LDS Church News seeks confirmation bias...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

LDS Church News seeks confirmation bias...

Post by _I have a question »

https://www.ldschurchnews.com/members/2 ... enge-48241

Did you decide to participate in President Nelson's social media challenge?

During the general women's session of general conference, President Russell M. Nelson extended an invitation to participate in a 10-day fast from social media. Did you accept his invitation? If so, we'd love to hear about your experience.

If not, keep your mouth shut.

1.What are you hoping to gain from the fast?

2.What have you learned so far?

3.Please provide your name and current ward and stake. *

4.Would you be willing to share more about your experience? If so, please include your email address. (Emails will remain private and will not be published.)

They aren't seeking the experiences of those who chose not to participate, and are going to stage manage the responses to remove anything that doesn't portray Nelsons prophetic mantle in suggesting the social media fast.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Church News seeks confirmation bias...

Post by _cinepro »

I have a question wrote:They aren't seeking the experiences of those who chose not to participate, and are going to stage manage the responses to remove anything that doesn't portray Nelsons prophetic mantle in suggesting the social media fast.

This is really disappointing. The LDS Church News used to provide some really hard-hitting journalism, with lots of coverage of all sides of the issues. Some of their investigative reports into LDS Church practices were second-to none. I especially like their post-Conference "fact checking" articles where they investigated stories and claims made during the Conference.

They were well respected among their journalistic peers, but they're really gone downhill in the past few years. This must be rock bottom for them.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Church News seeks confirmation bias...

Post by _spotlight »

I participated. :smile:

What are you hoping to gain from the fast?

Insight into becoming an automaton by allowing authority figures to make my choices for me.

What have you learned so far?

Nothing, which is the point of authoritarian control.

Please provide your name and current ward and stake.

N/A

Would you be willing to share more about your experience?

Sure, if I get a tithing refund.
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee