2nd Anointing By Proxy & Other Tidbits.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

2nd Anointing By Proxy & Other Tidbits.

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I recently learned a few things regarding the 2nd anointing that were interesting.

First is that at one time the 2nd anointing ordinance was being done by proxy for dead people. This is quite amazing if you think about it. It places it at the same level of other temple and baptismal ordinances that are required to be done here on earth for every single person. Is this another ordinance that will be required to be offered here on earth to everyone that ever lived via proxy work?

Secondly is that it is a two stage event in which the first stage is performed at the temple and the second part at home. From what I understand that second part at home really reinforces the idea that women can only be exalted through their husbands. So much for the recent changes in the temple which try to place them on equal level.

And lastly, the process by which some members are choosen is when an apostle(maybe even a 70) visits a stake they quietly inquire if there are any long term faithful members whom the stake president would reccommend to be eligible for such a ordinance. These special members receive a letter from the first presidency informing them that they have been selected, asking them to show up at their temple on a Sunday and to not tell anyone else, even their close family members, what they are doing and why they are going to the temple on Sunday.

We really are a strange people.

Interesting stuff.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Tator
_Emeritus

Re: 2nd Anointing By Proxy & Other Tidbits.

Post by _Tator »

I am sure that second annointing "worthiness" is tied very close to tithing "worthiness" which is very close to the practice of "selling of indulgences", in my opinion.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Tator wrote:I am sure that second annointing "worthiness" is tied very close to tithing "worthiness" which is very close to the practice of "selling of indulgences", in my opinion.

I have heard rumors in the past that the method for choosing the stake president was for the apostle to ask to interview the top tithing contributors in the stake and to choose from those men. As far as how the stake president would choose from his own stake, I have no idea, but certainly being a long time full tithe payer would be a consideration.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

As Joseph Smith got older and into more trouble with the law, he loved secrecy more and more and created many secret organizations among his followers like the quorum of the anointed and the counsel of 50, etc. This is more of the same.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Exiled wrote:As Joseph Smith got older and into more trouble with the law, he loved secrecy more and more and created many secret organizations among his followers like the quorum of the anointed and the counsel of 50, etc. This is more of the same.

At a meeting of the Nauvoo Relief Society, Emma read an article sent to the Relief Society by the Nauvoo City Council warning the sisters against "unprincipled men" who might try to deceive them. "We do not mention their names, not knowing but what there may be some among you who are not sufficiently skill'd in Masonry as to keep a secret."

Supposedly one of the reasons that women were not allowed to join Masonic lodges was they had difficulty keeping secrets.