It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:42 am 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 9026
:rolleyes:
Quote:
Louis Midgley >> gemli
2 hours ago

But what gemli does toss around constantly is blank ignorance about, coupled with a total lack of interest in the faith of those he mocks, ridicules and constantly belittles. He is like a naughty little kid craves attention and who had somehow figured out how to constantly pass truly disgusting gas that generates attention. gemli seems to have a desperate need for some social interaction, even when it is negative, with other human beings.

When I first got to university, there were those who explained such behavior on poor early toilet training. I don't know what the explanation actually is. This is why I have wondered if gemli is married and has children, or friends. And uses posting comments on blogs as a way of having an exchange with other human beings. Recently he told us that he has been given the boot by an atheist blog. So it appears that even atheists had too much of a bad thing.

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/danp ... 4604018330

THAT’S why midgley wonders if gemli has children, friends, or a spouse? Because of his own truly unfortunate fixation on bizarre inclusions of toilet topics into conversations??

Gemli takes it in stride:

Quote:
gemli >> Louis Midgley
30 minutes ago

You certainly have a way with words. They conjure up vivid images and have a nice rhythm. Have you ever thought of writing children's books?

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:17 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 19121
Quote:
Louis Midgley

14 hours ago edited

The progress on this important project really pleases me. I have been busy, not doing something I was ordered to do, but trying to get my garage door mechanism replaced, my washing machine fixed, and purchasing an automobile to replace the one destroyed on Sunday morning in the parking lot in front of the Stake Center here in Provo, where someone drunk and on drugs smashed three vehicles, including my own. Dealing with insurance companies is a necessary pain. I now have a very nice automobile that I hope I can learn how to drive.

Perhaps Gemli paid The Midge a visit last Sunday?

- Doc

_________________
Honest conflict has more social value than dishonest harmony. People must be in conflict in good faith in order to wrest the truth from a stingy universe.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:11 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:44 am
Posts: 7460
Location: Cassius University
This was from the thread that was written in response to Philo's thread about the former female editor for "Interpreter":

Midgley wrote:
I was aware that my wife had a book that had every expenditure itemized for each month for each year for a decade. With warnings about items that had to be dealt with by certain dates, and where information of household items was filed. I managed to keep this up for two months after she passed away. And then I simply gave up. I have managed to survive for six years without immediate adult supervision. Well, I have had constant assistance from my daughter, and also from those who have taken pity on me in my Ward. So I have still been able to focus on the really important issues.


There are at least two ways to interpret this. This first is that he is sort of joking--"Ha, ha, ha! I have been able to live this life of frivolity because my long-suffering wife took care of the nuts-and-bolts, day-to-day details that help keep my life running!" But this would mean that he views his own career and Mopologetics as a kind of "indulgence": this isn't "real work," it's just screwing around because you find it amusing.

The other interpretation is that Midgley is serious, and actually thinks that his wife, daughter, and ward members should handle his bookkeeping for him so he can do Mopologetics, and opine up a storm on Dan's blog, because that actually and legitimately constitutes "important" work.

_________________
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14


Last edited by Doctor Scratch on Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:29 pm 
Hermit
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm
Posts: 9081
Location: Cave
Professor Scratch,

While conducting a tour of the university the other day, I came across a thread of yore. It's a thread that like a select Kentucky Bourbon, few of tamed passion will appreciate. For this reason, I'm embarrassed to devote an entire topic to my discovery, and so I present my findings to you within this little corner of our world, which is also a relevant spot for matters that intersect with the antics of a (non) intellectual historian who calls himself Mr. Midgley.

I made a point in that thread all those years ago to the present proprietor of right-wing pseudoscience blog Sic et Non. I wrote:

me wrote:
As apologists tend to do, you've turned this thread into a battle over who has more culture than who


I was responded to thus:

SeN Proprietor wrote:
LOL. That's precisely what several Scratchite threads here have sought to do, yet I've never seen John Clark or Jack Welch or Bill Hamblin or Lou Midgley or Shirley Ricks or John Sorenson or Hugh Nibley do anything of the kind.


Do you think that now, given that we've seen Lou Midgley devote at least half his time on Sic et Non bragging about how well-traveled, studied, learned, cultured, socialized, and "charmed" he is in comparison to Gemli, that I can ask the present proprietor of SeN for a retraction?

I'll admit, I'm feeling mildly celebratory, having seen the truth of his own favored companions better than he himself ever did, having known them for decades, whereas I had a few words here and there on the Internet to go by.

_________________
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:14 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm
Posts: 2706
Lemmie wrote:
:rolleyes:
Quote:
Louis Midgley >> gemli
2 hours ago

But what gemli does toss around constantly is blank ignorance about, coupled with a total lack of interest in the faith of those he mocks, ridicules and constantly belittles. He is like a naughty little kid craves attention and who had somehow figured out how to constantly pass truly disgusting gas that generates attention. gemli seems to have a desperate need for some social interaction, even when it is negative, with other human beings.

When I first got to university, there were those who explained such behavior on poor early toilet training. I don't know what the explanation actually is. This is why I have wondered if gemli is married and has children, or friends. And uses posting comments on blogs as a way of having an exchange with other human beings. Recently he told us that he has been given the boot by an atheist blog. So it appears that even atheists had too much of a bad thing.

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/danp ... 4604018330

THAT’S why midgley wonders if gemli has children, friends, or a spouse? Because of his own truly unfortunate fixation on bizarre inclusions of toilet topics into conversations??

Gemli takes it in stride:

Quote:
gemli >> Louis Midgley
30 minutes ago

You certainly have a way with words. They conjure up vivid images and have a nice rhythm. Have you ever thought of writing children's books?

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Dr. Midge projects again.

Dr. Midge, please consider that it might be you. You are the one who lashes out because Mormonism is indefensible. It is so painfully obvious to all who read your comments at sic et non.

_________________
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:19 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm
Posts: 20862
Location: Koloburbia
Gadianton wrote:
I'll admit, I'm feeling mildly celebratory, having seen the truth of his own favored companions better than he himself ever did, having known them for decades, whereas I had a few words here and there on the Internet to go by.

Was Dr. Midgley's mean streak readily apparent when Dr. Peterson defended him or is it a subsequent artifact of old age?

I suppose the case could be made that this meanness is what drove his dagger to the back approach in reviewing Grant Palmer's book, but is this fury at Gemli something new?

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:33 am 
Hermit
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm
Posts: 9081
Location: Cave
Penguin,

The fury at Gemli is most definitely not anything new, however, the media available for full range of expression and endorsement from colleagues is relatively new. "fury" isn't quite the subject of discussion here. We were assured, years ago, that Lou Midgley would be too busy to interact with us (I'm not sure we ever requested he interact with us, but the proprietor is always a step ahead of the game) because he was lost among the theaters of London.

Then, we were told point blank, that Midgley would never battle over "who has more culture than who". That the proprietor would use Midgley in his war of culture doesn't necessarily mean that Midgley would. What was missing was evidence from the source itself, which we've been blessed with in spades.

The #1 apologist argument of all time goes something like this:

- critics dismiss the Book of Mormon by evidence x, y, and z.

- But apologists have higher degrees than critics, travel more frequently, and enjoy more plays.

- since apologists have better culture than critics, their evidence against the Book of Mormon can be dismissed.

- the Book of Mormon is true.

_________________
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:51 am 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 9026
Doctor Scratch wrote:
This was from the thread that was written in response to Philo's thread about the former female editor for "Interpreter":

Midgley wrote:
I was aware that my wife had a book that had every expenditure itemized for each month for each year for a decade. With warnings about items that had to be dealt with by certain dates, and where information of household items was filed. I managed to keep this up for two months after she passed away. And then I simply gave up. I have managed to survive for six years without immediate adult supervision. Well, I have had constant assistance from my daughter, and also from those who have taken pity on me in my Ward. So I have still been able to focus on the really important issues.


There are at least two ways to interpret this. This first is that he is sort of joking--"Ha, ha, ha! I have been able to live this life of frivolity because my long-suffering wife took care of the nuts-and-bolts, day-to-day details that help keep my life running!" But this would mean that he views his own career and Mopologetics as a kind of "indulgence": this is "real work," it's just screwing around because you find it amusing.

The other interpretation is that Midgley is serious, and actually thinks that his wife, daughter, and ward members should handle his bookkeeping for him so he can do Mopologetics, and opine up a storm on Dan's blog, because that actually and legitimately constitutes "important" work.
Sadly, another interpretation is that midgley is aware that the female in his relationship handled all the unimportant but necessary issues of life, so that he, the male, could rightly focus on the important issues in life. It’s a position that degrades women, and it’s not the first time midgley’s mentioned it. I remember once reading with great horror where midgley mentioned how much he missed his wife, and how he looked forward to seeing her in heaven so he could thank her again —for running his household for him.

I’m sure he thinks of his daughter and the (surely female) members of his ward who provide his “adult supervision” now in the same way. It’s despicable.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:22 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm
Posts: 20862
Location: Koloburbia
I'm glad Dr. Midgley is getting some help around the house so he can live on his own as long as possible. Ward members helping with snow shoveling, lawn mowing, telling him to zip his pants, etc... are all a big help.

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:39 am 
Hermit
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm
Posts: 9081
Location: Cave
moksha wrote:
I'm glad Dr. Midgley is getting some help around the house so he can live on his own as long as possible. Ward members helping with snow shoveling, lawn mowing, telling him to zip his pants, etc... are all a big help.


Surely the ward members will be blessed. "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

_________________
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:51 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 am
Posts: 5721
Location: Firmly on this earth
Gad and Lemmie......

You are sincerely two of my all time favorite posters to read. Of course, there are literally dozens here. Now don't let that go to yer fat heads either... :lol:
And Penguin? You truly, literally, and totally are one of a kind. It is our honor to have celestially intelligent penguins in our midst. May you live long and prosper, and post!

_________________
Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:28 am 
Holy Ghost

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:45 am
Posts: 903
Doctor Scratch wrote:
This was from the thread that was written in response to Philo's thread about the former female editor for "Interpreter":

Midgley wrote:
I was aware that my wife had a book that had every expenditure itemized for each month for each year for a decade. With warnings about items that had to be dealt with by certain dates, and where information of household items was filed. I managed to keep this up for two months after she passed away. And then I simply gave up. I have managed to survive for six years without immediate adult supervision. Well, I have had constant assistance from my daughter, and also from those who have taken pity on me in my Ward. So I have still been able to focus on the really important issues.


There are at least two ways to interpret this. This first is that he is sort of joking--"Ha, ha, ha! I have been able to live this life of frivolity because my long-suffering wife took care of the nuts-and-bolts, day-to-day details that help keep my life running!" But this would mean that he views his own career and Mopologetics as a kind of "indulgence": this is "real work," it's just screwing around because you find it amusing.

The other interpretation is that Midgley is serious, and actually thinks that his wife, daughter, and ward members should handle his bookkeeping for him so he can do Mopologetics, and opine up a storm on Dan's blog, because that actually and legitimately constitutes "important" work.

That’s Dr. Midgley’s response to a long post by his close friend attempting in vain to justify the sad and embarrassing fact that the Interpreter Foundation has almost no women among its leadership (23 men and 0 women currently serve on the board of trustees, board of advisors, and board of editors) and writers? Mind you, Dr. Midgley serves on the board of advisors. Is he also a member of the Foundation’s diversity committee?

I must note Dr. Peterson’s response to someone who complained about the bold hot pink text used by Dr. Peterson to respond to a video from Brigitte Gabriel, a critic of Islam: “I was trying to go with Ms. Gabriel’s outfit.” You can’t make this stuff up.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:10 pm 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 9026
Quote:
Louis Midgley an hour ago
Last Sunday I and others had their vehicle smashed in the parking lot of my Ward by a fellow who was both on drugs and drunk. It was his father's car. When the police gave us the Drivers Information Exchange, we could immediately see that he was driving his father's car. And everyone standing around, including the police, immediately indicated that we were seeing a terrible family tragedy. If the driver's parents could not get this fellow to cease his behavior only more carnage would result. I have had to purchase a new vehicle, and so has the Stake President, and the father of the driver. These are actually trivial losses. when compared with mess that fellow has made of himself and the lives of his parents.

The fact is that if that fellow had been in some congregation worshiping God, this would not have happened.

Dan has provided above some evidence of what any faith has on avoiding these sorts of tragedies. Even when faith in God is not an effective restraint on the violent passions,

without faith in God and immortality everything is not only an open option but is permitted and even sometimes encouraged. Something goes wrong when people understand themselves as mere lumps of meat who are mere pleasure seekers. Their own lives and those around them are often made violent, short, and really nasty.

From the very beginning the Christian Virtues have been faith, hope and love. And these have traditionally been added to the Cardinal Virtues of justice, courage, moderation and wisdom. Neal Maxwell insisted that the virtues must move in a caravan.

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/danp ... 4607850679

The bolded parts explain, I suppose, why Midgley mocks, denigrates, and holds in contempt so many other human beings. All in the name of religion, right? His uneducated and vicious stance regarding his fellow members of the human race is sickening to read.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:44 pm 
Hermit
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm
Posts: 9081
Location: Cave
It’s also true that had the youth been in the church getting abused by a trusted priesthood leader, then this would never had happened.

_________________
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:56 pm 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 9026
Quote:
Louis Midgley gemli
3 days ago

gemli remembers when being a racist was just what one did in New Orleans. The reason is that he was then a racist. Now he is a religious and is demonstrating and also boasting about it in thousands of comments.

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/danp ... 4604625781

What on earth is midgley talking about?

Even gemli seems a little surprised.

Quote:
gemli Louis Midgley
3 days ago
It almost sounds coherent, but upon closer examination it's unparseable.
4
Reply

ETA: here’s the post midgley was responding to, I think:

Quote:
gemli Logophile
3 days ago
The same thing could have been said about racists in 1960. I hope they felt discomfort, and continue to feel it. The heavy hand of government squelched their ignorant and hurtful hate speech that was directed at people who had no choice in what they were being hated for. The squelching, abuse and denial of gay people is no different. Although lynching is frowned upon these days, there are other ways that people can be strangled and silenced. But to accuse people of totalitarianism for demanding that people be treated as human beings is perverse.

To which midgley responds:

Quote:
gemli remembers when being a racist was just what one did in New Orleans.

Wow. The midge really is an ass.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:15 pm 
Hermit
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm
Posts: 9081
Location: Cave
Quote:
I've traveled with him. I stayed with them and I traveled with them in New Zealand.


well, there you have it. As I've been saying. Because they've traveled extensively together, nobody is qualified to read his offensive comments in plain English.

What's funny about this guy, the guy making the defense, is that I think he goes beyond merely sticking up for his friends, and sincerely becomes frustrated with those who see through the obvious. For instance, when he tried to paint WS as a man of great refinement because he spoke to a waiter at pizza dive in Italian, and everyone busts up laughing over it, I think he really is shocked that people would react that way, and really expected readers to be intimidated and envious.

_________________
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:39 pm 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 9026
Quote:
Louis Midgley an hour ago
Last Sunday I and others had their vehicle smashed in the parking lot of my Ward by a fellow who was both on drugs and drunk....

The fact is that if that fellow had been in some congregation worshiping God, this would not have happened.

....without faith in God and immortality everything is not only an open option but is permitted and even sometimes encouraged. Something goes wrong when people understand themselves as mere lumps of meat who are mere pleasure seekers. Their own lives and those around them are often made violent, short, and really nasty.


https://disqus.com/home/discussion/danp ... 4607850679

But now midgley denies his statements:

Quote:
DanielPeterson

...Nobody, I think, seriously argues that living a happy, healthy, productive life is impossible without community and religious faith. It's simply somewhat less likely. The studies supporting that conclusion seem pretty strong.

——
Fred Kratz DanielPeterson
2 hours ago

Dr. Midgley seems to think so.

−—
Louis Midgley Fred Kratz
an hour ago

No Midgley does not hold that opinion. FK is merely trying to score a point by demonstrating his dislike of me and the faith of Latter-day Saints.

No, Midgley, you DID express that opinion. Have some integrity, please. Either admit you said it, or retract it if you’d like to. But this game you play where you act like a pig and then deny it behind a wall of religion is offensive and disgusting.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:02 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 am
Posts: 5721
Location: Firmly on this earth
Midgley is so blessed with the priesthood that he imagines Jesus is keeping tabs of all his good points and niceness he makes in posts, and then cherry picks by ignoring his bad comments. Jesus loves him I can tell, everyone else is going to hell, Midgley, Midgley thou are great, please don't stop until it's late. You can spit and you can swear, you are safe in special underwear.

_________________
Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:11 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 am
Posts: 5721
Location: Firmly on this earth
Sing to the tune of "We Thank Thee oh God for a Prophet"

We thank thee oh God for the Midgley,
To entertain us in these internet days,
We thank thee for sending the apologist,
To help us laugh through the haze!

We thank thee for every comment,
when he posts on Peterson's blog!
We feel it a pleasure to read them,
seeing him act so high on the hog.

We thank thee for Peterson's generosity,
For letting the Midget post away
We thank thee for imbecile thinking
for more and more of this we pray!

We thank thee for Midgley's stunted growth
In his brain thou hast tried to create,
We ask thee for no miracle here,
the witness is sure of the hate.

_________________
Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:17 am 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 9026
Quote:
Dr. VelhoBurrinho
21 hours ago
Dan thanks for posting this.

Professionally I have found that overall some type of 12 step program is invaluable with what we call “addictions.” And connecting to some type of higher power is key in healing the individual and reconnecting them to themselves and their communities. I would also say even someone healthy would benefit from at least working through the steps as a normal part of adult development.
Quote:
Louis Midgley Dr. VelhoBurrinho
16 hours ago edited

It seems that the Little Old Donkey agrees that there was something abnormal and unhealthy about the behavior of that fellow who on Sunday smashed his father's car, inquired himself and destroyed two other cars.

Little Old Donkey claimed that "connecting to some type of higher power is key in healing the individual and reconnecting them to themselves and their communities." It seems that LOD is asserting that "some type of higher power" needs to be part of a person's life to be normal and healthy.

So it seems that the Little Old Donkey should have no objections to what I wrote below. If not, I am not sure what they might be, other than some personal issues he may have with me.

Quote:
Dr. VelhoBurrinho Louis Midgley
14 hours ago edited

LM: “when compared with mess that fellow has made of himself and the lives of his parents. The fact is that if that fellow had been in some congregation worshiping God, this would not have happened...... without faith in God and immortality everything is not only an open option but is permitted and even sometimes encouraged. Something goes wrong when people understand themselves as mere lumps of meat who are mere pleasure seekers. Their own lives and those around them are often made violent, short, and really nasty.”

Dr. Midgley I believe you are missing the point on how a belief in a higher power works in twelve step programs. The idea that worshiping in a church would have avoided this or fixed it is very simplistic thinking.

How the concept of a higher power works is best summed up in the AA book pg. 44-45 where it says :

If a mere code of morals or a better philosophy [such as organized religion] of life were sufficient to overcome alcoholism, many of us would have recovered long ago. But we found that such codes and philosophies did not save us, no matter how much we tried. We could wish to be moral, we could wish to be philosophically comforted, in fact, we could will these things with all our might, but the needed power wasn't there. Our human resources, as marshaled by the will, were not sufficient; they failed utterly.

Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?
Most people can't go through this process without fundamentally changing their understanding God and religion. Atheists or Agnostics lean into something they feel is greater than themselves (which may or may not be a belief in god). Even with people whom believe in God many times their previous understanding and patterns of their belief in and of God that put them in the bad situation they are in. And many many times they completely re arrange their idea of who and what God is.

And yes many who were LDS disaffiliate with the church, but having seen the growth and change in their lives they have truly earned the title of Saint.
Quote:
Louis Midgley Dr. VelhoBurrinho
14 hours ago edited

Dear Little Old Donkey:

I have no objection to what you have quoted from the AA book from pages 44-45. What that very vague language says is that people cannot simply strain harder and an addiction will simple disappear. And I agree that "codes and philosophies" just do not do the job. Christians of most every type and variety do not think that we can just make ourselves whole by our own efforts. A way back we had this Power of Positive Thinking rubbish. It was one more of those "Jesus Saves! Send the Money" rackets. Of course people search for a power "greater than ourselves." So "where and how were we to find this Power?" You neglected to explain exactly how AA manages to do this for addicts. And also what exactly fills the moral empty space or vacuum.

Have you been through some type of 12 step program? Have you had an addiction and found a way to control it? If so, then with what "power" greater than yourself?

This is a long way to indicate that I do not see how you have responded to what I posted. I was not claiming that going to church meeting once a week and being bored for a few hours fixes much of anything.

Quote:
Dr. VelhoBurrinho Louis Midgley
12 hours ago

LM: “This is a long way to indicate that I do not see how you have responded to what I posted. I was not claiming that going to church once a week and being bored for a few hours fixes much of anything.”

Do you remember writing this?

LM: “The fact is that if that fellow had been in some congregation worshiping God, this would not have happened.”

I think you are mistaken thinking that this person had a religious or belief problem, when he had a medical problem.

Now another point of your response you stated:

LM: “Have you been through some type of 12 step program? Have you had an addiction and found a way to control it? If so, then with what "power" greater than yourself?”

I really wouldn't say you asked that out of any concern or charitable feelings. In fact I feel it is quite the opposite. But I will entertain you none the less. I'll let you make of this whatever you will. I guess you will show your character by what you say or do with this.

No I do not have what I would call a classic addiction. I believe mine was more of a work and goal oriented pathology, that was blocking my growth as an individual, and limiting my connection to God. and those around me.

I have lost three cousins (the last one was two days ago), and a grandfather to mental illness and substance abuse. While supporting and helping the brother of one of these individuals, we began to see the patterns that past addictions and traumas can have on families that ripples through latter generations. As part of out grieving. healing, and growing process we studied and individually worked the twelve step programs mostly through Al -Anon. At lest with myself, I find I am more centered, and am a better person.

Since then I have attended different meetings from time to time as a support for someone. On a few instances it has been a patient who opened up about their problem while in clinic for the first time time to another person. I will go as far as picking them up for their first meeting, and attending with them.
Quote:
Louis Midgley Dr. VelhoBurrinho
28 minutes ago

LOD: "I think you are mistaken thinking that this person had a religious or belief problem, when he had a medical problem."

LCM: You could be right. The police raised that very issue, since they are trained to look for such things. So I am not , as you put it, "mistaken."

LOD: "I really wouldn't say you asked that out of any concern or charitable feelings. In fact I feel it is quite the opposite."

LCM: This is Professor Peterson's blog. He is widely known for defending the faith of Latter-day Saints. Dan focuses on providing useful information for faithful Latter-day Saints. Those more or less disaffected from the master narrative that grounds the Church of Jesus Christ turn up venting their dislike for his faith. And also for any faith in God. They mostly hide their identity behind handles. I am not quite sure where you stand. Your answer to a question I asked you helped explain where and why you post as you do.

LOD: "I really wouldn't say you asked that out of any concern or charitable feelings."

LCM: You are wrong about this.


I don’t think he’s wrong. If he was, then midgley would have taken a second to recognize that Dr VelhoBurrinho mentioned losing a cousin two days ago to such a struggle. I don’t post on SeN, so I can’t comment, but my heart goes out to him, and I hope someone can acknowledge his comment and offer some kindness.

Midgley’s unChristlike attitude toward anyone outside his church or who has a different opinion than him is well-established. Midgley is an unkind, mean-spirited bully, and he uses the Mormon church as an excuse to continue behaving this way. His daughter may help him out with his bookkeeping but I would hope she’s not okay with his angry contempt for all those humans he considers less than himself. His name-calling alone (“little old donkey” instead of the commenter’s given avatar name is only one example) would get him thrown out of my University.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 am 
Nursery

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:24 am
Posts: 24
Lemmie wrote:
I don’t think he’s wrong. If he was, then midgley would have taken a second to recognize that Dr VelhoBurrinho mentioned losing a cousin two days ago to such a struggle. I don’t post on SeN, so I can’t comment, but my heart goes out to him, and I hope someone can acknowledge his comment and offer some kindness.

Midgley’s unChristlike attitude toward anyone outside his church or who has a different opinion than him is well-established. Midgley is an unkind, mean-spirited bully, and he uses the Mormon church as an excuse to continue behaving this way. His daughter may help him out with his bookkeeping but I would hope she’s not okay with his angry contempt for all those humans he considers less than himself. His name-calling alone (“little old donkey” instead of the commenter’s given avatar name is only one example) would get him thrown out of my University.

Thanks guys, Midgley is really a sorry excuse for a person much less a “Saint” like he claims to be. The only consolation is soon he will be either blabbering in a nursing home, or passed away. He has been a useful idiot for for past church leadership as a polemic apologist. But even that support is getting thinner and thinner. I have a Sunday dinner with a GA. This certainly will be discussed.

Yes on Thursday morning a cousin of mine was found at home dead. She has had some health problems as well as mental health struggles. Recently I learned how she was molested by her father. And also the multiple times over the past forty years church leaders did nothing when they could have. In addition there are at least five more underage girls who were victimized.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fetchface, Meadowchik and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group