The official, faithful fiction Book of Mormon Watchdog thread

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: The official, faithful fiction Book of Mormon Watchdog thread

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:Hey, Lemmie:

LM is an extremist. It is his way to promote those kind of harsh, unkind views. I think in those outbursts he is best ignored. He does not represent the LDS Church or Christianity in saying such things. Instead, he is lashing out from his long, belligerent history of polemics and apologetics, which really have no place in the kind of conversation that would promote the nobler ideal of keeping the family together. Since the family is, according to LDS theology, a divine institution and the bedrock of civilization, we can justifiably privilege keeping the family together as opposed to nursing the venomous and divisive spirit of the self-appointed faith warriors like LM.

Well, if he's an extremist he's in good company. A LOT of cojcolds (the j is silent) share his sentiments, so I would assert his form of extremism is rather pedestrian in Mormon communities. My parents alienated all of their children due to their lack of religious devotion. Heck, my mother died estranged from 3 of her 4 children, her own children (!), because of this 'extremist' view that we ought to have been faithfully practicing Mormons. That fact that I can offer up dozens of examples just underscores that the Midge's views on religion are more the norm rather than the fringe within Mormondumb.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: The official, faithful fiction Book of Mormon Watchdog t

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Moore wrote:I'm surprised Dr. Peterson would allow such a reference to stay on his blog.

Are you, though? Really? He's going on, what, four decades of being an asshole so is it so surprising? Really? C'mon.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Well, if he's an extremist he's in good company. A LOT of cojcolds (the j is silent) share his sentiments, so I would assert his form of extremism is rather pedestrian in Mormon communities. My parents alienated all of their children due to their lack of religious devotion. Heck, my mother died estranged from 3 of her 4 children, her own children (!), because of this 'extremist' view that we ought to have been faithfully practicing Mormons. That fact that I can offer up dozens of examples just underscores that the Midge's views on religion are more the norm rather than the fringe within Mormondumb.

I am sorry to hear it. I have not seen that so much in my little corner of the world, but I am probably lucky and/or unaware. My understanding is that there are many prominent LDS people, among them the big scholars, who have wayward children. I don't know of too many of them who have been shunned. These people are, at least nominally, in LM's peer group. Who am I going to choose as a model for sound LDS behavior, LM or these other, much more moderate exemplars? The latter, of course.

As I said, LM is an extremist. He and other like him have promoted and cultivated a tradition of such extremism among others. It is wrong, and it should be expunged from LDS culture and practice.
“God came to me in a dream last night and showed me the future. He took me to heaven and I saw Donald Trump seated at the right hand of our Lord.” ~ Pat Robertson
“He says he has eyes to see things that are not . . . and that the angel of the Lord . . . has put him in possession of great wealth, gold, silver, precious stones.” ~ Jesse Smith

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

grindael wrote:Ever since I read this testimony from the 1826 Examination, I knew there was smoking gun evidence that the Book of Mormon story was a fraud. Here is Smith's father, in March, 1826 claiming that he and his son:

“were mortified that this wonderful [seeric] power which God had so miraculously given to the boy should be used only in search of filthy lucre, or its equivalent in earthly treasures.” Joseph Smith Sr “trusted that the Son of Righteousness would some day illumine the heart of the boy and enable him to see his will concerning him.”

This was the guy who supposedly heard "the boy" tell him in a field the night after a visit from an angel of God that he had a vision the night before and that he had to go to the hill and get the gold plates.

How in the world could Smith Sr. then be testifying THREE YEARS LATER that he hoped that SOMEDAY God would illumine the boy's heart and enable him to see his will?

There was no angel in 1823-4, it was a ghost. There was no first or second religious vision, there was only ghost stories.

We have the Glass Looker document. We have the trial minutes. The Book of Mormon is a fraud.

Because no one ever made an emotional rhetorical plea in a trial to get their child out of trouble.
“God came to me in a dream last night and showed me the future. He took me to heaven and I saw Donald Trump seated at the right hand of our Lord.” ~ Pat Robertson
“He says he has eyes to see things that are not . . . and that the angel of the Lord . . . has put him in possession of great wealth, gold, silver, precious stones.” ~ Jesse Smith