The Sophist Is Here!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

The Sophist Is Here!

Post by _Kishkumen »

DCP is an expert at denying the accusation that was never made.

DCP
“My critics are saying that the Church is providing all of the necessary funds to run the Interpreter! Gee wiz I’d love not to have to do any fundraising!”

Critics
“Hey, Midgley just said the Church disburses funds to three apologetic organizations!”

Can you detect the difference?

DCP
“My critics are saying Terryl Givens is my enemy! I’m his friend!”

Critics
“DCP is competing with Givens. The Interpreter has published criticisms of Givens’ work.”

An opponent is not necessarily an enemy. A criticism can be motivated by competitive feelings.

DCP
“I’ve never thought of myself as a fundamentalist literalist.”

Critics
“Old style apologetics tended to promote fundamentalist literalist views.”

This is a favorite tactic of DCP: misrepresenting a criticism of a style of apologetics as a personal criticism of him—purposely, no doubt.

DCP
“Moreover, we’re said to see ourselves as competing with the Maxwell Institute. This is also simply false. I wish it were true, but it isn’t.”

Critics
Seriously? Note that Elder Holland went to give a talk at the MI, and DCP is falling all over himself to publish a piece on Interpreter that amounts to, “Looky over here, Brethren! We’ve always agreed with you and are happily following your direction already! (Not like those MI guys who need to be told how to act.)”

DCP
“Have I continually harped on either of those subjects privately, let alone publicly? No, I have not. I have, as the saying goes, moved on.”

Critics
LOL!

Having followed this guy’s blog, we can confidently say that DCP has been gnawing this bone for a very, very long time, and he never let it go.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: The Sophist Is Here!

Post by _consiglieri »

DCP

"There has been no suppression with regard to the First Vision accounts."

Critic

"Actually, there has been suppression, and it is disingenuous to say otherwise."

DCP

"I am not disingenuous."

Critic

"Then why did you say there has been no suppression?"

DCP

"I'll answer that when I feel like it."
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

One of the reasons he almost never actually quotes his "critics" nor specifically names who he is talking about is plausible deniability about who and what he is responding to.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

good points Rev. How about Doctor Scratch named the "Mormon Interpreter".

lol.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

This is a favorite tactic of DCP: misrepresenting a criticism of a style of apologetics as a personal criticism of him

Everything with him is a personal slight.

Back when we had our blow-out over Pahoran's FARMS review of J. P. Holding's book, you'll recall that the whole thing started when I criticized Pahoran's review on this forum. I'd had no idea to what extent Dan was connected with the review; he was not remotely on my mind when I made the comments I did.

So you can imagine my surprise when Dan's version of events started with, "She insulted a review I had edited and therefore attacked me intentionally and personally." (Paraphrase)

I hadn't know Dan had edited that volume of FARMS, and even if I had, I didn't think editors were accustomed to taking personal responsibility for every article they edit. My advisor's wife at TEDS edited the Trinity Journal for years and I can't imagine her taking it personally because I thought the Trinitarian subordinationism articles were heresy.

Just bizarre.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

MsJack wrote:Everything with him is a personal slight.

Back when we had our blow-out over Pahoran's FARMS review of J. P. Holding's book, you'll recall that the whole thing started when I criticized Pahoran's review on this forum. I'd had no idea to what extent Dan was connected with the review; he was not remotely on my mind when I made the comments I did.

So you can imagine my surprise when Dan's version of events started with, "She insulted a review I had edited and therefore attacked me intentionally and personally." (Paraphrase)

I hadn't know Dan had edited that volume of FARMS, and even if I had, I didn't think editors were accustomed to taking personal responsibility for every article they edit. My advisor's wife at TEDS edited the Trinity Journal for years and I can't imagine her taking it personally because I thought the Trinitarian subordinationism articles were heresy.

Just bizarre.

You don’t want to accuse another person of narcissistic tendencies, but some people make it difficult not to. I would say he selectively takes these things personally. There are some things he is responsible for that he takes no credit for at all. It just depends. It’s probably a tactic.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

"Can't prove something then prove something else and pretend they are the same."
-- How to Lie with Statistics and Apologetics, Reformed Edition
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace