Peterson is Introducing John Gee's Book on Abraham Again

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Peterson is Introducing John Gee's Book on Abraham Again

Post by _Shulem »

Fence Sitter wrote:There is nothing new in this book that Gee et al haven't said before.

I can believe that. It's just a way for him to make a few bucks on the side and ensure that he keeps his job at BYU.

Fence Sitter wrote: His basic argument is that after the Hor scroll was cut up into sheets there are still contemporary witness accounts of a "long scroll" that is now missing. A scroll which Gee suggests was the source of the Book of Abraham.

His basic argument is fundamentally flawed. You'd think the man would have enough intelligence to understand that but unfortunately the brainwashing caused by Mormonism keeps him dumb.

Fence Sitter wrote:He also is arguing that there is a missing original Book of Abraham translation manuscript from which all other translation manuscripts were copied that predated the Egyptian Grammar documents and blames Phelps for the creating the latter.

He's arguing that from a dreamy state of view as if he's sleeping and fantasying on what he really wants. He's not grounded in reality. He's lost in his own apologetic dream.

Fence Sitter wrote:The bulk of the book is spent in parallelamania trying to show any and all connections possible from the Book of Abraham to apocryphal and Biblical sources that date to at least a 1000 years after the mythical patriarch. Nibley would have been proud.

Parallelamania is simply his way to avoid logic based on facts leading to the obvious conclusion that Joseph Smith made it all up. Most people use tools of logic rather than fantasy. Isn't he supposed to be a school teacher? A teacher of what? Fantasy?

Fence Sitter wrote:I don't think Dr Peterson's latest blog is promoting Gee's book so much as it is trying to convince the faithful that somewhere a really smart guy with a PhD. has answered all the questions about the Book of Abraham and all is well in Zion.

Both Peterson and Gee are simply dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb. And the dumb follow the dumb.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:And I think it is because non one bothered reading it or wasting their money on it the first time, so repeats of uluations is probably helpful to sagging and failed sales. Did anyone here buy it and read it? I never did. I probably never will. My money is buying valuable chess books these days. At least I know the information in them is USEFUL and ACCURATE

:exclaim:

Peterson, Daniel C wrote:This is an admirable book. For any who are interested in deepening their knowledge about the historical background of the Book of Abraham, Gee’s new “Introduction” is indispensable.

Do you hear that, Kerry? Calling Kerry! Come in Kerry!

Anyone who wants deeper knowledge on this subject should buy this book -- it's indispensable! That means you have to fork over the money or you'll just not know what's going on with the Book of Abraham. You have to keep up with current scholarship, buddy. You're way behind and Dr. Gee will set you right.

:lol:
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

moksha wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:My money is buying valuable chess books these days. At least I know the information in them is USEFUL and ACCURATE

Interesting idea, that way you can get chess books and still exclaim, "High Priest to King-of-the-Earth, checkmate!"

What's new with your Backyard Professor video series?

I've started a new series on end game studies. I also have more and more of my study and training games. Since I came back in November I have had over 5,000 new subscribers, so it is gently growing. The interest is there, but I sorely am working on seriously improving my playing strength. I rather suck at it, but apparently they all love how I teach what little I know, so I keep videoing. It is a blast!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Suppose the brethren came to the apologists and told them they will be using this book by Gee for the next round of gospel doctrine in wards and branches around the world, and that an entire year would be spent on it to make sure the teacher has time to cover the material thoroughly. Would the apologists anticipate an aggregate increase or decrease in faith?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Gadianton wrote:Suppose the brethren came to the apologists and told them they will be using this book by Gee for the next round of gospel doctrine in wards and branches around the world, and that an entire year would be spent on it to make sure the teacher has time to cover the material thoroughly. Would the apologists anticipate an aggregate increase or decrease in faith?

It's a lose, lose scenario, no matter how you go.