It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:55 am 
CTR A

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:26 am
Posts: 126
I listened to the whole creepy mess of a speech, and since this is largely an internal matter for believers, what can you do but shrug.

I do have to say, one of the most irksome aspects of the speech to me was Nelson invoking his background and experience as a Cardiac Surgeon. He helped the world move from ignorance to further light & knowledge, Don't-Cha-Know. He's a Doctor, and an accomplished one! He should therefore, be believed, listened to and respected on a host of other subjects - scientific, religious, political, whatever. Yet he seems almost completely ignorant and uncurious about the current state of sexual orientation science.

Anyway, I was embarrassed for him.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:02 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:47 pm
Posts: 5963
Speaking of which, is not Russell Nelson the only president of the LDS church who has actually taken a Hippocratic oath to do no harm?

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:05 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm
Posts: 2694
From the speech toward the end:

Quote:
Though it may not have looked this way to some, the 2015 and 2019 policy adjustments on this matter were both motivated by love—the love of our Heavenly Father for His children and the love of the Brethren for those whom we serve.


I would change "some" to "most." I would also change "love" to "sour grapes" regarding the 2015 changes and "love" to "a fear of continued backlash" for the 2019 walk-back changes. Nelson is obviously full of ____ on this one.

_________________
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:08 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm
Posts: 2694
consiglieri wrote:
Speaking of which, is not Russell Nelson the only president of the LDS church who has actually taken a Hippocratic oath to do no harm?


But he is doing it for the children, the children, Consiglieri. I wonder how many people caught doing misdeeds have used this excuse over the centuries? It has to be a very high number.

_________________
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:42 am 
God

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:39 pm
Posts: 8141
consiglieri wrote:
Just got done listening to the much heralded address of President Nelson on YouTube.


I just listened to it. Nicely done. Covers the bases. Pres. Nelson is a man of Love. God is a God of Love.

Regards,
MG


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:11 pm 
God

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:21 pm
Posts: 1025
mentalgymnast wrote:
consiglieri wrote:
Just got done listening to the much heralded address of President Nelson on YouTube.


I just listened to it. Nicely done. Covers the bases. Pres. Nelson is a man of Love. God is a God of Love.

Regards,
MG


Good to hear. Mormonism certainly is a good fit for you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:13 pm 
God

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:39 pm
Posts: 8141
Stem wrote:

Good to hear. Mormonism certainly is a good fit for you.


One not so minor quibble. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints would be a more appropriate designation.

I think that on the whole the church is a good fit for anyone who desires to follow all the commandments of God. That's quite a few folks across the world. I consider myself to be in good company. :wink:

Regards,
MG


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:21 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:28 pm
Posts: 2361
My neck is still hurting from the whiplash...

_________________
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:28 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:28 pm
Posts: 2361
99.9% of active believing members will never connect the dots between Nelson’s 2015 statements claiming revelation and his 2019 reversal. End result... the church wins irrespective

_________________
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:28 pm 
Seedy Academician
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:00 pm
Posts: 20094
Location: The Brutus Memorial Rectory at Cassius University
Is it true that the policy hasn’t changed that much? Isn’t it the case that a child must disavow a parent’s gay relationship in order to be baptized?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:36 pm 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 8990
Quote:
The fourth truth is about how God inspired the policy in the first place, but after President Nelson saw all the pain it was causing, he went back to God and pleaded with him to change it and God allowed him to do so.


There was recently a thread about Abraham and god asking him to sacrifice his son, and the immorality of such a request. I can’t help but see a similar situation here. It could be interpreted as god putting the policy in place in 2015, with all the contingent harm, to test Nelson, et. al., to see if they would be obedient, even in the face of an immoral request. But Nelson failed, so god withdrew the challenge.

How else to interpret god being willing to harm people for all those years, when it wasn’t the correct policy? And if it was the correct policy, then the church failed. Either way, it speaks of a god willing to harm people, just because he can.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:40 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:19 pm
Posts: 3322
Location: The Mahonri Young Academy of Art
Kishkumen wrote:
Is it true that the policy hasn’t changed that much? Isn’t it the case that a child must disavow a parent’s gay relationship in order to be baptized?



Wow, Reverend, I hope that's not true. If it is, then mentalgymnast's statement...

MG wrote:
I think that on the whole the church is a good fit for anyone who desires to follow all the commandments of God.


...would be a lie. If I remember correctly, the Fourth Commandment is something about honoring your father and mother.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:49 pm 
God

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:21 pm
Posts: 1025
mentalgymnast wrote:
One not so minor quibble. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints would be a more appropriate designation.

I think that on the whole the church is a good fit for anyone who desires to follow all the commandments of God. That's quite a few folks across the world. I consider myself to be in good company. :wink:

Regards,
MG


Two more signs that Mormonism is a good fit for you. We kinda went over the elitism some time back, but naïvété has been a common hallmark of a Mormon. I think technical quibbling over terminology might soon become another sure sign.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:35 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:47 pm
Posts: 5963
When you have to start a sentence with "it may not have looked that way to some, "you know you are already losing the argument.

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:39 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:47 pm
Posts: 5963
President Nelson had to destroy the church in order to save it.

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:01 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 am
Posts: 5680
Location: Firmly on this earth
Quote:
Stem
Good to hear. Mormonism certainly is a good fit for you.

Mental
One not so minor quibble. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints would be a more appropriate designation.


Oh Jesus Zeus Christ quit being SUCH a Mormon already!

\

_________________
Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:52 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:38 am
Posts: 2113
Location: Edessa
Hey consiglieri, when can we expect the epic takedown podcast from you and Bill regarding this one?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:52 pm 
Son of Perdition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 10409
Location: Hell
mentalgymnast wrote:
One not so minor quibble. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints would be a more appropriate designation.


Jesus Christ, you've been in the church how long? And you still can't spell it right. It's with a little "d". Can you remember that next time? It bugs the hell out me when you devout Mormons can't even spell the name of your church correctly. Get it right next time!

For Christ sake!

:mad:

_________________
THE BOOK OF ABRAHAM FACSIMILE NO. 3

Includes a startling new discovery!

An original and authentic look at Facsimile No. 3 as never seen before.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:04 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 am
Posts: 5680
Location: Firmly on this earth
Quote:
Jesus Christ, you've been in the church how long? And you still can't spell it right. It's with a little "d". Can you remember that next time? It bugs the hell out me when you devout Mormons can't even spell the name of your church correctly. Get it right next time!


Because this is going to be such an issue, Jesus is going to tell Russell that well, after all, it really IS difficult to express my holy name in such a loooooong sentence, so, yeah, go ahead, call it Mormon after all. And through revelation Jesus will once again change his mind, and thus thwart Satan making so many touchdowns, YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus for the Interception baby!

_________________
Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:11 pm 
Son of Perdition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 10409
Location: Hell
Aristotle Smith wrote:
Hey consiglieri, when can we expect the epic takedown podcast from you and Bill regarding this one?


I'll pay $5!

Who'll pay $10?

Anyone for $15?

Do I hear $20?

Ante up boys and girls!

:lol:

_________________
THE BOOK OF ABRAHAM FACSIMILE NO. 3

Includes a startling new discovery!

An original and authentic look at Facsimile No. 3 as never seen before.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:10 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:47 pm
Posts: 5963
Aristotle Smith wrote:
Hey consiglieri, when can we expect the epic takedown podcast from you and Bill regarding this one?


Sunday morning, bright and early, the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise!

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Analytics, Dr Moore, sunstoned and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group