Is tithing paid in Africa paying for BYU stadium improvement

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Re: Is tithing paid in Africa paying for BYU stadium improve

Post by _CameronMO »

I have a question wrote:
6EQUJ5 wrote:For someone who likes to take a dump on Mormons every single day, you sure don't know much about how the Church or BYU work, do you?

The answer is no. Tithing money is not used to fund the BYU football program. While not a top-tier program, BYU is considered a solid spoiler (see Wisconsin earlier this year) with a very large geographically dispersed fan base that travels well. The program generates millions of dollars and pays for itself. In fact, it funds many of the other sports programs at BYU that do not generate any revenue of note. And of course, this is not to mention the many thousands of donors to the program. Remember the upgrades to Cougar Stadium 15+ years ago? The new football facility on campus? Of course not. Because you are too lazy to spend two minutes googling so you can post your "hot takes" which show you lack any genuine intellectual curiosity. You are just another ____ ____.

So again, no. Tithing is not used to fund BYU football.

Thanks for replying to the question I posed in the OP. I'm not seeing any links to references supporting your opinion (which, apparently, should only take you a couple of minutes to find) - do you have any?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/705 ... -cost.html
That article is from 2011. I'm not sure what BYU Football makes now with the TV contracts.
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

Jason Bourne wrote:This change was one the the primary reasons I reduced my donations to the LDS Church and have started supporting other worthy causes. I still give a lot to fast offering, but my tithing number has now dwindled to nothing.I have no desire to support the operations of the LDS Church any longer. But having been a bishop I know the fast offering donations are used on a local level for food, rent, heat, etc for those who cannot afford it.

I thought that changed? Honestly curious here, but when I was in bishoprics, all money went to SLC first. None of it stayed local. Our fast offering budget was based off of what we spent last year, not what was brought it. Then SLC would disburse funds from fast offerings as we needed it, and we had to be careful of not going over budget. Also, the tithing slip says SLC can do whatever it wants with the money, no matter which category you put it in.

Has that changed?
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Deleted
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_oliblish
_Emeritus

Post by _oliblish »

I thought that Canadians paid for BYU.
_6EQUJ5
_Emeritus

Post by _6EQUJ5 »

Lemmie wrote:But you're right, if someone spent 2 minutes googling, they could probably find out more. I only googled for about 15 seconds.

Hey look everyone! Lemmie is talking out of her ass again.

Again, and let me emphasize that there is NO question about it, tithing money is not spent on BYU football. Period.

Doesn't it get exhausting when you know absolutely nothing about what you are talking about and yet feel obligated to comment? Like in this case, you literally know nothing.
_6EQUJ5
_Emeritus

Post by _6EQUJ5 »

Jersey Girl wrote:
6EQUJ5 wrote: You are just another ____ ____.

Oh no. You're seriously attempting to deploy a profanity string insult using alliteration of the beginning consonant blend? Say that out loud. See how clumsy that is?

Don't do that where I can see it.

:)

Don't critique what I call the "Neal A. Maxwell" insult method.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

6EQUJ5 wrote:
Lemmie wrote:But you're right, if someone spent 2 minutes googling, they could probably find out more. I only googled for about 15 seconds.

Hey look everyone! Lemmie is talking out of her ass again.

Again, and let me emphasize that there is NO question about it, tithing money is not spent on BYU football. Period.

Doesn't it get exhausting when you know absolutely nothing about what you are talking about and yet feel obligated to comment? Like in this case, you literally know nothing.

Still no links or references to support your opinion?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:
equj5 wrote:[No factual statements]

Still no links or references to support your opinion?

Apparently not. :rolleyes:

Re your OP question about capital funding at byu, I found this statement about changes, starting this year, to be interesting:
But that changes at the end of this year. Existing endowments will remain, but colleges and departments will no longer approach potential donors, and donors wanting to contribute to the university likely will be steered directly to student programs instead of building projects and infrastructure.

Funding conduits will be more direct between the university and its sponsor, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Does SLC want more control over the donors' contributions? It sounds like they want any money donated to any church owned property to now go through church headquarters. Why the change?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Lemmie wrote:Re your OP question about capital funding at BYU, I found this statement about changes, starting this year, to be interesting:
But that changes at the end of this year. Existing endowments will remain, but colleges and departments will no longer approach potential donors, and donors wanting to contribute to the university likely will be steered directly to student programs instead of building projects and infrastructure.

Funding conduits will be more direct between the university and its sponsor, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Does Salt Lake City want more control over the donors' contributions? It sounds like they want any money donated to any church owned property to now go through church headquarters. Why the change?

Well, a few years back the Church changed the donation slips used by members to add the disclaimer that, regardless of what you were donating the funds for, the Church retains the right to spend it on something else. So you could make a donation for the Missionary Fund and the Church would be within its rights to spend that on redecoration of the Presidents Penthouse Apartment in SLC.

It may be that they've extended that modus operandi to donations being made directly to BYU. The change is certainly the hallmark of an organisation hell bent on controlling ALL the money it can get its hands on. But that's just speculation based on extrapolating what the Church has done previously.
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

I for one am thankful that the Lord's university is willing to improve the stadium experience using funds from members. Some would say that the Lord wouldn't want to use Church funds for something as trivial as college football. Some would even say that since the Lord is all-knowing that he could've foreseen the CTE issues and maybe not want his servants on the football field. I happen to have a sister-in-law that had a fiancé that played football at BYU and he died young due to head injuries, but the Lord would call that an isolated incident. Either way, I am thankful the Lord's anointed have directed funds to malls, stadiums, hunting preserves, apartments, leasing to businesses that serve alcohol (even on Sundays), heated parking spaces for the 12 apostles, massive marketing for the book sales of the Lord's anointed, and so many other cool and valiant things. Just something to ponderize. In the name of Jesus even the Christ amens.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong