One female speaker. No Black speakers.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

One female speaker. No Black speakers.

Post by _I have a question »

Excluding the specific General Women's session (which scores 3 each*), across the sessions of conference there were:
26 Male Speakers
1 Female Speaker

One.

...in April 2017 (excluding the general Priesthood session) there were:
25 Male Speakers
3 Female Speakers

*Interestingly, at the corresponding General Mens Session of last Conference, there were no women speakers.

There were no black people assigned to give a Conference talk. 33 speakers in total. Zero black. It's 2018. 40 years after black people were deemed by the Church to be no longer unworthy.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference? ... C&lang=eng
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: One female speaker. No Black speakers.

Post by _Meadowchik »

“My dear sisters, we need you! We ‘need your strength, your conversion, your conviction, your ability to lead, your wisdom, and your voices,’” said President Nelson. https://www.lds.org/blog/to-the-women-o ... e-need-you

And he said this and also invited women to abstain from social media for ten days, while only including one woman in the roster of general sessions.

Maybe it's just me, but I have trouble believing what he's saying.

PS Dear SCMC, the church will never be able to fully include women's voices until it fully includes them in the leadership.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: One female speaker. No Black speakers.

Post by _I have a question »

There were very few women speakers.

Many observers noticed that only one woman, President Bonnie Cordon of the Young Women, addressed the entire mixed audience over the course of the weekend. This is in contrast to 26 talks given by male leaders during the daytime general sessions.

In the Saturday evening women’s session — which was included during the conference weekend for the first time, instead of being held the weekend before — three women spoke, and three men. In the past, only one man has spoken in the women’s meeting.

https://religionnews.com/2018/10/08/why ... takeaways/

It didn’t help matters that the male leaders’ talks were very much about defining for women what their roles should be — marriage and motherhood being paramount — while the women’s talks were more far-reaching, focusing on women’s spiritual development and the many ways they can serve others.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')