientists effectively reverse aging it wouldn't be good news for religions like Mormonism.

I wonder how most active believing Mormons as well as a number of other conservative religious people would react if aging were reversed. If the procedure is cheap would most Mormons take it? Would the church be fine with it or would they make rules against for members as well as support making it illegal for everyone?

Quote:
But science can reverse aging. According to the book it is be much easier to reverse aging than it is to cure all forms of cancer. Immortality may also be possible, but that is in the far future. Religion and Mormonism can't make you younger, but science can.

What implications might that have on an over populated world that is currently destroying the environment we depend on for survival?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:59 pm 
God

I must be bucking the trend. The older I get, the less religious I become.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:58 pm 
God

sunstoned wrote:

You and me both. Although I may have arrived at peak nonreligiousity. :wink:

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:20 pm 
God

Themis wrote:
What implications might that have on an over populated world that is currently destroying the environment we depend on for survival?

Go to Mars?

sunstoned wrote:

Yes, it is the other way around for 99% of people.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:52 pm 
God

I can think of few things worse for the human race right now than to significantly extend the lifespan of individual humans.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:01 am 
God

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Themis wrote:

Go to Mars?

Mars is a fascinating possibility to explore, perhaps even visit for a limited time.
Ever take a look at Mars? Do you figure on forcing people to relocate there by gunpoint? Perhaps with extended lifespans life here will get so awful that Mars will look like a quiet relief.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:54 pm 
God

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Themis wrote:

Go to Mars?

Mars has not atmosphere, no ecosystem humans can live on and would be very very expensive to get people there. It would be significantly less expensive and realistic to build infrastructure in deserts and polar regions then trying to put them on Mars.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:58 pm 
God

huckelberry wrote:
Mars is a fascinating possibility to explore, perhaps even visit for a limited time.
Ever take a look at Mars? Do you figure on forcing people to relocate there by gunpoint? Perhaps with extended lifespans life here will get so awful that Mars will look like a quiet relief.

Mars will not be a better place then Earth unless earth starts to go the way Venus has. Maybe in a billion years as the sun puts out more energy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:02 pm 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
I can think of few things worse for the human race right now than to significantly extend the lifespan of individual humans.

I don't consider significantly extended lifespans as a bad thing, but there would need to be changes to avoid some of the problems associated with people consuming resources for a much longer time, and what if they can extend that lifespan indefinitely?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:20 pm 
God

huckelberry wrote:

Why do you think all humans should stay on Earth? Have you ever heard of gamma-ray bursts? There is probably no Heavenly Father protecting us from extinction.

Res Ipsa wrote:

Well, there is probably no happy afterlife with Heavenly Father. 80 to 100 years is not enough time for me to do all the things I want to do in life.

Last edited by DoubtingThomas on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:25 pm 
God

Themis wrote:
Mars has not atmosphere, no ecosystem humans can live on and would be very very expensive to get people there. It would be significantly less expensive and realistic to build infrastructure in deserts and polar regions then trying to put them on Mars.

But it would be a good idea to have humans in two planes to protect humanity from extinction.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:25 pm 
God

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Themis wrote:

But it would be a good idea to have humans in two planes to protect humanity from extinction.

I have no problem with humans going to Mars but in reality we could have asteroids like the one which took out the dinosaurs or an all out Nuclear war and earth would still be a much more habitable planet than Mars.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 pm 
God

DoubtingThomas wrote:
huckelberry wrote:

Why do you think all humans should stay on Earth? Have you ever heard of gamma-ray bursts? There is probably no Heavenly Father protecting us from extinction.

Res Ipsa wrote:

Well, there is probably no happy afterlife with Heavenly Father. 80 to 100 years is not enough time for me to do all the things I want to do in life.

You are mixing up two questions: (1)Should we try to have an independent human civilization on Mars; (2) Could Mars be the solution to the population explosion that would result from "curing" aging?

Everything dies, DT. You will too. Learn to live well and die well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:06 pm 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:

There is nothing known in modern science that eliminates the possibility of immortality. Even if immortality is impossible, scientists can still significantly extend human lifespan. I want to live to at least 150 and I am willing to take risks with experimental medicine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:10 pm 
God

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

There is nothing known in modern science that eliminates the possibility of immortality. Even if immortality is impossible, scientists can still significantly extend human lifespan. I want to live to at least 150 and I am willing to take risks with experimental medicine.

True, and I think the Buddhist idea of being dead now so life is sweet makes a lot of sense, since death is inevitable, ........ for the body. If that's what we focus on, then we die. Vedanta takes another tack with this that I find fascinating. We are not the body, we are the process. When we identify with the process of life, we live forever. NOT as a body in our body, but as the process of living, there is no death. Sorta interesting that. Prolonging the life of the body is just wasting time. It keeps the focus out of focus on the really important thing.

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:51 pm 
Dragon

I'm now in my early 60's and I've gotten LESS religious as I've gotten older. Everything takes longer, is harder and you have to pay a price for all of it.

And I hate aging, everything hurts. EVERYTHING. God, to even be 40 again! I'd take it in a New York minute.

I just want to live another day and deal with each one as it comes. I can't think of the future anymore, too many of my friends are dead and died young (in my eyes). And the amount of people that die in their 60's is just ____ scary. And I'm here.

I used to listen to this AMAZING SONG and think it was so freaking far away and who would want to be that old...

Quote:
Sixty Years On

Who'll walk me down to church when I'm sixty years of age
When the ragged dog they gave me has been ten years in the grave
And senorita play guitar, play it just for you
My rosary has broken and my beads have all slipped through
You've hung up your great coat and you've laid down your gun
You know the war you fought in wasn't too much fun
And the future you're giving me holds nothing for a gun
I've no wish to be living sixty years on
Yes I'll sit with you and talk let your eyes relive again
I know my vintage prayers would be very much the same
And Magdelena plays the organ, plays it just for you
Your choral lamp that burns so low when you are passing through
And the future you're giving me holds nothing for a gun
I've no wish to be living sixty years on

Songwriters: Bernie Taupin / Elton John

And now, every day is a precious gift. And I want to live every one of them!

Riding on a speeding train;
trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain;
Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world
can change your direction:
One step where events converge
may alter your perception.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:07 pm 
God

Philo Sofee wrote:
Prolonging the life of the body is just wasting time. It keeps the focus out of focus on the really important thing.

The life expectancy of men that made it to adulthood was about 50 years in the 17th century. Did we do something wrong to prolong the life for the average adult?

grindael wrote:
I'm now in my early 60's and I've gotten LESS religious as I've gotten older. Everything takes longer, is harder and you have to pay a price for all of it.

And I hate aging, everything hurts. EVERYTHING. God, to even be 40 again! I'd take it in a New York minute.

Do everything possible to take 1 gram of NMN, 1 gram of Resveratrol, and 1 gram of Metformin every day, and do some excise, and try intermittent fasting.

grindael wrote:
And now, every day is a precious gift. And I want to live every one of them!

I feel the same way.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:25 pm 
Dragon

Nicotinamide Mononucleotide is EXPENSIVE! But I'm intrigued ... I do have a problem, DT in that I broke my back in 2008 (run over by a drunk driver) and my left leg and right ankle have had multiple operations... spent close to 8 years as a semi-invalid, but I've gotten better, but hard to do any exercising, the price is hard to pay. Right now nursing a torn right knee ligament from doing too much. It caused me to fall down some stairs 10 days ago and I fractured two ribs. If you don't pay one way, it's usually another.

But I bike and I lost 35 lbs since May (I had lost that in 2018 but quit smoking at the end of 2018 and gained it all back), but as I adjusted to the non smoking I worked on the weight again. So I'm back to where I was last Sept. at 240 and going down.

Riding on a speeding train;
trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain;
Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world
can change your direction:
One step where events converge
may alter your perception.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:03 pm 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:

Living well is good advice, and while I know you are talking about attitude when dying, we really don't have much control on dying well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:10 pm 
God

Philo Sofee wrote:
Prolonging the life of the body is just wasting time. It keeps the focus out of focus on the really important thing.

The body, which includes the mind, is all you have. Take care of it and it may last longer, be healthier, and make life more enjoyable .