Eternal Marriage and death.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Eternal Marriage and death.

Post by _Fence Sitter »

This weekend I went to the funeral for the mother of a friend with whom I grew up. Some back ground. My friend's father passed away when it was he was in his early 40's. His mom, the deceased, went on to remarry. She found a LDS man who was a widow, and a father of 10 children. She spent the majority of her life raising his biological children, and married to him, her second husband, who is still living. He spoke at the funeral and gave a great eulogy for his late second wife. Several of his children by his first wife, who had died in her 30's of cancer, but who had been raised by his second wife, my friend's mom the desceased, also spoke. It was very clear these children considered the deceased as their mother.

So what do we have here in Mormon theology? Well, this man who has survived the death of two of his wives can now look forward to the fact that his second wife, the one to whom he was married for about 30 years, much longer then his first wife, is now back with her first husband to whom she is sealed. A man she spent less time with is now her eternal husband and the living guy no longer is her husband. In addition, his kids, the ones who considered her their mother, know that she is no longer their mom and that in the next life their biological mother will be their mom.

What a great system this is where upon death, the living husband knows he is no longer the husband of the wife he just lost and the kids she raised know that she is no longer their mom.

Families are Forever or at least until someone dies.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Amore
_Emeritus

Re: Eternal Marriage and death.

Post by _Amore »

Plato’s allegory of the cave...
http://www.philosophyzer.com/the-allego ... d-meaning/

Especially when it comes to death and afterlife, who knows? Near Death Experiences and intuition suggest that since the kingdom of God is within us each - who we relate with depends on genuine desire. No faking it.