Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
moksha
God

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by moksha »

Not sure if the forces at Sic-et-Non have considered telling Gemli to go back where he came from, perhaps adding that with the power of the Holy Apologetic Priesthood they will banish him to the New York Times dimension from whence he emanated. In the name of boiled meat with miso and nori, Ramen.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Well done, Lemmie: this is very quickly shaping up to be the Mopologetic scandal of the year. Rappleye has denied being “the” author (however, it’s worth pointing out that “Peter Pan” uses the pronoun “we,” much like Rappleye does with his wife), but I don’t find his denial convincing. Rappleye has for so long seemed like the straight-laced, scholarly “underling” of the Old Guard Mopologists, but this latest development—if true—would show him to have precisely the same vicious streak: going after a fellow Latter-day Saint like this while using a childish pseudonym.

Of course, there is a very easy and obvious way to resolve the issue: “Peter Pan” could unveil “their” identities, but I don’t expect “them” to, nor do I think it matters. The mere fact that Peterson has repeatedly featured the commentary on “Sic et Non” is all we need to know. These people regard their fellow LDS with contempt.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

The article is posted on the BOOK OF Mormon ARCHAEOLOGICAL FORUM, where announcement on the homepage says:
This past year BMAF was acquired by Book of Mormon Central

The article:
Book of Mormon Geography in Neville-Nevilleland

by Neal Rappleye, Friday, September 4, 2015

http://bmaf.org/node/591

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Peterson:

But I will say, in the spirit of helpfulness, that trying to divine the IRL identities of posters here who use pseudonyms isn't an especially promising way to win my approval. Which you will need quite badly, given the toxic waste dump of your origin, if you hope your tenure here to last longer than that of a prematurely born and congenitally ill firefly.

Unbelievable. Midgley's been harassing gemli endlessly, trying to wring IRL data out of him, and using any little bits he gets over and over in the most repetitive and insulting way possible.

But NOW, Peterson decides that won't 'win his approval'? He allows an attack dog to harass any and all, why hasn't he said anything like that to Midgley?

This is not the LDS church I grew up in. These adult men, these mopologists, are an embarrassment to their religion with their juvenile asshattery. Again, Maxwell Institute getting rid of them was the right call.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Lemmie wrote: Midgley's been harassing gemli endlessly, trying to wring IRL data out of him, and using any little bits he gets over and over in the most repetitive and insulting way possible.

Dr. Midgley has maintained that he has a close connection with the Brethren. Is it possible that instead of just being overly cranky and aggressive, Dr. Midgley has been ordained as an internet Danite and is doing his best to fulfill his calling?

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

moksha wrote:
Lemmie wrote: Midgley's been harassing gemli endlessly, trying to wring IRL data out of him, and using any little bits he gets over and over in the most repetitive and insulting way possible.

Dr. Midgley has maintained that he has a close connection with the Brethren. Is it possible that instead of just being overly cranky and aggressive, Dr. Midgley has been ordained as an internet Danite and is doing his best to fulfill his calling?

:lol: you could be right, from what I hear, those Senior mission calls are VERY specific!

Stocks
CTR B

Post by Stocks »

God only knows what human indignities are possible from those with the second anointing and a chip on their shoulder.
… the only thing to do when a man is wrong is to be right by ceasing to be wrong. -- Edwin Lefevre

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Allan Wyatt wrote:Standing on principle is the high road, but it is a road that in this world leads nowhere.

Allan is talking about a post on Sic-et-Non that mildly disagreed with sending people back to where their ancestors came from. I think he is giving the intellectual justification for members of Even the Church of Jesus Christ to enter their traditional fugue state in order to push the Trump button on the electronic ballot (assuming control of the ballot box has not already been commandeered from St. Petersburg).

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Daniel Peterson wrote:But I will say, in the spirit of helpfulness, that trying to divine the IRL identities of posters here who use pseudonyms isn't an especially promising way to win my approval. Which you will need quite badly, given the toxic waste dump of your origin, if you hope your tenure here to last longer than that of a prematurely born and congenitally ill firefly.

This requires further comment. . . at the source.

Lemmie, will you please post a link to the blog post that contains that comment?

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Daniel Peterson wrote:But I will say, in the spirit of helpfulness, that trying to divine the IRL identities of posters here who use pseudonyms isn't an especially promising way to win my approval. Which you will need quite badly, given the toxic waste dump of your origin, if you hope your tenure here to last longer than that of a prematurely born and congenitally ill firefly.

This requires further comment. . . at the source.

Lemmie, will you please post a link to the blog post that contains that comment?

Dr. Shades:

The thread can be found here.

What this shows--to my mind--is just how deep and bitter this war is between the Mopologists and the Heartlanders. "Peter Pan"--most likely Neal Rappleye and his wife, Jazmyn (or however she spells it)--have adopted what Prof. Midgley would call "a silly handle" for the purpose of attacking other Latter-day Saints: that is the only function that "Neville-Neville Land" serves. DCP, Midgley, Smith, and all the others have, for decades, decried anonymity as "cowardice," and yet here they are, happily and slavishly slapped "Peter Pan" on their backs. Suffice it to say that Peterson et al. usually make more of an effort to conceal their hypocrisy. Like I said, this just shows how severe this "war" has become.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Stocks
CTR B

Post by Stocks »

So either he does know the identities, and is lying about it.

Or is endorsing an anonymous blogger, clearly hypocrisy.

Eeny meeny miney moe.
… the only thing to do when a man is wrong is to be right by ceasing to be wrong. -- Edwin Lefevre

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I think all this hilariously demonstrates that it is fatal to believe or even believe in what apologists say on whatever subjects they pontificate upon. And the good news for them is it is all for protecting their Lord, who apparently is too weak, too snivvly lost in outer space, and too old to care what happens on earth. They are living proof of the utter stupidity of religious thinking when it believes it needs to defend an absent Lord who does nothing, so they think it is righteousness to cover his butt. Hilarious!
Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Dr. Shades:

The thread can be found here.

Thank you, Doctor Scratch! Comment posted.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Dr. Shades > Louis Midgley • a day ago

". . . trying to divine the IRL identities of posters here who use pseudonyms isn't an especially promising way to win my approval. Which you will need quite badly, given the toxic waste dump of your origin, if you hope your tenure here to last longer than that of a prematurely born and congenitally ill firefly."

Are you listening, Dr. Midgley? Dr. Peterson has just put us all--to include you--on notice:
No more trying to divine the real identity behind the pseudonymous Gemli.
Louis Midgley > Dr. Shades • a day ago

For what it is worth, I actually have a real Ph.D., unlike the various fakes who post up a storm. In addition, I have exactly no interest in poor gemli's true identity. I enjoy teasing him about his dogmatic atheist religion, however.

:rolleyes: if you have to brag about your 'real Ph.D.,' you don't understand real phDs.

Midgley has spent an inordinate amount of time teasing out IRL facts about Gemli and others, and then, repeatedly and nauseatingly, referring to those IRL bits in the most obnoxious and hurtful way possible. Over and over and over.

If Midgley's statement above is true, then it can only be interpreted as Louis turning over a new leaf. After being threatened with expulsion by the Patheos owners for being a bully.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

For what it is worth, I actually have a real Ph.D., unlike the various fakes who post up a storm.

:lol:
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

Stocks
CTR B

Post by Stocks »

Well. I have a Ph.D. and I guarantee it was harder to finish than Midgleys was. But that was a long time ago. Who really cares if someone has a legit Ph.D. or just fancies the handle? It makes zero difference to the relevance of arguments being made, facts or analysis presented.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Midgley wrote:Do you post on Dan's blog merely to mock and sneer at Latter-day Saint...

Midgley asks the above. In what context, you might ask? Someone asked him why he posted this about gemli:
Midgley wrote:The one who calls himself gemli has not mastered any science, but he worships science in general, which is widely know as scientism. His assertions are very often clearly historical. However, since history is not a science, he just makes up history with bald assertions. He also seems to have no interest in traveling. Except when a terrible storm forced him to leave his hometown he seems to have ended up in one or more neighboring states. I feel sorry for poor gemli, and so should you.

:rolleyes: I can only imagine the eye-rolling. Who on earth imagines that people don't travel? Everyone travels. Gemli and his friends I'm sure are getting quite a chuckle out of these hicks bragging about their 'trips,' as, for some reason, Midgley seems to think only Mormons go places. Unbelievable.

Oh well, not my church anymore. As I've said before, gemli's New York Times readership here on the East Coast is getting an eyeful of how those Utah Mormons behave. I could imagine that they might chalk it up to a one-off bad-mannered old crank, except that Peterson lets Midgley's execrable bad manners go without comment while slapping down any hint of mannerlessness from those who disagree with his Mormon position. More and more, Midgley's bad manners are typifying the perception of Mormons made by anyone reading Sic et Non. Luckily that's not too many, although I'm sure gemli's readers always boost page views when he comments.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Oh, boy. This is NOT good for the CoJCoLDS (the J is silent):

Gemli, who asked that his real name not be used, is by some analytical measures the most popular commenter on The Times’s site.

He averages 354 reader recommendations per comment. There has to be some trick to this, right?

“The first sentence of the comment is key, and it’s usually the hardest to write,” Gemli said. “I can spend a half-hour writing and rewriting the first line.”

“Reading conservative pundits usually gets my goat, especially when they’re denying climate change, or recommending the continuation of economic inequality,” he said. “When they inject theology into public policy I have been known to write a mildly-worded rebuttal or two, after my left eye stops twitching and I regain my composure.”

Education occurs when you’re exposed to the world, and shielding yourself from it means that you’re not receiving an education. If there are things that you find too sensitive to bear, then you shouldn’t attend that meeting or take that course. Stay at home, in your room, with the windows shut and the TV off.

– Gemli

Mr. Peterson is doing the East Coast a great service by giving one of the New York Times's most venerable and cherished contributors a platform to essentially expose the effects Mormonism has on a believer's brain. Lolcow, indeed.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

Looks like Midgley is absent from the latest Religious liberty political thread. Kiwi is on double duty. Billy Shears has made some excellent points, showing that the religious right wishes to expand their freedoms specifically in ways that allows them to break laws. One of Billy's comments got six up-votes, laying waste to the props the apologists are getting, and judging by the names of his supporters, at least two of those six hold doctorate degrees. That's really impressive. Perhaps Midgley is missing in action because he can't handle going toe-to-toe with so many bona fide academics?
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Gadianton wrote:Perhaps Midgley is missing in action because he can't handle going toe-to-toe with so many bona fide academics?

He could have made a Driving Miss Daisey road trip along with with the Rappleyes to the Bluffdale, Utah data storage and analysis facility of the NSA to see if any fellow Saints could help him get the lowdown on Gemli.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Louis Midgley > Unconvinced • 4 hours ago

Uncon: "regardless how much followers want to deify them."

lcm: Uncom seeks to demonize Latter-day Saints! Why? If we knew his real name, this would be obvious.

Aside from the weird self third person reference, oh look! Midgley has a new target he's trying to doxx, Patheos Terms of Service be damned. Maybe he was told to lay off gemli, but didn't quite get the point of what he was doing wrong.