"Hypersexualized" President Nelson parody Twitter account

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

"Hypersexualized" President Nelson parody Twitter account

Post by _I have a question »

In January of 2018, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints elected a new president, a stern looking 94-year-old named Russell M. Nelson. Not long after he took office, a Twitter account with the handle @LostMormon outfitted their profile to look exactly like Nelson’s––matching his photo, banner and display name––and started tweeting in a style similar to the new president, but with a few key differences. In response to a high ranking Mormon official, for example, the impersonator noted that Nelson’s wife “gives damned good blow jobs when she concentrates.”

The likelihood of anyone mistaking the two accounts was slim. Like most public figures, the Mormon president has a verified Twitter account and a substantial pool of followers, hovering just under 150,000; his impersonator, by contrast, is unverified with an audience of just over a thousand. But when a blogger found the parody account last week, it riled up parts of the Mormon internet, and spawned an effort to get @LostMormon banned.

Mormon Blogger Christopher Cunningham wrote a Jan. 10 article for Patheos called, “Twitter Fails to Ban Hypersexualized President Nelson Impersonator.” Cunningham was alarmed by the sexual content of the copycat tweets, and argued that the account was deliberately deceptive. “For someone who is just looking into the church and may not be as savvy on Twitter,” Cunningham wrote, “this could create genuine confusion.” Readers chimed in to agree. “Let’s be clear: it was not a mistake,” commenter Kiwi57 wrote. “The miscreant did it intentionally. He/she/it was lying in wait to deceive.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-hyper ... es&via=rss

Unwittingly, they opened the door for further explanation about the account.

O’Conner wasn’t born in the Mormon Church. He joined at age 14 when a group of missionaries rang the doorbell of his family home in Paducah, Kentucky, and told him the story of another 14-year-old, the young Mormon prophet Joseph Smith, who supposedly spoke to God at a young age. O’Conner converted on the spot. “Like the big-mouthed bass, I took it hook, line, and sinker,” he said. “I ran with it.”

“I made a Twitter account in 2010 or 2011, when I was beginning to question things,” O’Conner said. “I called it Lost Mormon, because I was a Mormon who was lost in this sea of information. I truly was a person who was lost, who was confused. I used the account as a way to ask questions anonymously.”

One of his primary concerns, he said, was the LDS’ treatment of sexuality. As his kids got older, they began having bishop interviews themselves, and he tried to intervene. “I walked in there and I had to threaten legal and physical force,” he said, “I told him that if he talked to my children again I would report him as a pedophile. He did it anyways––it’s institutionalized.”

So last year, after Nelson was named president, he decided to make his Twitter pointed. The imposter account, he said, is a small, weird, silly kind of protest. And he doesn’t plan to let up: “The intention from now on––Church presidents don’t change quickly––my intention is to take on the persona of each president until I die.”
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')