The 8 Stages of Leaving Religion

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: The 8 Stages of Leaving Religion

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
I have a question wrote:How do you forgive a perpetrator who continues to commit the same offences against people you care about?

I think the thing to determine is if the perpetrator is doing so intentionally or are they a product of the same indoctrination as you were? I don't have the answer to that question.

I do think forgiveness should begin with forgiving oneself for not knowing certain things that led to the discoveries, the sense of hurt and betrayal.

Forgiving others who are victims for also not knowing. Forgiving those who believe and have faith.

Forgiving the perp if as I said, it can somehow be determined that they, too, were victimized.

I'm just not sure how possible these things are when one is dealing with such a complex process that involves the church you once loved and the people that you still do love.

Try to love yourself first.
:-)

I think that loving and forgiving one's self is a critical step in recovery. Knowing that I'm human and that lots of my fellow humans were deceived just like me was a huge help.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951