Midgley: MI purge reversal by Brethren is imminent

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Re: Midgley: MI purge reversal by Brethren is imminent

Post by _lostindc »

With this current Church leadership, any decision is possible and based on history of these men, I imagine they prefer the only MI compared to the current MI.

I have to disagree that there's not a new wing of LDS apologists waiting to carry on the work of DCP et al. I believe there's plenty of Mormons wanting to fill the Nibley role of noble defender of the Church. Mormon apologetics are very much dead, but there's still Mormons willing to practice this dead art.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Uncle Lou is a bit late with this years October surprise rumour....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Lemmie wrote:Midgley just cracks me up sometimes. What exactly goes on in his mind? Yesterday:
Midgley wrote:Of course the Newsroom mentioned Professor Peterson, just as they should. And I am certain that it will soon be clear that the Brethren were blindsided by the purge and the subsequent "new direction." And are now indicating that they want that reversed. I don't think that Dan will say too much about it just now, however.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... osque.html

So...an impending coup? Or another 2nd Watson Letter-type evolving legend?

I suppose he is pinning his hopes on Elder Holland's recent Maxwell lecture.

I share your amusement with the online opinings of Professor Midgley. He posts up a storm over at Sic et Non, sharing his peculiar brand of the Gospel, expressing his love for Aotearoa/New Zealand, and blasting away at Gina Colvin, John Dehlin, Rodney Meldrum, Gemli, cultural Mormons, and the new Maxwell Institute. A few days ago, he admitted that he is "fashioning a review" of Meg Stout's The Reluctant Polygamist: Joseph Smith Jr. With any luck, Professor Midgley, who oddly notes that "I am not interested in and familiar with the details about what went on in Nauvoo," will endorse the meat commerce theory in his review.

Dr. Midgley recently dropped these bizarre pearls of wisdom about Gemli:
It is, I believe, a sign of wisdom, one of the cardinal virtues, to have some sense of what and why one does not know. Having put bread on the table by doing [description of Gemli's apparent former employment omitted], but never once doing any science, while posing as an expert on science in general, must eat away at what remains of his soul. And his posting up a storm could be his way of compensating for his own academic failures. I actually pity whoever it is who hides who must hide his true identity behind a handle, while constantly repeating the same dismal religious propaganda.
LOL. I am not making this up.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Midgley comes off as quite a ghoulish character. He’s positively licking his lips at his vision of gemli’s misery.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Good Lord, has Psychon M ever looked at how his peers abuse their academic status and pose as experts on a wide array of topics they know nothing about? For instance, the latest offering in the Deseret News which was barely more than a lie fest?

Has he ever read Sic et Non? apparently "some sense of what and why one does not know" doesn't apply there.

Gemli is the very opposite of what the Midge describes. DCP sells everything he writes to his gullible audience on his reputation -- he actually doesn't have to know anything, and most of the time, he doesn't. Gemli is an outsider whose reputation such as it is rises or falls on the quality of his arguments and nothing more. And on that account, he does pretty well.

Unfortunately for midge, refuting the nonsense at Sic et Non doesn't require a whole lot of academic experience.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Amen, Dean Robbers.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist