Question for Former Mormons here

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Servant
_Emeritus

Question for Former Mormons here

Post by _Servant »

When you were sitting in the Ward pews on Sunday, going to Priesthood or Relief Society meetings, having Family Home Evenings, and all the rest of it - did it ever bother you that Joseph Smith was a Pedophile? That he married two 14 year old girls. That he married the wives of other men. Or did you "comfort" yourselves by pretending these were all platonic marriages, even though the cult now admits he did have sexual relations with his wives, or at least some of them? Did your conscience ever give you a tingle?
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Question for Former Mormons here

Post by _Shulem »

I'm going to confess and be honest.

I DIDN'T KNOW! I didn't know about Joseph Smith's polygamy until after I left the church. I'm a life long member wherein my family line joined in the early 1830's and were polygamous in Salt Lake. I had heard that Joseph Smith was sealed to multiple women but never did my father tell me about how he had affairs with other women, especially 14 years olds. I doubt he knew too.

We were all lied too. I'm angry about that! And when Shulem gets angry, look out!

:cry:
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

Servant wrote:When you were sitting in the Ward pews on Sunday, going to Priesthood or Relief Society meetings, having Family Home Evenings, and all the rest of it - did it ever bother you that Joseph Smith was a Pedophile? That he married two 14 year old girls. That he married the wives of other men. Or did you "comfort" yourselves by pretending these were all platonic marriages, even though the cult now admits he did have sexual relations with his wives, or at least some of them? Did your conscience ever give you a tingle?

I didn't know. I had heard about Fanny Alger back in the 60s but was told that it was an anti-Mormon lie and to avoid all anti-Mormon books. Same thing with the rock in the hat. So I never researched it beyond what was in lesson manuals, Ensign articles etc. and those church materials never talked about it. The only "comfort" I guess was believing that anything like those claims were just anti-Mormon lies and to ignore them.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

tapirrider wrote:I didn't know.

Bless your heart. Neither did I.

Looking back, I don't think anyone I knew did.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

Shulem wrote:
tapirrider wrote:I didn't know.

Bless your heart. Neither did I.

Looking back, I don't think anyone I knew did.

I remember being told that No Man Knows My History was anti-Mormon and to never read it. The Tanners publishing was called Modern Microfilm and even mentioning them was like taking sides with Satan. The only people I knew that had any clue were people I was told to stay away from. They were not members of the church.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

When I was sitting in the pews, I didn't know about Joseph Smith sleeping with young girls.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I didn’t know he engaged in polyandry and married teen girls either. I found out long after I quit attending.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I didn't know anything about his history until after I left the cult. Luckily, I didn't join any other cults, like, Christianity for example.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

I like many that have posted NEVER heard anything about Horny Holy Joe and his sexual exploits. I remember being taught that he married many women (old and ugly that would never get a man in this life) by proxy after his death and that he was never involved in the acts of polygamy or polyandry.

I was NEVER taught about Horny Holy Joe and his appetite for little girls (and maybe even little boys, who can tell). I was taught about his virtues as a Guardian to twins who's parent died and left him to care for them (just didn't realize what Horny Holy Joe meant by "care for").

No, the Horny Holy Joe of my youth was NOTHING like to real Horny Holy Joe. The real Horny Holy Joe is a damned POS.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Servant wrote:When you were sitting in the Ward pews on Sunday, going to Priesthood or Relief Society meetings, having Family Home Evenings, and all the rest of it - did it ever bother you that Joseph Smith was a Pedophile? That he married two 14 year old girls. That he married the wives of other men. Or did you "comfort" yourselves by pretending these were all platonic marriages, even though the cult now admits he did have sexual relations with his wives, or at least some of them? Did your conscience ever give you a tingle?

Servant wrote:Not at all. I work to inform people about Joseph Smith and his lifestyle. And I'm pretty good at it. That's a big threat to Mormons. The cult stands or falls with him. I detest the fact that the cult tries to undermine the Christian missionaries in Africa for instance where I have had family members doing missionary work. The Mormons come in and spread doubt and draw away the uninformed. You can call it whatever you want to krose. You have a right to your opinion, but not your own facts.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=1176463

If you're "pretty good at it", then why don't you know the answer to those questions?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb