LDS church suspends all church gatherings

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Maksutov
God

LDS church suspends all church gatherings

Post by Maksutov »

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/03 ... TfFnx_wTmM

To help combat the coronavirus pandemic, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is suspending public gatherings of church members worldwide “until further notice,” the Utah-based faith said in a statement Thursday.

That includes Sunday services and midweek activities for more than 30,000 congregations across the globe, not just in the faith’s Beehive State headquarters.

“Beginning immediately, all public gatherings of church members are being temporarily suspended worldwide until further notice,” the Salt Lake City-based faith announced in a news release. "This includes: stake conferences, leadership conferences and other large gatherings; all public worship services, including sacrament meetings; local congregational activities of branches, wards and regional stakes.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Re: LDS church suspends all church gatherings

Post by Shulem »

This is certainly the best time to be a Mormon!

:lol:

Mormonicious
God

Post by Mormonicious »

You mean that Coronabeervirus is more powerful than holy Mormon man god olive oil salad dressing? Can't be true!
Last edited by Mormonicious on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't heed advise, dietary practices, criticism, moral guidance, social causes, political views or job advice from someone who worships a man who had sexual relations with little girls and other men's wives. https://www.LDS.org/topics/plural-marri ... o?lang=eng

MsJack
θεά

Post by MsJack »

I know people will sneer and say, "See! They never had any healing power after all!"

But we already knew that, and I'm genuinely glad they're taking this step. People (especially the elderly) would have caught this thing at church and died.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter

Mormonicious
God

Post by Mormonicious »

MsJack wrote:I know people will sneer and say, "See! They never had any healing power after all!"

But we already knew that, and I'm genuinely glad they're taking this step. People (especially the elderly) would have caught this thing at church and died.

The larger problem caused by the Pandemic for All Religions is their relevance. If the all might deity of any Religion can't stop a simple virus, what good are they? Meaningless platitudes and supplications YET TOTAL dependence on Scientific advise and research make those who follow a Religious creed simply STUPID.

ALL HAIL GOOGLE GOD AND HER SON eBay and the Holy Toaster youtube. Real answers in Real time.
I don't heed advise, dietary practices, criticism, moral guidance, social causes, political views or job advice from someone who worships a man who had sexual relations with little girls and other men's wives. https://www.LDS.org/topics/plural-marri ... o?lang=eng

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Mormonicious
and the Holy Toaster youtube.
:lol: :lol: :lol: LUV IT!
Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

O magic 8 Ball, thou art God, do tell, answer me, O great ball!

Will an apostle catch the virus and die?

O thank you, great magic 8 Ball! The glory be thine!

O great and wonderful magic board, show us the name of the first apostle who will croak from the virus which you have sent to punish the wicked.

Mormon apostles dropping like flies!

Church is cancelled!

Yeah!

sunstoned
God

Post by sunstoned »

Shulem wrote:This is certainly the best time to be a Mormon!

This non-meeting stuff could become habit forming. The TBMs might find having a second Saturday kind of nice, and that the world doesn't end if they don't attend church every week. Many might decide might not return.

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

From "Sic et Non":

Philip Leaning wrote:All "public gatherings". Stated twice. Temples aren't public...

That's actually an interesting point. So, people can still go to the temples in droves, then?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

As our favorite fast food connoisseur and his nonagenarian lapdog might be inclined to say, “Bah! SCIENTISM!”

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Fence Sitter
God

Post by Fence Sitter »

Good move on the part of the church, I expect closing the temples will follow soon.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make priests its say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:As our favorite fast food connoisseur and his nonagenarian lapdog might be inclined to say, “Bah! SCIENTISM!”

- Doc

+100

I wonder if they would do an essay explaining the difference of the scientific approach to defeating Corona Virus, and the Melchizedek Priesthood method of the laying on of hands, and keep tabs over which is HONESTLY more effective.... Corona Virus is such a PERFECT litmus test for all priesthoods in organized religions... it just cannot get better than this pandemic. Will the Mormons put their priesthood where their mouths are? Time will tell. Perhaps God can inspire them in what kinds of excuses to use for their failure. Granted they will all be ad hoc. Let the squirming begin.
Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

Mormonicious
God

Post by Mormonicious »

Doctor Scratch wrote:From "Sic et Non":

Philip Leaning wrote:All "public gatherings". Stated twice. Temples aren't public...

That's actually an interesting point. So, people can still go to the temples in droves, then?

Nope, them Cleaner than the Cleanest, Holier than the Holiest, Purer that the Purest International Houses of Handshakes are now forbidden https://www.ksl.com/article/46729834/ch ... -the-world

SATAN WINS, SATAN WINS! All HAIL GOOGLE GOD and her Son eBay and the Holy Toaster youtube

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Mormonicious wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:
SATAN WINS, SATAN WINS! All HAIL GOOGLE GOD and her Son eBay and the Holy Toaster youtube

Hallelujah! Rejoice! The temples are closed.

Thank you, Satan.

:razz:

reflexzero
Deacon

Post by reflexzero »

...no unhallowed hand can stop the work...

Erm. I guess Satan has virus creating and spreading hallowed hands.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.