Staggering confirmation bias by Area Seventy in Florida

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Staggering confirmation bias by Area Seventy in Florida

Post by _I have a question »

Elder Douglas B. Carter is a longtime Florida resident and priesthood leader. The Area Seventy has seen a fair share of hurricanes and been involved in several Church-sponsored clean-up efforts.

Big storms happen — it’s a harsh fact of life in the Sunshine State. But Hurricane Michael, he said, is a different class of monster.

“This one will compare to any of the worst storms we’ve had in Florida, post-Hurricane Andrew,” he said. “I think we will see the worst devastation that the state has seen in the past 20 years.”

https://www.ldschurchnews.com/members/2 ... orce-48234

“Panama City is an absolute disaster,” Elder Carter said. “We’ve had three member families who lost their homes completely, and we know of at least 50 other member families in the Panama City area whose homes were severely damaged.”
“We know the stake center in Panama City lost its steeple and had some roof damage,” said Elder Carter. “We can’t get to half of the other buildings in the stake because the roads are blocked by downed trees.”
“We have members in Marianna that are trapped in their homes because of the multiplicity of trees down in their driveways and roads,” he said.
Dothan stake president Mark Salmon is asking for chain saws and tarps to help with immediate damage relief efforts, he added. “The stake president estimates that probably every member home [in Marianna] is either damaged or gone.”

Wait for it...

“We’re going to have faith that the Lord is going to give us clear roads to be able to help the people,” said Elder Carter, choking back emotion.

Yeah, that'd be real helpful of Him...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Staggering confirmation bias by Area Seventy in Florida

Post by _Shulem »

I have a question wrote:Yeah, that'd be real helpful of Him...

But it was the Lord who sent the storm in the first place because of their lack of faith so why should be open the roads now?

Pathetic religious nonsense constantly rolling off the lips of Mormon leaders.

Oh, and no Mormon helping hands shirts.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I would love to see the "Lord" bring down his celestial road crew to clear out all the roads. Those cities and towns hit look like what one sees in hiroshima photos. While here, I would ask that he and his crew do some repair work on houses and buildings too. That is, if they had the time.

It's a shame that it is only imaginary, but maybe if the faithful continue on paying their 10% something real might happen .....
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

To be fair, Mormons aren't the only religious group that does that. I don't like to make light of people's suffering, but I do roll my eyes during these tragedies when a community experiences something terrible, and, with the help of outside volunteers, they all work together to help each other out and rebuild their community, and then they thank the lord for fixing everything. They should blame the lord for causing all that destruction, and then thank each other for fixing it.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Can’t wait for the church to send in “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Helping Hands”. Try putting that on a Yellow Tee Shirt with a large enough font that anyone could take notice.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka