From Kylie Woollard, Sept 17, 10:45 pm, on Facebook

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

From Kylie Woollard, Sept 17, 10:45 pm, on Facebook

Post by _Holy Ghost »

“Prophets are rarely popular. But we will always teach the truth!” -Russell M. Nelson

So was it truth when Brigham Young taught the Adam-God theory? (Deseret News, June 18, 1873) Or was it truth when Spencer W. Kimball denounced it? (October 1976 General Conference)

Was it truth when Joseph Smith claimed he didn’t practice polygamy? (History of the Church, Vol. 6, Chap. 19 p. 411) Or was it truth when the church now acknowledges that Joseph had at least 34 wives-several of whom were underage or were married to other men? (Plural Marriage in Kirtland and Nauvoo, 2014)

Was it truth when Brigham Young taught the doctrine of blood atonement? (Journal of Discourses 4:53-54) Or was it truth when it was denounced by the leaders of the church? (Deseret News, June 18, 2010)

Was it truth when Joseph Smith said the Book of Abraham was translated from scrolls that were written by Abraham himself? (Book of Abraham, introduction) Or is truth when the leaders of the church today admit that the scrolls Joseph had do not match the translation from the Book of Abraham, and weren’t even from Abraham’s time? (Translation and Historicity of the Book of Abraham, 2014)

Was it truth when Brigham Young taught that polygamy was essential to obtaining exaltation? (Journal of Discourses 11:269) Or was it truth when Gordon B. Hinckley said that polygamy was not doctrinal? (Larry King Live, September 1998)

Was it truth when Brigham Young banned blacks from receiving the priesthood (and more importantly from entering the temple), and when he and other leaders taught that black people would only enter the celestial kingdom as servants (Mark E. Peterson August 27, 1954) taught that a white person who married a black person would be killed on the spot (Journal of Discourses 7:290-291; 10:110), taught that black people would be the last of God’s children to receive the priesthood (Journal of Discourses, 7:290), and taught that black people were less valiant in the preexistence? (Statement by the First Presidency, August 17, 1949) Was it truth when for over 100 years every prophet from Brigham Young to Harold B. Lee upheld these racist teachings and policies? Or was it truth when the ban was lifted? Is it truth when today’s leaders “disavow these theories?” (Race and the Priesthood, 2013)

Was it truth when Harold B. Lee taught that people with disabilities were less valiant in the preexistence? (Decisions for Successful Living, p. 165) Or is the truth that we are much more than our disabilities and our temporary afflictions? (Jeffrey R. Holland, Like a Broken Vessel, October 2013 General Conference)

Was it truth when Boyd K. Packer taught that someone couldn’t have “inborn tendencies” (a.k.a.: be born gay) because God wouldn’t do that to his children? (Boyd K. Packer, Cleansing the Inner Vessel, October 2010 General Conference) Or was it truth when leaders taught that same sex attraction wasn’t a sin but acting on it was? (M. Russell Ballard, The Lord Needs You Now!, Ensign Sep. 2015)

Was it truth when the leaders implemented a policy in 2015 that children of same sex couples should be prohibited from being baptized? Or was it truth when only 4 years later “God” changed his mind and the policy was reversed?

Truth is truth. But I’m not sure if the LDS leaders know what truth is. Don’t take my word for it though, I’m just one of those “disaffected” members who certainly can’t be a source for truth.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: From Kylie Woollard, Sept 17, 10:45 pm, on Facebook

Post by _I have a question »

I think that’s a view shared by a lot of people in and out of the Church. Mr Nelson’s claim about prophets and truth is just so easy to rebut these days that it’s a little embarrassing that he is still claiming it. It’s like Bernie Madoff claiming he’s a trusted source of investment bonds.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: From Kylie Woollard, Sept 17, 10:45 pm, on Facebook

Post by _Philo Sofee »

I'm willing to bet MentalGymnast continues to believe Russell M. Nelson is a true prophet however, and that he spoke the truth, at least! Sure all those others lied, but hey they're dead now, so lets move on to the truth with this living dude here.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."