It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dr. Peterson's FAIR Conference Talk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:53 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:
This is the single worst talk that has ever been given in the history of Mopologetics.

I just had my brother-in-law who is a PA read DCP's talk.

His medical opinion is that DCP was under the influence of Ambien or he recently had a ministroke.

In FAIRness (heh), I ought to point out again that DCP is, like it or not, a very gifted public speaker. Therefore, reading the talk probably doesn't provide the same experience as listening to it.

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:27 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I've noticed a recurring comment from his blog. Now granted, I never check it out unless it's referenced here, but I find it interesting that he keeps dropping the phrase, "From an incomplete manuscript...", or some variation thereof. Is this a common thing within academia? I'm obviously ignorant on an academic's processes, so if anyone would like to chime in can they tell us if this is a thing where you have literally dozens of unfinished manuscripts laying about? Is there an angle he's working whereby dropping the notion that he's busy writing manuscripts, but can't seem to *snap* find the time is somehow professional?

- Doc

The nice thing is, he has probably finished a dozen of them. Published them? Oh not likely. But if he isn't at work on anywhere from a dozen to 44 manuscripts all at once, we couldn't get the impression that here we are dealing with one of the most mascho of scholars on the oblate spheroid we inhabit. I mean the man is a machine, a tank, a go getter, an over achiever, a workaholic, and so........ really, everything he says since he reads it all and writes on it all, truly supports Mormonism, the home of vast accomplished intellectuals because the Holy Ghost gudies them in all their endeavors and furnished them with intelligence far above the average scholar of worldly status.

Remember when he was actually bragging about being in Nibley's Egyptian class, and they flew, literally FLEW through Gardiner's Egyptian Grammar, twice in one semster?! From Peterson's view point, this is just totally over the top impressive. From my take, I would have felt ripped off. Why not take a slow TWO years, and really learn the stuff in order to remember it and use it accurately? I mean, after all, how often has Peterson actually used Gardiner in anything he has written?

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 pm 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
In FAIRness (heh), I ought to point out again that DCP is, like it or not, a very gifted public speaker. Therefore, reading the talk probably doesn't provide the same experience as listening to it.

Excellent point. If only going by written transcripts of Donald Trump's off-the-cuff remarks you would swear he was a bumbling idiot. Much better to hear his remarks in person and then decide.

Besides, the audience was all pulling for Dr. Peterson so they probably heard a brilliant address.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:00 pm 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:
This is the single worst talk that has ever been given in the history of Mopologetics.

Shades,

You could have the great orator Orson Wells read this talk and it would still suck ass!

You can only polish a turd so much before everyone realizes it’s still a turd.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:22 pm 
God

Every sic et non blog entry that I documented as plagiarism was originally defined as coming from some version of an 'unfinished manuscript'. After being caught, Peterson would invariably say they were really just notes taken from other people's work, where he accidently forgot that someone else wrote them and therefore he should be excused for posting them as though they were his own words. Over and over and over. Repeatedly.

In that sense, "unfinished manuscript" can only be interpreted as "undocumented notes from non-attributed authors."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:07 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Every sic et non blog entry that I documented as plagiarism was originally defined as coming from some version of an 'unfinished manuscript'. After being caught, Peterson would invariably say they were really just notes taken from other people's work, where he accidently forgot that someone else wrote them and therefore he should be excused for posting them as though they were his own words. Over and over and over. Repeatedly.

In that sense, "unfinished manuscript" can only be interpreted as "undocumented notes from non-attributed authors."

OUCH! What a devastating pattern.

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:50 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Dr. Peterson now seems to be saying that Everybody Wang Chung is the author of the offensive emails:

DCP wrote:
In my August 2018 remarks at the annual FairMormon conference, I apparently misspoke, identifying my Malevolent Stalker as the most probable candidate for the authorship of those emails. (It’s possible, though not likely, that the transcription of my talk, which is extremely rough, got me wrong at that point.) I’ve long thought, however, that, while the Stalker has plainly been engaged in an oddly focused personal vendetta against me for well over a decade, he’s also too highbrow (in his curious way) to have written such emails. By contrast, his wannabe imitator shares that vendetta or even exceeds him in that department and, significantly, isn’t as bright. Furthermore, his hostility seems more visceral — I have literally no idea why — and there are some distinct and specific thematic parallels between his online comments about me and the contents of the emails sent to me.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:11 pm 
God

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Dr. Peterson now seems to be saying that Everybody Wang Chung is the author of the offensive emails

I don't doubt it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:32 am 
God

If the so-called stalker is not significantly bright at all according to Peterson, how is it that he/she has continued to remain anonymous in spite of Peterson's best efforts to find out just who it is? After seeing so many silly posts of Peterson's on various subjects, I am beginning to wonder where the dimness really resides. I have noticed there are many things that Peterson does not grasp, and many more he simply refuses to do so. That ain't exactly the brightest bulb in the pack either. I think it's me sending all those thousands of vicious emails, but I have no evidence. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:40 am 
God

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Dr. Peterson now seems to be saying that Everybody Wang Chung is the author of the offensive emails

What a bizarre post. Under the pretense of offering some insight about a relatively unknown figure (which he of course just copies Wikipedia and pasts some other bits found with a quick Google search), he is positively indignant, nay raging against Everybody Wang Chung ending with a testimony of the Earth's age.

Wat.

One will note he still hasn't offered any proof of these supposed thousands of emails. Sadly, he hasn't messaged me with any sort of offer to prove his rather empty assertion at this point.

As an aside, I think it's funny that he makes it a point to let everyone know he's traveling to this location or that to give some crappy talk hastily copypasta'd together (you'll note he blamed the transcribers rather than taking responsibility for his amateurish presentation), but he's still obsessively following this board. Lol. Crazy.

- Doc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:26 am 
God

Yes, just disclose the emails and don't go through selected "witnesses" to verify that they exist. Let everyone see them and make them public. That way the supposed perpetrator might be caught as someone, somewhere might recognize them and come forward. However, having a nemesis does make someone maybe a little more important just as god needs the devil.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:32 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:

What a bizarre post. Under the pretense of offering some insight about a relatively unknown figure (which he of course just copies Wikipedia and pasts some other bits found with a quick Google search), he is positively indignant, nay raging against Everybody Wang Chung ending with a testimony of the Earth's age.

Wat.

One will note he still hasn't offered any proof of these supposed thousands of emails. Sadly, he hasn't messaged me with any sort of offer to prove his rather empty assertion at this point.

As an aside, I think it's funny that he makes it a point to let everyone know he's traveling to this location or that to give some crappy talk hastily copypasta'd together (you'll note he blamed the transcribers rather than taking responsibility for his amateurish presentation), but he's still obsessively following this board. Lol. Crazy.

- Doc

Good grief. Folks, you just can't make this stuff up.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:12 am 
God

Quote:
Peterson now seems to be saying that Everybody Wang Chung is the author of the offensive emails...

And, apparently, his basis for this is 'thematic parallels':

DCP wrote:
and there are some distinct and specific thematic parallels between his online comments about me and the contents of the emails sent to me.

This is why so many elements of Peterson's stories are becoming less and less believable.

Last year, Peterson posted a few samples he has received from this anonymous person. Does any of this thematically parallel the way Everybody Wang Chung posts?

Peterson says he received this in November 2017:
Quote:

“whine whine whine. baby-duffus-panniculus-shill.”

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... laims.html

And this in September 2017:
Quote:
you’re a filthy liar by omission fat f**k. that’s your sorry a**ed mo ya shifty shifting b*ttplug. ya give scholarship a bad name. ya should retire…..slink off and have a year long gorge fest….fatter and fatter till ya pop. a**hole.
[to which was added:]
p.s. i’ m s a t a n y o u m i s e r a b l e p r ** k
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... ilbag.html

Thematically paralleled, my ass.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:26 am 
Holy Ghost

From a post by Dr. Peterson in February of this year:
Quote:
By the way, my fan and frequent correspondent “Nomen Nescio,” writing from his perch over at the atheistic ex- and anti-Mormon “Dr. Shades” board, has shared this important though rather opaque product of his recent thinking:

pasterson-meldrum cult comedy act comming soon to a venue near you.

That’s the entirety of his latest opus. I’m sure that it must be very profound.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:27 am 
God

Why would Peterson:
1. Open and read the e mails in the first place.
2. Keep them. For years.
3. Put the contents into the public domain, giving the perpetrator the satisfaction and notoriety of publicity.

I think you will find the e mails give Peterson something. He wants to receive them. He wants people to know he receives them. If the perpetrator really wanted to hurt Peterson in any meaningful way, they need only ignore him. Completely.

I'd still like to know if people have considered the notion that perhaps Peterson is sending himself these e mails.

“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 am 
God

In January of 2018, Peterson again said he 'recognized' his anonymous emailer's characteristic style:

Quote:
"you and your cult acolytes love the word ‘scientism’. that’s cult-speak… [obscene epithet deleted]."

Now, I recognize this fellow’s characteristic style and his, um, reasoning; he’s been sending me similar messages for a number of years now
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... lytes.html

The problem is, I don't see anything similar between the style of the email above and the two I quoted in my previous post.

I don't doubt Peterson receives his fair share of hate mail, just like anyone else who has an online presence, and I agree it is wrong. When he repeatedly changes the story to take dishonest digs at specific posters, it just makes every succeeding version less and less believable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 am 
God

Well, thematically they're all critical of Peterson...

That's all I got.

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:55 am 
God

Quote:
...the best way to stop nuisance emails is to simply ignore and delete them. With no reaction or response from you the sender should soon realise that their messages are either not getting through or not having the desired effect and eventually they should stop.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... mails.html

Peterson is reacting in the exact opposite way to which is advised for someone wanting the abusive e mails to stop.

“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

Last edited by I have a question on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:57 am 
God

He can't actually show the evidence, it would destroy our faith in them. To actually see is a far lesser spiritual achievement than to be faithful in belief that they exist. Asking for the evidence is to brand one a skeptic. This just does not build one's spirituality... tis better to believe. The mantle is far, far greater than the intellect.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:02 pm 
God

I have a question wrote:
I'd still like to know if people have considered the notion that perhaps Peterson is sending himself these e mails.

Well, considering how poorly constructed they are I would guess they're fake. It's not uncommon for martyrs to need persecution and when none exists they just manufacture it in order to push their narrative.

One thing Mr. Peterson can't do, ever, under any circumstances, is to provide evidence for his many assertions. He just makes an assertion and let's it fly. He has enough followers who'll run with it, so there's no need for him to be genuine.

- Doc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Thematically paralleled, my ass.

The one and only thematic parallel is that each email message and posts by Everybody Wang Chung on this board, are critical of DCP. As are most posts on this particular board, critical of DCP.

As an onlooker who has no actual horse in this race, I think I have the ability to look at this with a certain amount of perspective without getting lost in the tribal details.

That said, when I see DCP make such assertions or allegations regarding these email messages and this board (Everybody Wang Chung or whomever), I see a man striving to maintain his own relevance.

How? By reinforcing the construct that says, at least in part:

DCP is a target.
DCP is important.
DCP'S purpose is righteous.

That's why the anti's attack him, because--

Anti's are in sinful rebellion against the church because (and this is key)

The church is true.

You're welcome.
;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next