LDS businessman's city for 1,000,000 people in Vermont

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Mormon 8
Nursery

LDS businessman's city for 1,000,000 people in Vermont

Post by Mormon 8 »

First it was a 500,000 person metropolis in Florida but apparently, they wanna build a city in Vermont too that accommodates a million people. The 'church' denies any involvement and allegedly opposes this.

Uh huh.

I don't know why they don't just quit pretending to be a religion and just convert to a bonafide for-profit real estate corporation??? I mean, it's not like they can't afford to pay taxes when one account from one business entity has $124 billion sitting around. Just come clean with who Joseph Smith really was and drop the religion label already!

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... ty-vermont

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... in-florida

slskipper
Sunbeam

Re: LDS businessman's city for 1,000,000 people in Vermont

Post by slskipper »

Just so we're clear, the actual LDS church is not a part of this. It is entirely a private enterprise. Or am I mistaken?

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

slskipper wrote:Just so we're clear, the actual LDS church is not a part of this. It is entirely a private enterprise. Or am I mistaken?

According to the article, you are correct.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Pretty sure this project has been abandoned.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace