The miracle of the Sunday School bullet...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: The miracle of the Sunday School bullet...

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Lemmie wrote:Who leaves a loaded, unholstered gun loose in a backpack after target practice and then, the next day, takes that same backpack to church?

And sure, the unprotected trigger of a loaded gun catching on something in the backpack where you are carrying it loose is totally an unforeseeable occurance. :rolleyes:

Sometimes Billybob Ahlstrom Young gets caught up in the NRA rhetoric of terrorists attacking churches and forgets to put the loaded gun on safety. Luckily the HG was there to redirect the bullet.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: The miracle of the Sunday School bullet...

Post by _Gadianton »

Analytics wrote:I thought this part was weird. Starting at about 3:08, the priesthood holder said the following:

"There are a lot of accidents that happen with firearms, unintentionally, without proper tr, but these individuals have been trained, and that's why it truly is an accident and definitely unforeseen. The gun has left the building. Everything has left the building and that, and the individual who had it will not bring that particular, uh, will not be bringing it back to church. I've had that conversation. And that gun will never come back."

Isn't that a weird way to state it? He didn't say this particular gun owner won't be bringing his guns to church anymore. Rather, he deliberately said this specific gun won't be coming to church anymore. Inferring the conversation with the gun owner, I'm guessing something like the following:

Bishop: What the heck?

Saint: Sorry bishop! My revolver doesn't have a safety and it goes off every once in a while. Crazy thing!

Bishop: You shouldn't bring guns to church! They aren't safe!

Saint: It's okay. I've had firearm training and have a concealed carry permit. I'll just bring my pistol next time.

Bishop: I see. As long as you don't bring that gun with you, I'll feel safe knowing you are here with your weapons!

The good-old-boy logic is on full display, "if it was one of us, it truly couldn't have been prevented!"

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt: sure, this was just one of those freak things nobody could have prevented. So what's the implication when we multiply by millions of teachers and others the right-wing wishes to arm for public safety?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.