It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: more of gemli's gems
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:07 pm 
God

Gemli was on a roll yesterday:
Quote:
Logophile > gemli • 17 hours ago

To the extent that religious dogma is mixed with scientific ideas, science suffers.

You did not answer the question: Has anyone here proposed that scientific ideas be pursued "with more emphasis on religious dogma"?

Has anyone here mixed religious dogma with scientific ideas so that science suffers?

Come on gemli, you keep making these sweeping generalizations about science and religion that you cannot support by fact or reasoning. For instance, you still have not supported your assertion that all scientific facts (such as the apparent size of the moon or the conductivity of copper) preclude the existence of God.

Put up or shut up.

(Just a note, here, for the Mormon Sic et Non posters. To an East Coast commenter like gemli, and to all his followers, "put up or shut up" is an incredibly low-class and ill-mannered statement to make. Civilized discussions don't include such tripe, but Peterson's blog is certainly showing the world that it is acceptable to LDS apologists. Gemli handles it with aplomb.)

Quote:
gemli > Logophile • 16 hours ago

Yes, and yes! And people have tried to shut me up for decades to no avail.

Quote:
Louis Midgley > gemli • 7 hours ago

Poor gemli does not grasp irony.
Quote:
gemli > Louis Midgley • 5 hours ago

I suggest that you grasp while the irony is hot.
Quote:
Louis Midgley > gemli • 18 hours ago

Suppose I "suggest" that gemli needs a hair cut, or new shirts, or a shower. Would I be engaging evidence and arguments, or trying to know something about the past? Or the natural world. Or about human societies?
Quote:
gemli > Louis Midgley • 17 hours ago

No, you'd just be confusing as all heck.

:lol: And gemli, for the win. Again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:08 pm 
God

I like to think gemli is a woman gleefully snipping off the withered stones of these dorks. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:17 pm 
God

This one isn't gemli, but it really hit home, so I thought I would put it here. Notice it starts with Midgley being his usual asshole self:
Quote:
Louis Midgley > Billy Shears • 19 hours ago

But BS is not rational, and ignores inconvenient evidence.
Followed by Shears' brilliant response:
Quote:
Billy Shears > Louis Midgley • 4 hours ago

Hi Professor Midgely,

I’m personally fascinated by human behavior and the underlying cognitive neuroscience that provides biological explanations for the cognitive biases that have been observed in how humans perceive the world and make judgments. I’ve read several books on topics related to this by authors such as Dan Ariely, Michael Gazzaniga, Charles Duhigg, and Steven Novella. I mention this background to emphasize that I can say with a fair amount of confidence that I agree 100% with your post—I am not rational and I do in fact ignore inconvenient evidence. The human brain simply isn’t wired to be 100% rational and to properly take notice of all evidence. The brain evolved to use various heuristics and filters to make interpretations about sensory data, and while these heuristics and filters are grounded in biology and sometimes have evolutionary advantages, those advantages do not include being 100% rational and 100% free of blind spots in how we interpret the world.

The power of science is driven by the tools of empiricism and the mental posture of skepticism. That is how science overcomes the biases and blind spots of individuals. The challenge for those of us who sincerely want to understand reality is to overcome our own prejudices, blind spots, and irrationality. This takes an incredible amount of humility and questioning, and is something that too-many scientists fail to accomplish. That is what Max Planck was alluding to when he said that science advances one funeral at a time.

Best,

Billy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:20 pm 
God

Maksutov wrote:
I like to think gemli is a woman gleefully snipping off the withered stones of these dorks. :lol:

Now, now, we don't need to go there.... oh never mind. Yes. Yes, I like to think so, too. :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:48 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
(Just a note, here, for the Mormon Sic et Non posters. To an East Coast commenter like gemli, and to all his followers, "put up or shut up" is an incredibly low-class and ill-mannered statement to make. Civilized discussions don't include such tripe...

Would you mind explaining this a bit more? It's always interesting why something there is offensive as opposed to here.

- Doc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:30 pm 
God

:lol: this is great:
Quote:
Louis Midgley • a day ago

I really enjoyed the presentations today, and also meeting old friends, as well as making new ones. I pity the fake doctors and fake professors, as well as our Village Atheist, and others who have joined him, since they never seen to mention family or friends, or the joys and sorrows of the mortal probation.
Quote:
gemli > Louis Midgley • 21 hours ago

Lou, you're incorrigible. And unintentionally hilarious. Is a Mormon blog the place to talk about family and friends? I had no idea. I thought it was about, well, Mormonism, the implications of religious belief and all the ways it makes a shambles of reality. But I will add a few personal details. I have a bald spot, and a turkey neck that makes me hesitant to go outside during hunting season. I will give more details in future comments.

It's just the Midgefly, attempting to doxx people, as usual. Gemli responds like a normal human being.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:51 pm 
Hermit

Funny, I also noticed that response from Gemli to Midgley. It does seem like he and his comrades are better cut out for Twitter.

It's also interesting to watch Midgley put down Billy Shears. Billy is far above Midgley in terms of both capability and the effort he puts in to understand a subject.

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 am 
God

Quote:

...since they never seem to mention family or friends, or the joys and sorrows of the mortal probation.

I have now baited the trap through which we will
gain the needed information to find Gemli and then
... Exterminate!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:30 am 
Holy Ghost

Lemmie wrote:
:lol: this is great:
Quote:

I really enjoyed the presentations today, and also meeting old friends, as well as making new ones. I pity the fake doctors and fake professors, as well as our Village Atheist, and others who have joined him, since they never seen to mention family or friends, or the joys and sorrows of the mortal probation.
Quote:
gemli > Louis Midgley • 21 hours ago

Lou, you're incorrigible. And unintentionally hilarious. Is a Mormon blog the place to talk about family and friends? I had no idea. I thought it was about, well, Mormonism, the implications of religious belief and all the ways it makes a shambles of reality. But I will add a few personal details. I have a bald spot, and a turkey neck that makes me hesitant to go outside during hunting season. I will give more details in future comments.

It's just the Midgefly, attempting to doxx people, as usual. Gemli responds like a normal human being.

Gemli’s comment was classic. I notice that it provoked Dr. Midgley to post up a storm yesterday. A few examples (spelling and grammar in the original; he seems to slip into German in the first comment below):
Quote:
Louis Midgley gemli a day ago
What I actual read below that gemli hast is as follows: "I thought that it [Dan's blog] was about, well, Mormonism, the implications of religious belief and all the ways it makes a shambles of reality."

gemli has is backwards. He believe plenty, but fails to understand. For instance, gemli believes that Dan's blog "was about, well, Mormonism, the implications of religious belief and all the ways it makes a shambles of reality." I am not making this up. This is exactly what he posted below.

gemli imagined that Dan's blog "was about, well, Mormonism, the implications of religious belief and all the ways it makes a shambles of reality." He is very clever in a very odd way.

gemli is always mistaken. He insist that he "thought" that Dan's blog "was about, well, Mormonism, the implications of religious belief and all the ways it makes a shambles of reality." It can't get any worse than this.

"I thought it [Dan's blog] was about, well, Mormonism, the implications of religious belief and all the ways it makes a shambles of reality." This is pure gemli. This seems to me to explain gemli's obsession.

Plus, this truly bizarre comment from Dr. Midgley:
Quote:
gemli enjoys loves to opine up a storm, while eating in fast food joints in, of all places, New Orleans, yet. All the time anxious to be vindicated by death in, he hopes, an utterly meaningless brief existence. And he never had any urge to see London or Istanbul, or read Dostoevsky or Aristotle. And he has never wondered why there is something rather than nothing, or why some human are wicked, or that he can be conscious of being conscious.

I am not making this up. This is exactly what Dr. Midgley posted yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:53 am 
Hermit

Midgley wrote:
And he never had any urge to see London or Istanbul, or read Dostoevsky or Aristotle. And he has never wondered why there is something rather than nothing,

Has Midgley really had "urges" to travel or has he just been copying DCP? I'd like hard evidence that Midgley was a world traveler prior to meeting DCP. The apologists haven't really "read" Dostoevsky (and certainly not Aristotle). Oh, they kind of go over the words while all anxious -- "The good part is coming up! The good part is just a page away!". The good part is that one comment about God. So the apologists read Dostoevsky like die-hard Southern Baptists reads the New Testament. That's more of an "urge" to feel vindicated rather than to "read". And certainly, none of the apologists have ever wondered why there is something rather than nothing. Oh yes, they might pretend to wonder, or even ask the question in the manner of putting a baseball on a tee. Midgley might tee-it-up with a "hey, I wonder why there is something rather than nothing?" And then DCP swings as hard as he can, "GOD!" It's because of "God!" God is the answer to every problem that can't be otherwise thirty seconds or less. Gemli is absolutely right for calling out the Mopologist God as a "God of the gaps" as rarely he takes on any other role. It's too bad that hard swing hits all tee and no ball.

It's the apologists, rather, who have zero intellectual curiosity about the "big questions". One need not look any farther than their own explanations for why. As DCP often explains, they all learned the "A facts" as children, the basic, pre-packaged answers to life that the Correlation department came up with. Then there are the "B facts", information from reality that has nothing to do with the insignificant sect that the children were raised in. But no need to spend much time there, because the "C facts", the facts assumed deeper than the "B facts" look an awful lot like the "A facts", as DCP explains. Therefore, there is really nothing to do, but assume a really deep knowledge of any subject will fully support what they learned as nine-year-olds.

What an adventure of learning!

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:35 am 
Founder & Visionary

Lemmie wrote:
This one isn't gemli, but it really hit home, so I thought I would put it here. Notice it starts with Midgley being his usual asshole self:

Quote:

Hi Lemmie,

Many of the Midgley quotes you post practically demand a response--which I'd like to provide--so would you be so kind as to post links to the specific Sic et Non threads from which you copy, starting with this one?

Thanks in advance.

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:59 am 
God

moksha wrote:
Quote:

...since they never seem to mention family or friends, or the joys and sorrows of the mortal probation.

I have now baited the trap through which we will
gain the needed information to find Gemli and then
... Exterminate!

Looking good there, Louis Midgley. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:06 am 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Quote:

Hi Lemmie,

Many of the Midgley quotes you post practically demand a response--which I'd like to provide--so would you be so kind as to post links to the specific Sic et Non threads from which you copy, starting with this one?

Thanks in advance.

It's weird, the comment you are asking about shows up in the discussion for the blog entry in question, but when I go to Midgley's discus homepage for a direct link, it doesn't show up. The best I can do is to give you the link to Midgley's next comment in the discussion, when you open the link on that comment, scroll up two comments for the one I quoted.
https://disqus.com/home/discussion/danp ... 4571617036

Eta:
I think I found it, try this (wait for it to load, it will eventually go to the post. Awkward, I know. Sorry.):

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/danp ... 4570116586

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:49 pm 
God

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:44 pm 
God

[deleted]

[MODERATOR NOTE: Everybody Wang Chung, the individual whose real name and Facebook-harvested image you posted has an account here, so his real name and Facebook information may not be posted here without his direct, overt permission.]

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:42 pm 
God

tom wrote:
Plus, this truly bizarre comment from Dr. Midgley:
Quote:
gemli enjoys loves to opine up a storm, while eating in fast food joints in, of all places, New Orleans, yet. All the time anxious to be vindicated by death in, he hopes, an utterly meaningless brief existence. And he never had any urge to see London or Istanbul, or read Dostoevsky or Aristotle. And he has never wondered why there is something rather than nothing, or why some human are wicked, or that he can be conscious of being conscious.

I am not making this up. This is exactly what Dr. Midgley posted yesterday.

How crass. "Metcalf is a Butthead" is making more and more sense. These mopologists are just disgusting man-babies who have never grown up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:50 pm 
Hermit

DCP wrote:
I was a devoted fan of Dr. Demento, and would never, ever, think of criticising so august a figure. And my reverence for Tom Lehrer and others of his kind is profound.

A perplexing double standard, as the other Dr. Demento holds a master's degree only. By the standards of DCP, Mr. Midgley, and the uber derivative Peter Pan, that would make him a reprehensible "fake doctor".

The figure coincidentally sharing the name in the comments section holds a real Ph.D..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:58 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Lemmie wrote:
Eta:
I think I found it, try this (wait for it to load, it will eventually go to the post. Awkward, I know. Sorry.):

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/danp ... 4570116586

Thanks, Lemmie.

If those are too many steps, feel free to copy-and-paste the URL you see in the address bar; from there we can click "Ctrl-F" and search for the specific words you're quoting. Your original way is better, but in keeping with the rules we really do need a link to everything harvested from elsewhere on the Internet.

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:59 pm 
God

Quote:
These mopologists are just disgusting man-babies who have never grown up.

:lol: That is signature line material.....

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:51 am 
God

midgley wrote:
Oh I forgot, gemli does not believe in actually seeing places in this world. It is not exactly clear if it is his dogmatic atheism that has stunted his desire to see the world, or his indifference to what is actually out there is part of what made him a dogmatic atheist who
https://disqus.com/by/disqus_aerWbsvSe6/

What an ass. And Peterson just allows this mannerless doof to continue his harassment of people on his blog. Gemli has more of my admiration everyday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 am 
God

Another great point:
Quote:
gemli > B. Wilson • 3 days ago

In my humble opinion, people can sincerely believe in just about anything, from anti-vaxers to moon landing deniers to flat earthers, so the presence of deep and abiding belief is not a guarantee of truth. There are thousands of religions, each of which differ in crucial ways from the other, and all of which assert the existence of things that by definition can't possibly be demonstrated or confirmed. Straying from any of the fundamental beliefs of any religion comes with eternal consequences, so it would seem important to get them right. But when a religious belief runs counter to some fundamental reality, true believers reject the reality.

Religious beliefs aren't like others. We can change our beliefs about many things for many reasons. Sometimes it's unsettling to do so, but one thing it should not be is terrifying. Yet my Catholic beliefs came with a dose of fear should I ever doubt them. This is a guarantee that the belief can't stand on its own. Such beliefs are not offered out of love, but coercion.

Doubt is met with a children-of-the-corn stare from the community, and the doubter is condemned with pointing fingers and cries of HE IS NOT OF THE BODY, or, worse, smothered with "love."

None of this is about love. It's about fear, control, power and earthly treasure (i.e., money).
Amen.

Note that after Dr. Shades shows appreciation for gemli's post, Peterson engages neither post and just posts ad hominem insults, which is evidence he has no response.

Quote:
Dr. Shades > gemli • 12 hours ago
You, gemli, are a gift to Sic et Non. Thank you for being here.

----
DanielPeterson Mod > Dr. Shades • 11 hours ago • edited

gemli, you need to understand where Shades is coming from.

For somebody who resides in the kingdom of the blind, a one-eyed man seems like a king.

I may be mistaken, but I think that -- in P. G. Wodehouse's fiction -- it may be "Gussie" Fink-Nottle, lover of newts and blithering idiot, who has the intellect of "a petrified clam" but who is esteemed a "dangerous intellectual" by his fellow morons at the Drones Club.
and of course, the response to Peterson's ill-mannered grumpiness is quintessential gemli:
Quote:

gemli > DanielPeterson • 5 hours ago

I'm a big Wodehouse fan, and had a collection of short stories and several novels that the good Lord chose to wash away in the Flood. I still have the Jeeves & Wooster DVD set of the PBS series. Wodehouse had a way to showing human folly and puncturing pomposity. He was also an agnostic. I wonder what he'd make of the Mormons.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4574368675

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next