Elder Snow talks about protecting the environment...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Elder Snow talks about protecting the environment...

Post by _I have a question »

While acknowledging that the Latter-day Saint focus on Church and family is appropriate, Elder Steven E. Snow of the Seventy said he hopes members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints also give high priority to how they treat all of God’s creations.
“[We will] be held accountable for how we treat one another, the community in which we live, and the land that surrounds us, even the earth itself,” said Elder Snow, who was one of four participants in a panel discussion Wednesday, October 10, 2018, at an environmental stewardship symposium at Utah State University. “That stewardship has never been more urgent. Our generation, more than any other, has the ability to irretrievably change the land.”

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... elder-snow

This is extremely ironic coming from an institutional set on building very costly and unnecessary ornate buildings, luxury real estate developments, environmentally damaging cattle farming, luxury retail developments etc.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Re: Elder Snow talks about protecting the environment...

Post by _spotlight »

I have a question wrote:This is extremely ironic coming from an institution set on building very costly and unnecessary ornate buildings, luxury real estate developments, environmentally damaging cattle farming, luxury retail developments etc.

And not discouraging "cheaper by the dozen" families.
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

They need something to point to if there is trouble down the road during their development of the Florida land. Environmental friendly development has a nice ring to it, even if it isn't possible in some cases.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Which Apostle said members need not worry about increasing global populations because everyone can fit into Brazil and there's plenty of room for them to continue to have large {Mormon} families?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')