Scott Lloyd explains what scripture is...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Scott Lloyd explains what scripture is...

Post by _I have a question »

Scripture means whatever prophets and apostles, acting in their authority and under divine inspiration, say it means.

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/713 ... ng/?page=3

He's wrong.
“Only the President of the Church … has the right to receive revelations for the Church, either new or amendatory, or to give authoritative interpretations of scriptures that shall be binding on the Church, or change in any way the existing doctrines of the Church. He is God’s sole mouthpiece on earth” (“When Are the Writings,” 12).

https://www.lds.org/manual/scripture-st ... 1?lang=eng

“How do we measure whether or not one’s teachings are true or false? If anyone teaches beyond what the scriptures teach, we may put it down as speculation except one man who has the right to bring forth any new doctrine—that is the one man who holds the keys—the prophet, seer, and revelator who presides in that high place. And no one else. If anyone presumes to bring forth what he claims to be new doctrine you may know that it is purely his own opinion and you label it as such regardless of his position in the Church. If it contradicts something that is in the scriptures, you may label it immediately that it is false. That is why we call the scriptures our four Standard Church Works. They are the standards by which we measure all doctrine and if anything is taught which is contrary to that which is in the scriptures, it is false. It is just that simple” (“Viewpoint of a Giant,” 6).

I hope Scott will repent and correct his false teaching.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Re: Scott Lloyd explains what scripture is...

Post by _SuperDell »

To be interpreted as "listen to me because I'm telling you I'm IMPORTANT, dammit".
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert