Dan Petersen in Australia

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Dan Petersen in Australia

Post by _aussieguy55 »

On his blog Petersen mentions various firesides he will be giving. He is to give a lecture on Islam at the Notre Dame University in Sydney Australia. Also giving firesides in some locations. It is interesting that at Notre Dame University a senior member of the Law Faculty is a regular contributer to Interpreter, A Journal of Mormon Scripture.

https://www.notredame.edu.au/about/scho ... h-thompson

Interesting since Australia has legalized gay marriage. Thompson is legal representative for LDS church in Australia.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Dan Petersen in Australia

Post by _Dr. Shades »

aussieguy55 wrote:Interesting since Australia has legalized gay marriage.

The United States (Dr. Peterson's home country) has legalized gay marriage, too. What does that have to do with his firesides?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Why in the world is the Church flying this guy around on its dime? Is he really that good of an ambassador for Mormonism?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Thompson may have been instrumental in getting him over. I was surprised when you take all the Interpreter articles out of his CV not a lot left. Other faculty members have substantial legal articles.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

On behalf of America, I would like to apologize for DCP. I hope his visit doesn't destroy the warm relationship our two countries have enjoyed:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

aussieguy55 wrote:Thompson may have been instrumental in getting him over.

How do we know this is not simply from a demand for Dr. Peterson in Australian legal education circles? Maybe they needed to hear the fullness of Gospel law.

I was surprised when you take all the Interpreter articles out of his CV not a lot left. Other faculty members have substantial legal articles.

Having articles published in the prestigious Mormon Interpreter Blog might be considered a direct equivalent to legal articles in Australia - perhaps for the same reason that the French idolized Jerry Lewis.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

I posted something here regarding this university, deleted it, but after sleeping on it am going to reposted what I said.

If Peterson is promoting his speaking at this University in Sydney, Australia as some kind of big deal...I want to correct the record. Inferring that this University is some big University speaking prize for Peterson is equivalent to saying that speaking at LDS Business college is an huge accomplishment and should be added to his resume'. By listing its name as Notre Dame University of Australia wrongly leaves the impression with his American audience that this is somehow a big impressive lecture for Peterson. It is NOT. This University which is a western Australian university with its main campus in one of the suburbs of Perth way out on Australia's West Coast also having a satellite Campus in Broom, has what I would call a presence in Sydney, in a small 6 story building...like a small charter school.

If Peterson's audience is bigger than a dozen people I would be stunned.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Why in the world is the Church flying this guy around on its dime? Is he really that good of an ambassador for Mormonism?

- Doc

I doubt the Church is spending any money on this. There are some local groups in SoCal who have LDS speakers regularly come out from Utah, and they always pay for the speakers' expenses. Whoever invited Petersen to Australia is probably paying for it (the University?), and any firesides or official Church speeches are just being done because he's in the area.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:On behalf of America, I would like to apologize for DCP. I hope his visit doesn't destroy the warm relationship our two countries have enjoyed:

I didn't realise that they serve Donuts on airplanes...
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dr. Peterson's presentations in Australia are sure to be a big hit.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace