It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cruise Lady is Now a Paying Sponsor of Interpreter Radio
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:13 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
huckelberry wrote:

I do not have any investment in defending Mr Peterson but I am actually puzzled. What in the world is wrong with this arrangement? In what way is it remarkable?

Tempest in a tea pot? I do not see a slow boil, no bubbles, just some tepid water.

One of the issues in running a nonprofit is justifying who is paid for work. So, for example, note that in the list of interpreter staff, Russell Richins is listed as Interpreter Staff, under “media and technology.”

(See https://interpreterfoundation.org/foundation/)

Under the Witnesses movie site, funded by a million dollars of Interpreter Foundation donations, note that the producer is given as a site: https://www.redbrickfilmworks.com/ , but the head of redbrickfilmworlks is russel richins, an Interpreter Foundation Staff member, according to Peterson: “from Russell Richins, the producer of our Witnesses film project.”
( https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... party.html )

In looking at the expenses for Interpreter, in 2018, they spent about $45,000 on the witnesses film, but in 2019, nothing has been spent, even though almost a million dollars has been raised, and Peterson has referred to continual work on this film project for close to several years.

Also, BYU religious education department has supposedly contracted for this film to add to their curriculum, so why isn’t BYU financing this if it is for their curriculum? Why is an Interpreter Foundation staff member listed as the producer, and why hasn’t the almost one million dollars been accounted for in expenses if the work is ongoing?

Lemmie, you add material which has potential for adding some heat to the tepid teapot. None of this had crossed my attention. I should remind myself that others may find interest where I didn't, We each have a right to choose our interests.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:30 pm 
God

Shulem wrote:
moksha wrote:
It's not like the Freemasons had copyrights or trademarks on their Temple ceremony or ceremonial garments, so try arguing that with Steve Densley in court.

What came first, the Masons or the Mormons? The Masons had the ball before the Mormons were even born. Later, the Mormons came around and stole it. They stole from the Masons in order to sell a newly packaged product to their own members.

They borrowed the ceremonial and garment ideas from the Freemasons, but then they added their own flourishes, such as the baker's hat and nude clogging. Those Freemasons would have never been inspired to restore nude clogging to all its glory!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:04 am 
God

Hey Voyagers, come join Dr. Daniel Peterson on the exciting Cruise Lady Book of Mormon tour to the Galapagos Island. Leaving from the Port of Provo on April 1, 2020.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:45 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Tom wrote:
Remember when Dr. Peterson noted that the January 31, 2019 broadcast of the Interpreter radio show "may be our last"? In April 2019, however, he announced:
Quote:
For the past several weeks, our friends at Cruise Lady have stepped up to sponsor our weekly broadcasts. K-Talk Radio (AM 1640) had decided to begin charging a nominal fee for our two-hour program (and all other such programs on its schedule), and Cruise Lady came to our assistance. We’re grateful and, quite candidly, we hope that their kindness and generosity will be rewarded by our listeners. I’ve been involved with the company for roughly a decade, perhaps a bit more, accompanying their tours to Israel, Egypt, Jordan, and several other destinations, and I think highly of them and their work. I recommend them without hesitation.

It must be noted that Interpreter Foundation's executive vice president, S. Densley, J.D., became Cruise Lady's COO, general counsel, and part-owner in March.

Tom, I wonder what you make of this recent announcement:

Sic et Non wrote:
The Cruise Lady kindly sponsors our weekly Interpreter Radio Show, and I’ve worked with them for a decade or more, accompanying tours to Israel, Jordan, Egypt, the British Isles, Peru, the Mediterranean, and the Baltic Sea. I like them. And, now, the Interpreter Foundation’s executive vice president, my friend Steve Densley, is affiliated with them.

"Affiliated with" seems like something of an equivocation in this case, don't you think? It's rather like saying that Tim Cook is "affiliated" with Apple. True in the most basic sense, but missing the most important details.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:22 pm 
Holy Ghost

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tom, I wonder what you make of this recent announcement:

Sic et Non wrote:
The Cruise Lady kindly sponsors our weekly Interpreter Radio Show, and I’ve worked with them for a decade or more, accompanying tours to Israel, Jordan, Egypt, the British Isles, Peru, the Mediterranean, and the Baltic Sea. I like them. And, now, the Interpreter Foundation’s executive vice president, my friend Steve Densley, is affiliated with them.

"Affiliated with" seems like something of an equivocation in this case, don't you think? It's rather like saying that Tim Cook is "affiliated" with Apple. True in the most basic sense, but missing the most important details.

Yes, that does seem to misstate the situation (m-w.com defines “affiliated” as “closely associated with another typically in a dependent or subordinate position”).

Several weeks ago, I listened to an Interpreter radio broadcast featuring Mr. Densley. He went on for four straight minutes at the top of the show promoting upcoming Cruise Lady (and BOMC) tours. At the end of the infomercial, he said it was “fortunate” that Cruise Lady was helping to sponsor the radio program. Without skipping a beat, he added: “I should mention that I am the business partner of the Cruise Lady.”

I’m puzzled by the headliners at Cruise Lady. What qualifies an attorney to headline a trip to Jerusalem or a professor of Chinese and Confucianism to headline a trip to Russia and Scandinavia? I’m willing to be a headliner if I’m simply asked to be charming, tell some jokes, and occasionally read some historical notes I copied from Wikipedia in exchange for free airfare, luxury hotel accommodations, and food for a week or two.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:17 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Tom wrote:
I’m puzzled by the headliners at Cruise Lady. What qualifies an attorney to headline a trip to Jerusalem or a professor of Chinese and Confucianism to headline a trip to Russia and Scandinavia? I’m willing to be a headliner if I’m simply asked to be charming, tell some jokes, and occasionally read some historical notes I copied from Wikipedia in exchange for free airfare, luxury hotel accommodations, and food for a week or two.

No kidding: it is one hell of a sweet deal.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14