Midgley Admits to Assaulting a Junior High Classmate

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Re: Midgley Admits to Assaulting a Junior High Classmate

Post by _MsJack »

Meadowchik wrote: Holy Moly. I hope the police were involved after that.

They were, but I don't believe she received more than counseling. My parents had a good relationship with her (single) mother and didn't want to press charges. Plus we were leaving the State of Alaska the next day, so the odds of her attacking us again were slim. The whole thing just weirded the cops out, her being so young and female.

I was a bully to a child when I was about age 6 or so. I punched my.5yo neighbor for no reason. I did this at least twice. The last time I did, before I knew it, her father had brought me into their living room, pinned me down, and yelled at me. Scared me right good. I cannot recommend his method but am glad he stopped me from hurting his little girl without further damaging me.

I am a believer that some bullies do change. Some might even change after some "tough love."

But we don't need to be naming them ~74 years after the fact.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

MsJack wrote:I am a believer that some bullies do change. Some might even change after some "tough love."

But we don't need to be naming them ~74 years after the fact.

True, and especially after they're dead and gone and cannot give their side. It seems a callous call-out to me.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

To add context we need to have someone post the Woody vs Jerald Tanner "fight " in the Tanner's bookstore. Did not Jerald kick his ass out the door?

just askin

k
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Doctor Scratch wrote:There is another story he's fond of telling that involved him humiliating someone--a minister, perhaps--during his mission. (He's told the story perhaps a dozen or more times online and on podcasts.) I guess he thinks that his admission of regret/guilt somehow assuages the cruelty at the heart of the story. But, this is really who this guy is. Bullying, trashing others, beating other people down: this is who the Mopologists are, and who've they've always been. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers the rumor about Will Schryver getting into a fistfight and getting one of his teeth knocked out. These are guys who, unsurprisingly, are enamored with both physical and verbal violence.

Here’s how Dr. Peterson told the story in 2008:
I remember being asked, to go down in Zurich. I was in the mission home. Somebody had set up a battle with the Jehovah’s Witnesses. I had the reputation, much to my shame now, I think, of being J the Basher of the Swiss Mission. You know I could be guaranteed to come in and duke it out with them and so these people set this thing up and to their shock and horror, one of the leading Jehovah’s Witnesses in Switzerland was going to come to this apartment, so they were desperate for help and they called me and asked if I would come down. Well, I came down and to be perfectly honest we just mopped the floor with this guy. I mean it was humiliating. I was embarrassed. He wasn’t very good and things just annihilated him, but the longer the evening went on the worse I felt. I did not enjoy this. He didn’t join the church and of course he didn’t join the church. We didn’t do any good. We just humiliated the guy and afterwards I remember saying to these two elders who set this up, “Don’t ever ask me to come to one of these again. I don’t want to do it. I hated it. It was unpleasant. It was useless. Don’t set these up. I don’t want to come. If you set them up you are on your own. I am not going to help you out, you know, don’t call on me. We are trying to win souls, not win arguments, what good did that do? We smashed the guy. It didn’t do any good at all.”

https://www.fairmormon.org/conference/a ... pologetics

And he told it again in 2013:
I’ll tell you a story, I’ve told it before, I think, of something that happened to me in Switzerland. When I was in the mission home and I was called by members of my mission. They had set up an appointment with the Jehovah’s Witness, the leading Jehovah Witness in maybe all of Switzerland, certainly that part of Switzerland. And now they were scared and they wanted me to come and help them. I came down from the mission home. I was up on the hill and they were down in the lowlands, the flat area of Zurich and we had a kind of debate. And, I have to say in all modesty, well maybe it was because he wasn’t so good, not so much that I was really good, it was that he was pretty bad but it was an easy debate. I have to say in retrospect, I think I mopped up the floor with him, but as the evening went on, I felt worse and worse and worse about this. I hated it. I just hated it. It was very unpleasant, it accomplished nothing, and the man never joined the church obviously. I felt I’d had humiliated him. And I remember contacting them and saying don’t you ever, ever invite me back to do something like that again. If you set something up like that, you’re on your own. I’m not coming. The point was that it did no good. It was a nasty evening and it’s lingered on in my memory as a very bad taste in my mouth. It doesn’t do anyone any good. You don’t bludgeon people into the kingdom of God.

https://www.fairmormon.org/conference/a ... pologetics
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

At least DCP learned from the experience and vowed never to repeat it. I myself did plenty of things as a young missionary that I regret, too.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

When I was on my mission I got setup for a Bible bash, i knew I was being setup but I enjoyed that sort of thing and so pretended i had no idea what i was walking into. It was like a dozen against one, since my companion was wise enough to not do that stuff, but I thought I did pretty good since I knew their side of the argument and they weren't sure how to respond to the responses. Most of them were really nice except the leader guy who was a dick and so why feel bad about it? It's more like feeling dumb about it, because it's lame for so many other reasons, especially given some of those people clearly were successful in life and just were above this kind of childish conflict. But anyway, my comp was a really bright guy and was up for the entertainment, but he was pretty analytical about things -- i'd only give it 50% he's active still -- and while he said he thought i did good, he also pointed out that he was sure the others probably thought their guy had won. Just because he got quiet doesn't mean he was dumbfounded, it could also mean he saw the matter as settled or there was no way to get through to somebody so thick-headed. And while the others were really quiet and asked questions very carefully, in retrospect, it probably wasn't because they were intimidated by my knowledge, but as the responsible adults, they could see that I was was a bit wound up and dealt with me as they would a child, not necessarily agreeing the points I was making were good because they saw them as good, but being agreeable to understand why I felt the way I did in more of a parent-child relationship.

If DCP could get a single moment of clarity in his life and consider how it might be that the guy who he thinks he humiliated might have gone away from that thinking that either he won, or that he did pretty good, or that DCP was just a jerk and wouldn't listen to reason, or any of number of things other than that he'd just been wiped over the floor, DCP might be able to understand why he and his gang have proudly left the paper the Dales wrote up on the Interpreter website and continue to boast about it in venues such as LDS Living as a mark of victory.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

MsJack wrote:That's some odd Mopologetic variant of humblebragging right there. We need a word for it. Humbleshaming? Gloryshaming? Shamebragging?

Anyhow, I was able to locate Dale Blunt (who died about 7 years ago) with a simple Google search. There was no need to give this man's real name.

It's amazing to me that, over seven decades later, Louis Midgley still feels the need to name and shame his enemies---even the reformed ones.

Agreed. Someone asked him on SeN why he named the individual. Dr. Midgley responded: “Because my story is in every way true.” What?

I plan to include this anecdote in my forthcoming unauthorized cultural biography of Dr. Midgley (removing the person’s name).
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Tom wrote:Agreed. Someone asked him on SeN why he named the individual. Dr. Midgley responded: “Because my story is in every way true.” What?

"Some things that are true are not very useful." ~ Boyd K. Packer

I plan to include this anecdote in my forthcoming unauthorized cultural biography of Dr. Midgley (removing the person’s name).

That sounds like a fascinating read.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Gadianton wrote:When I was on my mission I got setup for a Bible bash, i knew I was being setup but I enjoyed that sort of thing and so pretended i had no idea what i was walking into. It was like a dozen against one, since my companion was wise enough to not do that stuff, but I thought I did pretty good since I knew their side of the argument and they weren't sure how to respond to the responses. Most of them were really nice except the leader guy who was a dick and so why feel bad about it? It's more like feeling dumb about it, because it's lame for so many other reasons, especially given some of those people clearly were successful in life and just were above this kind of childish conflict. But anyway, my comp was a really bright guy and was up for the entertainment, but he was pretty analytical about things -- i'd only give it 50% he's active still -- and while he said he thought i did good, he also pointed out that he was sure the others probably thought their guy had won. Just because he got quiet doesn't mean he was dumbfounded, it could also mean he saw the matter as settled or there was no way to get through to somebody so thick-headed. And while the others were really quiet and asked questions very carefully, in retrospect, it probably wasn't because they were intimidated by my knowledge, but as the responsible adults, they could see that I was was a bit wound up and dealt with me as they would a child, not necessarily agreeing the points I was making were good because they saw them as good, but being agreeable to understand why I felt the way I did in more of a parent-child relationship.

If DCP could get a single moment of clarity in his life and consider how it might be that the guy who he thinks he humiliated might have gone away from that thinking that either he won, or that he did pretty good, or that DCP was just a jerk and wouldn't listen to reason, or any of number of things other than that he'd just been wiped over the floor, DCP might be able to understand why he and his gang have proudly left the paper the Dales wrote up on the Interpreter website and continue to boast about it in venues such as LDS Living as a mark of victory.

Yes, mature people don't always obey theatrical clichés. It's entirely possible that in his Swiss row, DP was one of the few who evaluated it as a victory, and a majority were observing the forest--his arrogant behaviour--while his attention was on the trees.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Good for him. Stopping a jackass who was tormenting him.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert