It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't feel the spirit? Perhaps you're just mentally ill!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:19 am 
God

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wrote:
I can’t feel the Spirit. Is it my fault that I’m struggling? Do I just need more faith?

An inability to feel the Spirit, or a general feeling of apathy or numbness, is often a symptom of poor mental health. God has not forsaken you. Even Christ, in the Garden of Gethsemane, felt the Spirit withdraw for a time, but then God sent an angel to support Him (see Luke 22:41–44). Consider for a moment that the Spirit may be communicating with you in a different way than you have experienced thus far in your life. When you struggle to feel the Spirit, or to feel anything at all, try combining these suggestions with prayer as you are able:

• Counsel with others. Make every effort to counsel together with your family, bishop, or mental health professional. Thoughtfully implement helpful recommendations.
  • Remember what you knew. Find an old journal entry that describes a spiritual experience or talk to someone you trust. Have that person remind you of personal strengths, spiritual experiences, and testimony that you’ve shared with them in the past.
  • Fill your home with light. Literally turn on lights or sit in the sunshine. Play uplifting music, listen to talks from general conference, look at artwork, or read the scriptures or another good book. Make your home a place of peace where the Spirit can dwell.
  • Check in with yourself. Consider whether or not you can feel anything right now. If you feel numb or disconnected, talk to a trusted friend, family member, or Church leader, or seek professional help.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/mentalhealth#16962116872074266769-eng

I'd be most interested in comments from people who are, or were, in mental health occupations.

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."

Post subject: Re: Can't feel the spirit? Perhaps you're just mentally ill!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:28 am 
God

"Inability to feel the spirit" describes me very well but "a general feeling of apathy or numbness" does not.

I feel great until I go into a church building, and I was never more miserable than when I was doing everything the church asked of me.

It seems like the author of this passage just can't even imagine someone who is perfectly fine without the church and actually suffers negative psychological consequences from being there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:04 pm 
God

This is total nonsense. Those who claim to hear voices and claim those voices are from God are the ones more likely in need of mental health counseling.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:27 pm 
God

Mopology doesn't shed much light on the nature of Satan. Except by example. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:56 pm 
Valiant B

The power of God cannot penetrate white fabric covered tables, lids on small oil containers, or hormones and neurotransmitters.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:21 pm 
God

malkie wrote:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wrote:
I can’t feel the Spirit. Is it my fault that I’m struggling? Do I just need more faith?

An inability to feel the Spirit, or a general feeling of apathy or numbness, is often a symptom of poor mental health. God has not forsaken you. Even Christ, in the Garden of Gethsemane, felt the Spirit withdraw for a time, but then God sent an angel to support Him (see Luke 22:41–44). Consider for a moment that the Spirit may be communicating with you in a different way than you have experienced thus far in your life. When you struggle to feel the Spirit, or to feel anything at all, try combining these suggestions with prayer as you are able:

• Counsel with others. Make every effort to counsel together with your family, bishop, or mental health professional. Thoughtfully implement helpful recommendations.
  • Remember what you knew. Find an old journal entry that describes a spiritual experience or talk to someone you trust. Have that person remind you of personal strengths, spiritual experiences, and testimony that you’ve shared with them in the past.
  • Fill your home with light. Literally turn on lights or sit in the sunshine. Play uplifting music, listen to talks from general conference, look at artwork, or read the scriptures or another good book. Make your home a place of peace where the Spirit can dwell.
  • Check in with yourself. Consider whether or not you can feel anything right now. If you feel numb or disconnected, talk to a trusted friend, family member, or Church leader, or seek professional help.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/mentalhealth#16962116872074266769-eng

I'd be most interested in comments from people who are, or were, in mental health occupations.

I could be wrong, but I don't think mental health professionals are trained to help Mormons feel the spirit. Will the church be issuing guidelines for mental health professionals on how to deal with Mormons who can't feel the spirit?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:15 pm 
God

DarkHelmet wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think mental health professionals are trained to help Mormons feel the spirit. Will the church be issuing guidelines for mental health professionals on how to deal with Mormons who can't feel the spirit?

Perhaps the church will recommend shock therapy? It worked wonders back in the 70's (in the brethren's misguided opinion) and the brethren love being 40 to 50 years behind the times ....

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:30 pm 
God

This is just sad, as well as ridiculous. No wonder the church is losing the Millenials, among others. What an insipidly stupid message to send out to people. You want to see the mentally insane? I can point to no better person than the super-uber Mormon apologist Lou Midgley. Now there is an unstable mentally ill person. Read the TENS OF THOUSANDS of witnesses on ExMormon to the free and spiritually uplifting lives they are living now, once they got out of Mormonism! Do witnesses mean anything at all to Mormons? There are literally TENS OF THOUSANDS proclaiming they got over their anxiety, fear, emotional abuse once they left Mormonism. Does that not count? The mentally ill are those who fear to actually investigate why they are so miserable from within the church. And so, they remain in the church out of fear. It is utterly sad.

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:19 pm 
God

It's another reason members can use to justify why so and so left. However it goes both ways. I guess we can start looking down on those poor mentally ill members who feel the need to talk to an imaginary friend every night and throughout the day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:39 am 
God

Exiled wrote:
It's another reason members can use to justify why so and so left. However it goes both ways. I guess we can start looking down on those poor mentally ill members who feel the need to talk to an imaginary friend every night and throughout the day.

Or better, start helping them.... I am not disparaging them for being mentally ill, Many simply are stuck, not knowing what to do and wringing their hands in despair in the dark, lonely hours by themselves. It sincerely does not have to be that horror show for them however. There actually is wonderful peace fulfilling bliss to be had, here, and now. It's a gigantic relief as well that then allows you to begin to see beauty and peacefully and lovingly enjoy friends and family, etc. The world is a sumptuous beautiful dance! Heaven can wait, we are here, alive right now.

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:07 am 
God

I wish I could remember who posted it so I could give proper credit, but it was definitely a member of this board.

It was something along the lines of, “Only in Mormonism, would someone need to see a mental health professional for not hearing voices.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:29 am 
Savior (mortal ministry)

I believe that was Gadianton.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:07 am 
God

Doctor Steuss wrote:
I wish I could remember who posted it so I could give proper credit, but it was definitely a member of this board.

It was something along the lines of, “Only in Mormonism, would someone need to see a mental health professional for not hearing voices.”

:lol: That is an excellent point.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 am 
God

(wrong thread)

Last edited by DarkHelmet on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:39 am 
God

Comparing those who don't equate ordinary emotion to some spiritual experience with the mentally ill strikes of desperation on the part of the church. Are there any psychiatrists or psychologists who agree with this? Wouldn't it be malpractice to prescribe pills merely because someone doesn't equate ordinary emotion to the church somehow being true?