Mormonism in a Nutshell

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Mormonism in a Nutshell

Post by _I have a question »

This is an interesting article written by someone who has managed the transition out of Mormonisms' suffocating grasp.

I grew up in a devout, ultra-conservative Mormon family, in California. Religion pervaded every aspect of our lives: three hours at church each Sunday; daily family scripture study and prayers at home; and church activities throughout the week. Beyond that, religion was part of nearly every interaction and conversation in our home.

“The gospel” was the reason for all our happiness. Happiness came not from doing things that felt good, but rather from knowing that by your actions, you were being obedient to God.

It's an interesting article, worth your time reading it in full, but this little nugget leapt out at me with its poignancy -

Officially, the Mormon religion is called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is a Christian church, with a belief in Christ as the foundation of the church. However, in practice, the core tenet of Mormonism is this: The church is true.

Doctrines and policies and beliefs are subject to change and amendment. They can even be disavowed. Words can change meaning. What members call themselves can one day be lauded from the rooftops, and the next day reviled as Satanic.

Everything in Mormonism is flexible - except 'The Church Is True'.

It's a great point.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: Mormonism in a Nutshell

Post by _Meadowchik »

I have a question wrote:Everything in Mormonism is flexible - except 'The Church Is True'.

It's a great point.

Indeed. That's why I've been saying that the core of Mormonism is loyalty.

I remember pointing it out in the Other Forum a couple years ago and of course there was denial. But excommunication represents this. The biggest sin is to openly speak against leader teachings, even if you are speaking correct principles.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

The church is true and pay your tithing. I would say everything else is negotiable.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Exiled wrote:The church is true and pay your tithing. I would say everything else is negotiable.

Yep, for the most part. Tithing is only a requirement if you want to go to the temple. From personal experience, you can skip tithing settlement and pay nothing if you never go to the temple. You can also fly under the radar in the ward without ever having to publicly declare that the church is true. It's a pretty sad "church" when you must either sincerely believe in their nutty origin story or try to fly under the radar and hope you are never called on the carpet to declare your loyalty or explain why you don't have a temple recommend.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Meadowchik wrote:Indeed. That's why I've been saying that the core of Mormonism is loyalty.

With the reward being; one is a member of the elite and the chosen in this mortality and the Exalted in the life after death.