The two hour block - what the Church expects in return...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

The two hour block - what the Church expects in return...

Post by _I have a question »

Church leaders are inviting a greater focus on increased participation in personal and family religious observance in the home, including gospel study at home on Sunday and throughout the week and adjustments to home evening.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/changes ... h?lang=eng
Individual and family gospel study at home on Sunday and throughout the week provides opportunities to find spiritual strength on a daily basis and allows greater flexibility for personalized study and revelation. Relying solely on limited time at church for gospel instruction creates an imbalance that is unlikely to achieve the deep and lasting conversion necessary.

So they are shifting the blame. If gospel study isn't fulfilling, if you don't get taught the right stuff or the details, it's now even more your fault, because your learning is your responsibility at home, no longer at Church.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Re: The two hour block - what the Church expects in return..

Post by _reflexzero »

I’m surprised they are encouraging home study groups, which have been discouraged in the past, since they had a tendency to go off the rails and result in policies about imitating rituals and all that handbook stuff.

But I suppose now they have been authorized by the priesthood so nothing bad will ever happen.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

This might be the first step to getting your home study degrees, ecclesiastical "K.Tele.", "K.Terr." "K.Cele." and then "K.Cele.-Ex." instead of the academic A.A., B.A., M.A., and then Ph.D.

Funny, though, not an interactive online experience. Home study seems, well, so 1980s.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

reflexzero wrote:I’m surprised they are encouraging home study groups, which have been discouraged in the past, since they had a tendency to go off the rails and result in policies about imitating rituals and all that handbook stuff.

But I suppose now they have been authorized by the priesthood so nothing bad will ever happen.

I'm pretty sure their idea of home study groups is the dad at the helm with the wife and kids under his direction reading and commenting about the scriptures. I don't think they advocate thoughtful adults getting together and researching or presenting research on the scriptures with each other to discuss.
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Stem wrote:
reflexzero wrote:I’m surprised they are encouraging home study groups, which have been discouraged in the past, since they had a tendency to go off the rails and result in policies about imitating rituals and all that handbook stuff.

I'm pretty sure their idea of home study groups is the dad at the helm with the wife and kids under his direction reading and commenting about the scriptures. I don't think they advocate thoughtful adults getting together and researching or presenting research on the scriptures with each other to discuss.

That might not be their intent, but enterprising Mormon wannabe leaders will start such study groups. Left to their own Mormons can't help but go astray its in the Book of Mormon The Church of jesus christ of Latter-day Saints
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins