Enhanced security at GC

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Enhanced security at GC

Post by _Maksutov »

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/09 ... -part-new/

Among the new guidelines, spelled out in a news release:
• The Conference Center will be closed starting Monday, Oct. 1, before conference
weekend.
• North Temple will be closed temporarily between West Temple and Main Street two
hours before and immediately after each session, allowing pedestrians to cross the
street in crosswalks and other designated locations within the closed area.
• North Temple will reopen with limited access during each session and each day
approximately two hours after conference sessions end.
• Attendees can bring clear water bottles. Metal containers are not permitted inside
the center.
• Conference goers may bring small bags and umbrellas inside the building, but large
bags are not permitted.
• Personal items such as large purses, backpacks, shopping bags, suitcases and food
items will no longer be stored on church property.
• People are encouraged to walk through Temple Square and the Main Street Plaza to
get to the Conference Center.
• Conference goers are encouraged to arrive early to provide adequate time to attend
the event.

Miles said closing North Temple between West Temple and Main Street two hours
before and immediately after each session will help both motorists and pedestrians.
"Mixing large crowds with cars never works out well.”

And providing a specific list of what is — and isn’t — allowed in the Conference
Center “will speed up the security check-in process at each door.”

The church has not implemented a clear-bag policy, like many sporting venues,
including the University of Utah. “Because we do search every bag by hand, a clearbag
policy is not necessary,” Miles said. “And having smaller bags will help speed
things up.

Terrorist threats? Dissenter props? Electronic recording equipment?

What is the threat here? After Satan, of course.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Enhanced security at General Conference

Post by _I have a question »

They’ve received rumours that people are going to try and smuggle questions into Conference.

If they doubt their safety, shouldn’t the Apostles first doubt their doubts?

The biggest risk they face is from fact checkers...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

There is a need for this enhanced security. Just a few years ago some yahoos parked a garbage truck at one of the entrances blocking the route of some women who wished to enter. A few well-placed claymores and armed Centurions could have disintegrated that obstructive truck.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Enhanced security at GC

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

They have a literal seer stone on hand. It'd be nice if they, you know, turn it on and see crap with it? Like. Turn it on, and then look into it to see if there are any threats this weekend. Maybe that's too much to ask from an iStone, though. If only they had a prophet, seer, and revelator...

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

It’s like the Brethren don’t really trust that prayers and underwear will keep them from harm...

I note they are less vigilant with the protection of missionaries.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')