Was Joseph Smith trolling us?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Maksutov
God

Was Joseph Smith trolling us?

Post by Maksutov »

Mormon - "More Money"
Moroni - "Moron"
Hill Cumorah - "Hill Come More -Uh!"

It's like a church founded by a lewd and snarky tween. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

Grudunza
Valiant B

Re: Was Joseph Smith trolling us?

Post by Grudunza »

Would fit with his sophomoric attempts at language creation.

I heard something recently on a podcast that supposed the word “Mormon” to be a combination of names relating to the Masonry scandals of the time, which the Book of Mormon is likely commenting on in some parts; William MORgan, and —— Ack, I can’t remember the other person, but the name had MON in it. Monroe, probably.

Edit: So William Morgan was a well-known anti-Mason who went missing and was presumed dead and killed by Masons. At one point, they found a body and thought it was Morgan, but it was identified as another missing man, Timothy Munro/Monroe. This would have been pretty big news at the time, likely known to Joseph Smith, and that’s where the speculation for him combining MORgan/MONroe comes from.
http://www.WeirdAlma.com
Weird Alma - Prophet of the New Disputation

Maksutov
God

Re: Was Joseph Smith trolling us?

Post by Maksutov »

Grudunza wrote:Would fit with his sophomoric attempts at language creation.

I heard something recently on a podcast that supposed the word “Mormon” to be a combination of names relating to the Masonry scandals of the time, which the Book of Mormon is likely commenting on in some parts; William MORgan, and —— Ack, I can’t remember the other person, but the name had MON in it. Monroe, probably.

Edit: So William Morgan was a well-known anti-Mason who went missing and was presumed dead and killed by Masons. At one point, they found a body and thought it was Morgan, but it was identified as another missing man, Timothy Munro/Monroe. This would have been pretty big news at the time, likely known to Joseph Smith, and that’s where the speculation for him combining MORgan/MONroe comes from.

Last Podcast on the Left? A pretty hilarious (if sometimes inaccurate) takedown. :biggrin:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov