Gaslighting by the Numbers

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Gaslighting by the Numbers

Post by _Maksutov »

Brilliant podcast. Orwell wasn't a patch on the Mormons. From the days of the shifting visions onward.

The acceptance of a smaller flock seems a bit ominous to me. I think they are preparing the members for a phase of intense zealotry to distract them from the stresses and contradictions that are surrounding the institutional church at this time.

Thanks for your work.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Perhaps Nelson will proclaim the Church as "only 6 million strong" and therefore fulfilling the Lords plan.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Now that Mormons--er, "Latter-day Saints"--are once again a merry LITTLE band of warriors, hopefully they will also return to their roots and revel in the fact that they are also a "peculiar people". Ex. 19:5; Deut. 14:2; Deut. 26:18; Ps. 135:4; Titus 2:14; 1 Pet. 2:9--http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/%22Peculiar%22_People
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Loved the podcast
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I have a question wrote:Perhaps Nelson will proclaim the Church as "only 6 million strong" and therefore fulfilling the Lords plan.

Actually, it was Elder Rasband who made the following statement in the Saturday morning session of the most recent General Conference:

"Fear not, little flock." I love the tenderness of "little flock."

In this church, we may be few in number by the way the world counts influence, but when we open our spiritual eyes, "they that be with us are more than they that be with them."

It is at the five minute mark of Elder Rasband's talk.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... 1?lang=eng

Another Radio Free Mormon prophecy fulfilled!
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_I have a question
_Emeritus

consiglieri wrote:Actually, it was Elder Rasband who made the following statement in the Saturday morning session of the most recent General Conference:

In this church, we may be few in number by the way the world counts influence, but when we open our spiritual eyes, "they that be with us are more than they that be with them."

It is at the five minute mark of Elder Rasband's talk.

https://www.LDS.org/general-conference/ ... 1?lang=eng

Another Radio Free Mormon prophecy fulfilled!

What does Rasband mean by that, I wonder...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_The Soap Maker
_Emeritus

Post by _The Soap Maker »

I have a question wrote:

What does Rasband mean by that, I wonder...

_I have a question
_Emeritus

Cooks line about Nephi prophesying that "but their numbers may be small because of wickedness" is an attempt to shift the blame - it's not the Church leaderships' fault the Church isn't growing, it's everyone else's fault for being wicked. He's a cheap, deceitful little crook.

It's a great podcast that slaps the listener in the face with blatant objective real comparisons.

*On a separate note, how boring and monotonous is the " tone" of General Authorities when they speak!
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:Cooks line about Nephi prophesying that "but their numbers may be small because of wickedness" is an attempt to shift the blame - it's not the Church leaderships' fault the Church isn't growing, it's everyone else's fault for being wicked. He's a cheap, deceitful little crook.

It's a great podcast that slaps the listener in the face with blatant objective real comparisons.

*On a separate note, how boring and monotonous is the " tone" of General Authorities when they speak!

Cook has to be the fakest church leader ever. Even faker than baby talking mansplaining Dallin Oaks. God they creep me out. :razz:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Hi, I'm elder Cook, an apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I'm a prophet, seer, and revelator. I know things.