Blake Ostler's Testimony on Mormon Scholars Testify on FAIR

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Blake Ostler's Testimony on Mormon Scholars Testify on FAIR

Post by _Philo Sofee »

https://www.fairmormon.org/testimonies/scholars/blake-t-ostler
My background is in law and in analytic philosophy, with an emphasis in the philosophy of religion. Virtually every challenge to belief is earnestly explored at length in the discipline of the philosophy of religion. This field of study presents every conceivable argument both for and against faith. I have been blessed to be exposed to numerous perspectives and the remarkable faith of some of the great minds in human history. I have felt a challenge throughout my life to honestly explore, challenge, and assess my beliefs. It is rare for a philosopher to claim to know anything. The realm of what we can honestly say we know is extremely small. Nevertheless, I know what I have experienced. I know that God has spoken in my heart of the truthfulness of the revelations of Jesus Christ to Joseph Smith.

The interesting thing about this is, I have no reason to doubt him. His experience I have no reason to question at all. Many have this kind of religious experience. His interpretation of that experience I have no reason to follow however. Why do I say this shocking thing? I do not disparage his testimony. There are millions who interpret their testimonies along the same lines of their sacred experience. Something happens in people's souls when they look and wish terribly to find, and they find the experience as Ostler has noted.

For a Mormon like Ostler, that experience is contextualized within the religion he wants to be true, and so, his interpretation falls within that parameter for his reality.

But for someone like William Lane Craig, his experience demonstrates that his interpretation of that experience indicates to him that Joseph Smith is a false prophet and the revelations are bogus. Let me see if I can go find his testimony online. What impresses me at this point in my life is, it is no longer necessary to say one or the other or both are liars. Neither is lying. There is an experience all humans feel. When it comes to interpreting that experience, they all fall within what is comfortable or familiar with the individual, whether it is as a Muslim, Christian, Mormon or Buddhist. The experience is divine, the interpretation human.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."