Radio Free Mormon Book Of Abraham Podcasts

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_kjones
_Emeritus

Re: Radio Free Mormon Book Of Abraham Podcasts

Post by _kjones »

Podcasts? Polemics by non-experts. Consig is an attorney, and Bill Reel? I guess Bill has a high school diploma — but he has "read everything!"

Nothing is easier than to be a critic, to mock and poke fun at. Consig and Bill R are very good at this. They put out a lot of heat — but very little light.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

kjones wrote:Podcasts? Polemics by non-experts. Consig is an attorney, and Bill Reel? I guess Bill has a high school diploma — but he has "read everything!"

Nothing is easier than to be a critic, to mock and poke fun at. Consig and Bill R are very good at this. They put out a lot of heat — but very little light.

Since you're so damn smart and know so much about the subject how about you critique the podcasts and tell us what's wrong? Have you ever considered that it's entirely possible to poke fun and mock something and be entirely accurate at the same time? Have you?

I found the podcasts to be informative and accurate. And I'm familiar with the subject material having studied it for many years.

:twisted:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:One of the things we tried hard to do in the podcast was to eschew this kind of apologetic pseudo-scholarly nonsense about the Book of Abraham that seems designed to draw attention away from the fundamental issues.

Of the many hundreds and even thousands of pages written by apologists about the Book of Abraham, about 95% seems to fall into this category.

It is easy to get lost in the quagmire, or to think one has to be an expert in everything in order to understand the fundamental issues.

Here is where I think the new podcast has a modest contribution to make.

Indeed, the apologists, starting with Nibley, do anything and everything to draw attention away from the issue at hand and dismiss the evidences that show Joseph Smith's claims have no accord with Egyptology. If it was another religion presenting the Book of Abraham in the same like manner -- today's Mormons would chuckle and dismiss it straight up.

Isn't it rather odd, but here we are dismissing Joseph Smith straight up just like the LDS apologists would dismiss another religion's prophet, straight up.
_kamenraider
_Emeritus

Post by _kamenraider »

kjones wrote:Podcasts? Polemics by non-experts. Consig is an attorney, and Bill Reel? I guess Bill has a high school diploma — but he has "read everything!"

Feel free to put out some light yourself.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.
--Albert Einstein
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

lostindc wrote:They really should've brought you on, being serious.

Oh, not for me. I'd make a fool of myself and wouldn't be able to properly connect and keep up with the conversation. I have a hard time thinking straight (no pun intended) when under public pressure or on the spot. I think and react much better behind the scenes.
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

Shulem wrote:
lostindc wrote:They really should've brought you on, being serious.

Oh, not for me. I'd make a fool of myself and wouldn't be able to properly connect and keep up with the conversation. I have a hard time thinking straight (no pun intended) when under public pressure or on the spot. I think and react much better behind the scenes.

Disagree! For sure you know more about this subject than pretty most everyone. There's like five of you that can really walk the talk when it comes to the Book of Abraham.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

lostindc wrote:Disagree! For sure you know more about this subject than pretty most everyone. There's like five of you that can really walk the talk when it comes to the Book of Abraham.

I hear what you're saying and that's very kind of you to hold me in such high regard.

:smile:

I greatly appreciate your sentiment and your generous expression towards me. I am, however, extremely camera shy and very reserved when it comes to events that require any kind of competition.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Listening to Part 1 again. :biggrin:

The apologists attempted to create the missing scroll theory after the fragments were purchased from the Metropolitan Museum for an undisclosed amount of money. Lo and behold, the Book of Abraham story was not written on any of those fragments so apologists came up with the idea that they must be written somewhere else. But did anyone ever raise the issue that the hieroglyphic writing on the Facsimiles was not missing but is right in front of the lying eyes of the apologists? We can translate them and they don't translate into what Joseph Smith claimed. So why would a missing roll translate into what Joseph Smith claimed, the Book of Abraham?

It's a death blow to the missing roll theory.

Anyway, I'm bouncing all over the place with this podcasts.