It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Dr. Peterson's FAIR Conference Talk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:45 pm 
God

Does anyone happen to know where I can find the link to Peterson's latest fireside in Canada?

I was told that someone posted the audio online, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:09 pm 
Holy Ghost

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Does anyone happen to know where I can find the link to Peterson's latest fireside in Canada?

Thanks
It’s here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:34 pm 
God

Tom wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:

Thanks
It’s here.

Thanks Tom! Much appreciated.

I'm listening to it now. It's horrible so far. Peterson isn't even trying anymore.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:04 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:
In January of 2018, Peterson again said he 'recognized' his anonymous emailer's characteristic style:

Quote:
"you and your cult acolytes love the word ‘scientism’. that’s cult-speak… [obscene epithet deleted]."

Now, I recognize this fellow’s characteristic style and his, um, reasoning; he’s been sending me similar messages for a number of years now
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... lytes.html

The problem is, I don't see anything similar between the style of the email above and the two I quoted in my previous post.

I don't doubt Peterson receives his fair share of hate mail, just like anyone else who has an online presence, and I agree it is wrong. When he repeatedly changes the story to take dishonest digs at specific posters, it just makes every succeeding version less and less believable.

So, I was looking for a thread that might discuss Mr. Peterson’s traveling since he bragged today about going to Finland for something, and came across this thread from a little over a year ago.

I want to point out that he and his buddies quite often use the term ‘scientism’, especially when disrespecting Gemli. I think this is a pretty good indicator that Mr. Peterson is making up the snippets he claims are from his hateful email stalker. You know. Thematic indicators and all that.

- Doc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:29 am 
God

Here's another example, a recent one, of 'thematic expressions':

Quote:
Louis Midgley to gemli • 5 days ago

But gemli's atheism is nothing but a dogmatic religion. His dogma is clearly not is not a product of any science, but the worship of science--that is, scientism. Please notice that gemli admits that he is not a "practicing scientist." But he certainly worships science, without having master any science.

Anyone still doubt Mr. Peterson didn't make those quotes up himself? Either that, or The Midge really, really, really hates Dan and has been sending him those nastygrams on the downlow for years. Now that would be funny.

- Doc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:11 am 
God

I love that Dan Peterson comes up with the same lame crap attacks as the illiterate creationists like Hovind and Ham. It shows what his education and training and judgment is worth outside of Islamic Studies--less than zero. :lol: But in a fantasy microverse like Mormonism he can wow the rubes like Nibley did--counting on them never to read, never to think, never to question. :razz:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:36 pm 
God

Maksutov wrote:
I love that Dan Peterson comes up with the same lame crap attacks as the illiterate creationists like Hovind and Ham. It shows what his education and training and judgment is worth outside of Islamic Studies--less than zero. :lol: But in a fantasy microverse like Mormonism he can wow the rubes like Nibley did--counting on them never to read, never to think, never to question. :razz:

And me will certainly have the leaders go ahead in that, so that he can even further proclaim he also is divinely sanctioned! :rolleyes:

He does the exact same thing with atheists and their writings, being very selective of which atheists he chooses to comment on, as well as very selective about which of the weakest arguments of theirs he bothers with, knowing full well that he is not fooling anyone but the faithful, which is fine, it appears, since that is his audience. However some of us faithful actually do look into things, and when we do, we come and inhabit this message board instead of the Mormon ones. :biggrin: There is a lesson in that somewhere for apologists.... :eek:

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:00 am 
Savior (mortal ministry)

No matter what position you're trying to argue, this is why it's a mistake to toss weak arguments into the mix in the belief that they all add weight to your case. In fact they weaken your case by giving your opponents the chance to score easy points. So you should play Devil's Advocate enough to screen out your weak arguments yourself before presenting them to your opponents.

If one's opponents offer weak arguments, on the other hand, then one might make them look bad by shooting down those weak arguments easily, but I think it's actually better not to do that. Your opponents may look bad to outside observers as their lightweight arguments go down, but your opponents themselves will never be convinced as long as you leave their real arguments unchallenged.

I think it's best to just ignore all the weak arguments on either side and focus only on the strongest ones. This requires admitting that your opponents might actually have some decent arguments that deserve serious attention, however. Some people seem unwilling to do this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6