Rome Temple

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Rome Temple

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Here are some fun comments from the Trib's comments section:

Amazing that they have made a spot in Rome look just like Thanksgiving Point

The opulence is amazing, isn't it? During an open house for a temple they usually have a sign as people enter saying they spare no expense for the Lord. "The Lord" pretty much owns the universe but these people think He needs and wants all these baubles.

Way back when they built the Mt. Timpanogos (American Fork) temple, a fellow who was involved said the celestial room chandelier cost $60,000. I'm sure Jesus couldn't think of a better use for $60,000.

Beautiful ! I wonder where is the espresso machines ?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Kishkumen wrote:So many of these remind me of Superman’s Fortress of Solitude.

This one is no exception.

Rome is a world stage which Manti Utah is not. That is an obvious reason to spend more money there.

To my eye the temple in neither escapes the quality that Kishkumen has described.

Catholic expenditures on churches can be over the top yet a number of them are cultural treasures beloved by people. The Vatican contains the Sistine Chapel. I am glad the art therein exists for all of us. Taos New Mexico has a Catholic church of some renown. I enjoy its art as well. (even if not of the quality of Michelangelo)
I found it notable that I could walk up to its door on a weekday afternoon, open it, walkin and sit down. a person could pray, or contemplate or rest and look. Nobody asks why you are there.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

It's a Me Too. Mormon vanity can't allow the Bishop of Rome to go unchallenged. :razz: We have Gods in Embryo, they only have Vicars of Christ. We win!
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

meh.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

huckelberry wrote:Rome is a world stage which Manti Utah is not. That is an obvious reason to spend more money there.

To my eye the temple in neither escapes the quality that Kishkumen has described.

Catholic expenditures on churches can be over the top yet a number of them are cultural treasures beloved by people. The Vatican contains the Sistine Chapel. I am glad the art therein exists for all of us. Taos New Mexico has a Catholic church of some renown. I enjoy its art as well. (even if not of the quality of Michelangelo)
I found it notable that I could walk up to its door on a weekday afternoon, open it, walkin and sit down. a person could pray, or contemplate or rest and look. Nobody asks why you are there.

I like being able to enter Cathedrals as well. And they are so old that they can have tremendous historical significance. It's a huge work, however, keeping these giant relics standing and in good condition. There are several large old churches here, and many of them advertise as community centers and cafes. There's even one that has been completely been transformed into a rock climbing center. In another city, I've seen one converted into a community library. I think it is valuable if these structures can be preserved as much as possible, even if that means re-purposing them.

On that note, I've wondered what will be done with LDS temples that have ceased being used or supported by the church?
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

oliblish wrote:This is just an LDS tourist trap. I have already seen ads for travel packages to the new temple on Facebook. Someone at my work is planning a trip there this summer...

With only one endowment room that accommodates only up to eighty, this seems accurate. The Swiss temple, by contrast, has four endowment rooms each with a capacity of 120.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I have a question wrote:Compare and contrast with the Puerto Rico Temple, which will service a similar amount of membership 23,000.

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/ ... co-temple/

Much smaller.
Much less ornate.
Much lower cost.

Why does Jesus want a significantly bigger and massively more expensive house in Italy? The ordinances are exactly the same, the volumes of traffic will be the same etc.

That is probably the saddest looking temple I have ever seen.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Puerto Rico gets a dressed up ward house. Rome gets 200 million.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

SteelHead wrote:Puerto Rico gets a dressed up ward house. Rome gets 200 million.

Jesus gotta keep up appearances, just not in Puerto Rico where there's a chance it'll get blown away in an earthquake or typhoon or some other God-sent test that the Puerto Ricans needed for some reason. The Rome temple is simply an overpriced glossy brochure, If Jesus really is a Mormon he's getting chapped cheeks from facepalming so often...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')