It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sunstone Europe: Hugh Nibley Prophetic Against Leaders
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:57 am 
God

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52276
Quote:
Hugh Nibley warned in a powerful speech at BYU in 1983 that the Church has a choice to give power to actual Leaders who think outside the box and have charisma and creative minds, or Managers, the embodiment of the banality of evil, unimaginative but reliable drones who will never rock the boat and guarantee stability but at the cost of becoming stagnant and relentlessly falling behind the times instead of prophetically ahead of them. Nibley’s prophetic warning has been more than fulfilled now.
The power has been given to the Vogons. In ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy’, Douglas Adams was channelling Hugh Nibley and described the Vogons as an alien race of bureaucrats who are incredibly slow to think and act, but are still extremely dangerous because they stir themselves for occasional moments of intense violent cruelty blowing up planets to make way for a banal civil engineering plan for interstellar bypasses decided upon in remote committees without any consultation of that planet’s inhabitants. They also write and recite boring poetry that mangles grammar and logic so painfully it makes your intestines explode. Now, I’m not saying that reminds me of some General Conference talks, but Douglas Adams DID say that Vogon poetry was the THIRD worst in the universe…..
To me Real Mormonism has transcendent ideas about freedom and choice and personal development and becoming the Gods of creation.
But we are currently being fed very thin gruel indeed. Elder and Sister Renlund even had the nerve to mock members who are not satisfied with living on water from a paper cup in a leaky boat when they could be in a cruise liner…possibly the most self-defeating use of a metaphor in Apostolic Devotional history. They even had a cute animation made of it. What they and their colleagues have failed to notice is that the luxury cruise ship IS Mormonism. We are all meant to be on THAT boat! Not their leaking wreck.

I just wanted to highlight this portion of Meadowchick's excellent thread of Sunstone Europe. Hugh Nibley wasn't kidding about his prophecy, and yet the church ignored him imagining in his cute little way he was simply making people laugh. Looks like they get to reap what they have sown now. Good luck keeping anyone in church Mormonism.

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

Post subject: Re: Sunstone Europe: Hugh Nibley Prophetic Against Leaders
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:15 am 
God

I really enjoyed this part as well. A very close believing friend of mine converted in her late teens, and a trait she loves about the church is the concept of continuing revelation. She admired it for its transformative potential to help the body of Christ align more closely to the Savior, but the last couple decades had left her extremely dejected in her hopes.

Post subject: Re: Sunstone Europe: Hugh Nibley Prophetic Against Leaders
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:28 am 
God

Meadowchik wrote:
I really enjoyed this part as well. A very close believing friend of mine converted in her late teens, and a trait she loves about the church is the concept of continuing revelation. She admired it for its transformative potential to help the body of Christ align more closely to the Savior, but the last couple decades had left her extremely dejected in her hopes.

As with all of us! Once again, sincerely, thank you for posting the astonishing Sunstone presentation! That is incredible and enlightening. No wonder the apologists are going into rant and rave mode.......it now makes sense to see their gross impatience and really vulgar mean spirited handling of anyone questioning on the internet.

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-