Couples can now get married civilly and sealed immediately

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Re: Couples can now get married civilly and sealed immediate

Post by _Sanctorian »

Someone is going to make a handsome profit exploiting this new change in the Utah wedding scene. Monson Wedding Photography, Nelson Wedding Chapel, Uchtdorf Wedding DJs, Oaks Wedding Rentals for all straight couples.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Was there a problem under the old system of couples getting married and then never getting around to going to the temple?
Or was the waiting period seen as a barrier to couples getting married in the first place?
Can members have a civil ceremony in Church without having a temple recommend?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_jfro18
_Emeritus

Post by _jfro18 »

I have a question wrote:Was there a problem under the old system of couples getting married and then never getting around to going to the temple?
Or was the waiting period seen as a barrier to couples getting married in the first place?
Can members have a civil ceremony in Church without having a temple recommend?

I got married in 2001 and we did an outdoor wedding but had the church chapel as our plan B (thankfully we didn't need it).

When we did that wedding I did not have my temple recommend yet since we knew we'd have the 1-year wait (my family was not LDS so I was not having a wedding without them)... so that definitely was not a requirement at least at that time.

I think the waiting period was just an added stress to those who wanted to have a non-temple wedding and it certainly gave an impression of "why aren't they worthy for the temple." In my case I was insistent on not leaving family behind, but I was unaware that others in the church will question if that's *really* the reason or not.