Givenses and Peck at MI?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Givenses and Peck at MI?

Post by _Maksutov »

https://mi.byu.edu/new-2019-disciple-sc ... nHX6u65mEo

The Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship announces exciting additions to its faculty in 2019 with the appointments of Terryl L. Givens, Fiona Givens, and Steven L. Peck.

Each scholar joins the Brigham Young University research institute that Elder Jeffrey R. Holland recently described as a “rarefied training ground where gospel athletes stretch their abilities to speak in grace and truth to all of our Father’s children.”1

Terryl Givens is departing from his chair at the University of Richmond to become a permanent Neal A. Maxwell Senior Research Fellow in June. Givens said his past experience as a visiting fellow sparked his interest in associating with the Institute full time. “I’m joining a first-class group of disciple scholars,” he said. “The Institute has never been in a better position to succeed in their dual commission to strengthen the Saints and to enhance the quality of the conversation academics are having about our faith tradition. I look forward to being a part of both efforts.”

Fiona Givens joins the Institute in June as a research fellow, having spent time at the Institute during the summer of 2018 as a research grant recipient. “I was introduced to the collegial environment that defines the Maxwell Institute last summer and I am very much looking forward to working with fellow scholars who share similar research interests,” she said. “I feel it a privilege to be working alongside Institute scholars who emphasize both academic rigor and service to Latter-day Saints and the broader community.”

Fiona Givens graduated from the University of Richmond with degrees in French and German and received a master’s degree in European History. She is co-author of a number of books for Latter-day Saints, including The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life, The Crucible of Doubt: Reflections on the Quest for Faith, and most recently, The Christ Who Heals: How God Restored the Truth That Saves Us.

Steven L. Peck joins the Institute as a visiting fellow during the spring and summer terms, 2019-2021, alternating with his position as associate professor of biology in BYU’s College of Life Sciences. Along with Terryl Givens, Peck co-directed the 2018 Summer Seminar at the Institute. He is also author of one of the Institute’s Living Faith books, Evolving Faith: Wanderings of a Mormon Biologist.

Peck said he wants his work to exemplify how science and religion can be engaged productively. “I’m excited because working at the Institute gives me a chance to open more conversations about science and religion,” Peck said, “affording me the opportunity to share ideas with other scientists and people of faith alike.”
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Givenses and Peck at MI?

Post by _Maksutov »

So does this represent a turn toward a more romantic, idealized, literary view of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saintsism?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Maksutov wrote:So does this represent a turn toward a more romantic, idealized, literary view of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saintsism?

I hope so!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Somehow I don't see this as a win for Woody, Dan & Co. Am I wrong?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Maksutov wrote:Somehow I don't see this as a win for Woody, Dan & Co. Am I wrong?

It really isn't a clear win. Solomon has spared the baby, true, but the tension between the two sides remains. DCP and his allies have pushed their fundamentalist agenda against the wishy-washy cultural richness advocacy for the faith, and we see this repeated back to DCP in the comments on the newest developments. At the same time, DCP reassures everyone that he has always been a friend of Givens. OK, sure. But this friendship, which I do not doubt, is not a seamless accord on how one should defend and promote the faith. TG has just become the single most visible figure in LDS apologetics. These guys have egos and they have fan clubs. I anticipate a continued simmering of tension between these approaches.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Seems like the new objective given to the Maxwell Institute to stem the flow of outmigration from the Church could be enhanced by emphasizing the role of the Church to add something positive to humanity. Hope that objective is not undermined by opposing political forces stirring up the General Authorities into further undermining this positive image.

This new objective can only be accomplished through the rank and file without hindrance from the leadership. Let the prejudices and hatred of the older generation die out and replace it with something to make younger Mormons proud to be associated with. Short of that, this new objective given to the MI cannot be accomplished.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

To get Givens to come to the NAMI will be seen as raising a scholarly but feather brand of apologetics. Having read some of TG's Mormon apologetic writings, he can point out a major issue like the multiple FV accounts but like Richard Bushman (not Rosebud) come out with a soft apologetic and tell the reader it is OK to have questions/doubts but let faith prevail. He implies that doubting members should build their shelves long and titanium strong, because no apologetic, from him or even the FARMERS will give them evidence to remove the issue from the shelf.

TG and FG could not keep their own children in the church so what success will they have at the NAMI?

Time will tell!

k
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Maksutov wrote:So does this represent a turn toward a more romantic, idealized, literary view of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saintsism?

To me it looks like an attempt to put lipstick on the apologetic pig.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_JP
_Emeritus

Post by _JP »

kairos wrote:
TG and FG could not keep their own children in the church so what success will they have at the NAMI?

Not only is this factually untrue, it's some pretty asinine logic.